Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - d1ver

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
Hey there,fellas!=)
So I've finally put myself some portfolio page. Unfortunately I have no resources to make my own site yet, so I've used a deviant art offered system instead. Here's the link

http://d1v.daportfolio.com/

There's not much I can do about the site unfortunately, but anyway, If you think some of my stuff would benefit if presented in some other way, or whatever else comments you have, I'd be more then delighted to hear them!=)

and thanks in advance, you're great.)

edit: oh, and it's not so obvious, but if you click the picture name or the "information" circle you'll get some very usefull comments about the picture.

Replies

• downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man i really dig your tanks great stuff!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    downarmy,thanks a lot mate, I appreciate that. If you have a spare second could you please tell me, what exactly do you dig about them? or just dig the most? thanks.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    You've got some good stuff, especially considering you're 19, D1ver, and you seem like a pretty cool dude to boot, I think you've got a good shot at making it if you keep with it.

Wish there was some specifics i could say about your art to help you focus on a weak point, but it's all "pretty good". In general i think you need to decide what type of game you want to make, or more specifically, which company do you want to work for. This is important, pick a company that does either generic fantasy (blizzard), generic sci fi (Bungie), or generic realism (infinity ward), to maximize your ability to make it in this industry.

Aim for a company like this, because if you don't make it there, you can get a job at a place LIKE that company. This is the best advice i can give. Look at their art, learn from it, compare yourself against it. You've got some cool ideas about camera angles, and story and all that, but you really gotta pull that back, the thought and effort that goes into that is only going to slow your artistic growth down. I've stumbled over this myself.

What you need to strive for is art that when you look at it, you immediately think, "Whoa, that's amazing", and it's not good because it's original, it's good because the execution in it is better than other artists. Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to become a tool that a company can use to create art in their vision, and there really aren't that many styles out there, pick one, excel at it. Might sound boring at first, but you'll soon realize just how much depth there is to making art even when you really focus yourself.

Hope that helps dude, keep it up!

P.S. Your bio seems a little too friendly, or "love"ly as it stands now, could be a translation issue.
    You should pick a style you like, find a scene online that has minimal props and textures (but looks REALLY COOL) and try to emulate that scene. Maybe a simple medival hallway, sci fi hallways, alleyway, or open outdoor scene. These are great scene types to practice texture work and lighting. Once you nail a simple scene like that at a professional quality, then you can move on to more ambitious stuff and start working in original ideas of yours.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Haha apparently the above poster forgot that blizzard made Starcraft which is Sci-fi and Bungie made the Myth series which was Fantasy (sorry I'm a computer game nerd). I think he probably meant more of a style that each company has... but as an artist you need to be able to adapt to create all types of art be it more cartoony and stylized or hyper-realistic.

But the excellent point he does make is that when you look at it, you should go Whoa.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there,crazyfingers, thanks a lot dude. No really. I can see that you care and that means a lot for me. I'll have to paint you a present someday.)

Even though I took my time to think about it, but yeah. You make a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for your advices. I've been thinking about similar stuff before, but when you said it now, I took a fresher look at things, and settled down for a while with where I want to go with all of this. Even though I'm a bit busy with writing stuff wright now and probably with some freelance stuff I can't wait to get down to personal projects and squeese some high quality stuff out of myself.) Ideas are flowin'. tra-ta-ta-ta=)

Thanks again. Your advices are priceless...
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I dig the texture on those tank i just done a t34 myself and know how a bitch it is to texture right
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    hey,downarmy, thanks! Yeah it's a tough job. But it's always a pleasure to have it finished and fly around ingame^_^