Home General Discussion

Universities UK

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
I'll be applying for a University within the next month or so to do game design, my favorite so far is Bournemouth I also like the look of Teesside for a second choice. Is there any where else you would recommend?

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    doesn't derby have a game design course?
    bournemouth seems like the best choice though.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't know bournemouth have a games design course, isn't it modelling/archviz?

I've been to teeside..place is very run-down - but apparently a good course.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Bournemouth/Teeside are the only ones that i ear are any good.
    Escape Studios also looked good a couple of years when i was looking into this stuff. Although they offer online training now aswell, it does look pretty basic.

I've learned more on these forums combined with a couple of books than it looks like i would have learned spending 3 years at uni and saved a hell of a lot of cash.

I suppose thats an option, but not for everyone?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Going on what I learnt whilst pondering a degree, I think Bournemouth has a more reputable `academy`. They're more about artistry above anything else, is my impression. Teeside would be good also. I chose Portsmouth over Bournemouth for a financial reason, had an interview at Bournemouth, which I stupidly declined. Would go to Bournemouth if I could turn back the time.
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the course at Bournemouth is called Visualisation and Animation it covers a wide area but after your first year you get to choose what area you want to concentrate on. I was talking to a guy from Teesside today and he said they've just spent 30 million on there animation courses for new computers and a capture suite.

I went to Bournemouth open day in October and there equipment was top notch really liked the place, to be honest I really want to go there but just need to have a back up plan also I'm applying this year but I'm going to have a gap year to study a fine art foundation course to get my drawing up to scratch.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but personally from experience I would say don't apply for a game design course. If you want to be an artist in the games industry pick a 3D course or a traditional art course, otherwise I would chose to get a part-time job and do as much on your portfolio as possible while you aren't working.

If you do go for a game design course make sure the lecturers are still in work somewhere in the industry. It makes a big difference when you can speak to somebody on the inside now, as compared to one lecturer I had who only worked on PS1 games and still sees the industry from that era.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    TBH I disagree with that Matt, the guys I have worked out who came our of bournemouth were shit hot, really knew their onions
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose it varies from institution to institution. I think really it comes down to the balance between theory and practice. If the course is more theory based (like mine was) then I would avoid it, but it seems like Bournemouth especially has a different ideology.

I guess you just need to make sure you know what you're in for.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /start essay

I graduated from Portsmouth in 2007 with a first in BA Computer Animation. The only reason i mention this is because i soon came to realise regardless of the good grade i wasn't prepared technically for the industry due to much of my skillset being self taught and not production ready. This is a problem you will most likely suffer with whatever route you take with the exception of escape. You will learn more in your first month on the job than you will in 3 years of uni. Luckily for me a i got a job at a games company through some contacts and im now working in London at a VFX company. This is not to say Portsmouth didn't have its pluses but i will get onto that.

I have worked with guys who have graduated from the Animation course at Bournemouth and also lots of the guys i work with now have gone through Escape. Hopefully this means i can address some of the points raised so far:

"Escape Studios also looked good a couple of years when i was looking into this stuff. Although they offer online training now aswell, it does look pretty basic."

Out of your options Escape will most definately be the best one. You are taught by current industry proffessionals to industry standards and you get all their placement benefits after you graduate. They will teach you everything you need to know and more to get a gig in VFX or games. You will learn more in the time at escape than you will in 3 years uni and i garauntee that. Bare in mind though you only get out of these courses what you put in. Ask questions all the time and annoy the hell out of your lecturers to squeeze as much out of them as possible.

"pick a traditional art course"

This is very good advice. Traditional art will be the foundation for everything you do so get as good at it as you possibly can. Most unis will insist on a portfolio or foundation degree. If you choose escape it would be best to do this first before attending as i dont think they offer this.

Be careful of unis who piggy back off the success of past students, its misleading as it has nothing to do with the current industry purely because it changes so fast. Ask as many questions as possible and get a look at the most current work from the Uni. Unis will often pimp work of students who have got into a big company three years after leaving Uni, this is super annoying for potential candidates and very misleading.

Also this "make sure the lecturers are still in work somewhere in the industry" is vital for your education. Its no good having lecturers who are out of touch with a fast paced industry. It wont help you.

Damning insight into uni education over, with the benefit of heinsite i would do this:

- Do a tradtional art course and build up a good portfolio of traditional work
    - Save the money for escape and in the time you are doing your tradtional folio gain as much 3d knowledge from forums like this as you possibly can in preperation for the course.
    - After a course sit down, hone your showreel with your knew super 3d powers and go out and fight for a job.

