Home General Discussion

Anybody any good with Flash...?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
I was going to post this in Technical, but it wasn't really modeller related so I posted it here, feel free to move if its in the wrong place, sorry in advance if thats the case.

I just finished the new OverDose website and did the logo as an animation. The sites set up so various logos are created and then randomly loaded on different site visits, and are supposed to be levelshots from the game with various effects on them. Visit the link to see what I mean (But only one is created atm):

http://www.teamblurgames.com/overdose/

Anyway, heres the issue... The Flash file I thought was fine, however I noticed every 20 seconds or so it has a slight pause to the animation. I did at first figure it was down to the first and last frame being the same, so I deleted the last frame and even the second to last frame... No dice.

Here are the source files. If anybody knows Flash at all, can you give me some indication as to whats up?

Cheers:

http://www.teamblurgames.com/odium/od_banner_source.zip

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Look on your timeline at frame 456 for both the Clouds and Snow layers. Both of them have a keyframe at that point which stops all motion, but the layers continue on until frame 500, where the movie loops back to frame 1. The end result is that from frames 457-500, it's just sitting there not doing anything. IF you slide the playback head along the timeline through that region, you'll see where the motion comes to a stop.

The two easy ways to fix this are to either delete all frames after 456, so it loops right when those keys are set, or to slide the keys out to frame 500. You were on the right track with deleting frames, but you need to cut out another 44 of them to get to those keys.

Also, looping like this is a lot like building a walk cycle for a character animation - the last frame of your animation needs to flow elegantly into your first frame. That's going to be kind of difficult with the way you're building this. It would be better to build a movieclip of a single flake falling and place a bunch of those in a container clip, so your snow falls smoothly without needing to animate one giant image.

You might also have more luck using the 'classic' tween animation method for this, it's simpler to work with than the new default tween.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers, I'll take another look at it later when I re-install cs4, formatted over the weekend.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Not any good with Flash, but if you give me Wonder Woman I'll rock her world.
  • Figroti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar wrote: »
    Not any good with Flash, but if you give me Wonder Woman I'll rock her world.

10/10, seriously.