Home Technical Talk

Save UV from Modo?

Alrighty, sorry if this has been asked. I did a search but didn't really come up with to much relevant...

Any who, I've been able to get my simple model UV'ed and what not, but how could i save the UV map to an image so that i may do the texturing in photoshop?

I have a feeling that it'll be really obvious and make me feel stupid... -_-

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Select your UV map from the Lists tab.

2. From the menu bar at the top of the screen select the "Texture" dropdown menu then choose "Export UVs to EPS..."
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I know Photoshop cannot open .eps files... Unless I'm just missing something, or totally screwing this up...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using CS2 and it works for me.

1. File -> Open -> select EPS file.

2. Give the same Width and Height pixel values as your intended texture.

3. Change the Mode: to RGB Color (you probably want this rather than CMYK...)

4. Check or Uncheck Anti-aliased, whatever you prefer.

5. Click "OK".

All done :)

If someone knows how to get EPS files into Photoshop as a path layer rather than as a rasterized layer (aside from select inverse -> Make work path from selection) I'd love to know how.
  • Pbcrazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, very clever. The icon of the eps file looked as if it couldn't be opened by anything, and I hadn't recalled Photoshop ever opening something that it could not already save/open as.

Very nice though. Thank you very much :D
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I'm glad it worked for you.

Alternatively you could give your object a solid color material and render out a diffuse map, then you would have a "blockout" map that you could use as a painting guide as well. Not quite accurate a UV overlay but if all you need is the placement/selection of your UV islands it'll get the job done.

To answer my own question from my previous post:

Apparently you can open a EPS file in Illustrator and copy to clipboard then paste into Photoshop then choose some sort of vector based option... Unfortunately I don't have Illustrator :(

EDIT:

Ok so I've been mucking around with Inkscape for a bit now and so far no dice... oh well time to move on.