Home General Discussion

Unreal Engine Portfolio Group.

I'm currently looking at building my portfolio and wondering if there aren't others out there doing the same thing. My idea was to make a portfolio where everyone uses the specific talent they want to get hired for.

We wouldn't be creating a game, but rather a few shorter scenes across a range of ideas showcasing, modeling, animation, environment design, vfx etc.

I've been told that it shows employers you can work in a team environment. I've believe that if you only had to focus on your specific discipline the end result would be a lot better.

So having said that is there anyone who would be willing to work together?

Post in here or send me a PM.

Replies

• sneakymcfox
    it's a nice idea but in my experience Internet based workgroups tend to split apart pretty quickly without strong motivation (mod teams ECT), the exception to this rule in my opinion is unearthly challenge but then there is at least a minimal amount professionalism involved, also winning it for polycount is pretty strong motivation. :)
  • Disco Stu
    plus you got 1 post if this could work in any way you would have to know them some time
    and have pimped your work before.
    Now it sounds like i need help plox fast :D
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Plus it would be helpful if you showed some examples of your work/skill. It will make people more comfortable knowing that you are as dedicated as they are.
  • Elhrrah
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    Trying to keep a group of people working together on something over the internet is like herding cats. You typically end up with a few core members which will stay in communication, surrounded by an ever-changing group of people who work on, or poke at, things without ever truly understanding them. I like to call that core group 'The Batpod.'

As sneaky said, the hard part is knowing how motivated people will be. You'll find people who'll go absolutely gaga over your project, and then do absolutely nothing to help you with it. You're focus on portfolio work might change that, but not by much.

So what is the base project, and what is your role within it?
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a crappy artist who would actually prefer design. I'll do stuff.
  • Forgetful
    OK, I will post some of my work. I'm currently working on a weapon FX pack.When it's done I will post it up for everyone here. Until then I'm gonna throw this thread on hiatus.

Good advice. Be back soon.