Home General Discussion

Salary Question :)

Sounds so sweet!!!! init?
Well, to be a bit more precise. What are Salary Brackets in Canada for Junior/fresh Grads, Mid-level, Senior/Lead jobs in art department?
You can mention your own first hand knowledge instead of generalizing the answer. I actually need it. I have to respond to an offer but unfortunately I don't have enough information about it. Studios specializing in a certain genre can be a variable so it will be good if you mention genre as well, if it matters.

Replies

• Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Your fresh out of school and a Canadian company is already bringing you over?
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do I sound like a freshy? :D Well NO! I am not. But I don't work and live in Canada so I need general info or a website or a blog or whatever.
    I found
    www.glassdoor.com
    doesn't show much of it though.
  • Shogun3d
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    ctrlZ wrote: »
    Do I sound like a freshy? :D Well NO! I am not. But I don't work and live in Canada so I need general info or a website or a blog or whatever.
    I found
    www.glassdoor.com

I just assumed since you wanted to know junior/grad salaries as well that you must be a junior/grad freshy.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    ctrlZ wrote: »
    I found
    www.glassdoor.com

I would of guessed that you were out of college since I've never seen anyone else besides grads ask about salary. I imagine, just as in the states salary varys from a person to person basis.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I would imagine a good starting point for negotiations if you're unsure would be to answer their question with a question. Ask them how much their other employees make that match your skill set and experience. That way you dont over sale or under sale yourself.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    NyneDown wrote: »
    That way you dont over sale or under sale yourself.

Don't under SELL yourself. I never knew I was a grammar Nazi. (Oh, and it's "don't")
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Matabus wrote: »
    Don't under SELL yourself. I never knew I was a grammar Nazi. (Oh, and it's "don't")

GRAMMAR NAZI!!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Junior artists (and to be more specific: environment artists) likely start off earning $32,000-$40,000 a year). This depends on the location, company, and position but I would venture an educated guess being within that range.

And asking people to state their salaries on a public forum is a big faux pas, assuming I read that right.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    adam wrote: »
    And asking people to state their salaries on a public forum is a big faux pas, assuming I read that right.

Nice use of faux pas. The short answer is it differs.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Matabus wrote: »

Thanks for the pointers <3<3 xoxo
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    adam wrote: »
    Junior artists (and to be more specific: environment artists) likely start off earning $32,000-$40,000 a year). This depends on the location, company, and position but I would venture an educated guess being within that range.

This. Also, if you are looking for entry level positions, which you should be if you do not have a portfolio and the sample of your work. I'd suggust you should start looking for internships or start working on your portfolio asap. That will bring you up to the level of either getting a contract based entry level postions or entry level postion.

correct me if I am wrong, but my research and job posting showed that you must have a portfolio in order to even consider getting in to the postions related to Arts, Graphics design, Programming and so on.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    honestly, i dont see a problem in asking about this stuff if you ask general numbers. asking people their current salary is definitely a no, unless you`re friends with them. but whats the harm in asking what they started at back in the day when they were a junior.

Yes, i do agree that a job is a job, and you shouldnt ask about money at the interview. i wouldnt dream of it. but, being a student myself, with a rather large student debt, its nice to know ballpark numbers of roughly what you`ll start at just so you can do financial planning. So, its better to ask here than at the interview. doesnt mean it really matters what you make at the start, as experience is experience. it just... helps for planning. the job itself is only one part of your life. paying off debt, and other bills is another huge part.

recently i asked a friend of mine (not in the industry, and knowing she started at 32k a year) how much her pay cheques were AFTER tax. it helps work out how much you can use for your debt, how much for your rent, that sorda thing.

least, thats all i personally ask about money for.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13