/end essay

Take all i have said with a pinch of salt. There are definately good things about uni which you will discover yourself :D Ultimately you need to see what the uni offers and work out if it is best for you. You are in the right place to see what sort of work you can achieve and how you can achieve it so you should have some idea of what they should be teaching you.

Best three bits of advice would be:

- do the traditional art course
    - make sure the lecturers are current industry
    - check the most current past work of students to see what they are producing

edit - GNOMON dvds! they are a must.
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much Frubes for your time and advice. I have spent a lot of time deciding whether to go to escape or uni, I know that I would come out a 3D wizz at escape although I would love to have the uni experience too. I'm a very hard working student and yes I constantly pester my current teacher at college so I believe as long as the information at university is right I should be fine (fingers crossed). I have watched all the digital tutor dvd's from my local library and a few numerous gnomon dvd's which are amazing and sooo helpful.

When I went to Bournemouth and looked at some students work (current 3rd year students) I played a game that they made as a team and I was really impressed so Bournemouth is the right choice for me. My tutor said if he were to do it again, he would also do a foundation arts course and then do Animation and Visualistation at Bournemouth. He himself is a an ex-student and he got offered a job at Codemasters while in his last year at uni.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I personally dont think looking at the recent graduates/students work is helpful at all in deciding which uni to go to.

The "good" students would probably have just as good of a portfolio regardless of which uni they went to, or if they never even went uni at all.

Thats not to say that all game design courses are a complete waste of time, because they're not. You can meet friends and other contacts who you may work with in the future, and you get plenty of time to do whatever you want. 3-4 years of complete freedom without worrying about income (assuming you take a loan :p)
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you rate staffordshire uni Yozora?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I'll start by saying I wouldnt be where I am now if I didnt take a game design course. I was a WoW addict with no goals in life, and chose the least boring subject for me to study at uni - which happens to be something to do with games.

But forcing myself into this course inspired me to become a game artist in the final year so it was definitely worth it for me :)

Looking back at it, it didnt really teach me much and most lectures were just variations of the tutorials that come with the software. 90% of the modelling tasks were not games-related so we didnt really get taught about the limitations of modelling for game engines until the final year.

The level design lectures were even worse though because the lecturer took existing, working tutorials and reworded them so badly that they were just outright wrong and wouldnt work if you followed them step by step. So the best thing to do when he hands you a tutorial is to look up the original source that he copied it from and use that one instead.

But I do know that things have been improving since my time there, theres now actually a forum for the games design students and more regular competitions and events for the students. Might be worth asking an existing student to give you his review instead since mine is outdated and hopefully irrelevant now :)

For someone who is interested in game art already, I'd advise against doing a games design course because I know you can learn everything you need by yourself (well, with lots of help from the internet and polycount!) - but for clueless people who don't know what they wanna do then a game design (or any topic really) course may just be the push they need to inspire them to do something productive with their lives.

If you want the uni experience and meeting friends with similar interests then I'd pick a traditional arts course instead.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Provided that your not a "super elite talent" like many I covet in the course I did, a games course can be a good thing except... it doesn't really help in and of itself. Even for a young industry, it's gotten to the point where a form of qualification is a given, and you still must prove your worth thereafter. I was the most popular kid in my course, so maybe I have networking, but I didn't do my work as good as the super-talents. Do I have a job? No I do not and must find a way in from a different angle. So when you do your course, make sure the thumb is pulled waaaay out and do more than what is necessary so you can be up there with the super-talent, knowing your stuff and having a folio that's already competitive at the end.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    if at all possible ask some of the current or past students what they thought of the course, how much quality teaching there was vs how much they just taught themselves off the internet? etc

I found my uni had a - you want to learn it, you go learn it and we will sit here getting paid approach. They didnt even have anyone that knew how to do 3D. Hence my rediculous post counts on community sites like this.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I totally agree with Ged, that's what I found too.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    education is what you make it, any uni is extra.

work in your free time
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spend some of my free time browsing this site and following Maya tutorials. I found the same situation in my first year on this college course as my teacher had no industry experience and he didn't even know Maya as much as I did!
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Edit* just reading about teeside think it was a 30 million building they just built, very nice.

Currently in my 4th year at abertay and yea you learn what you want to learn, if you don't put the time in at home you get nothing out.

Remember Uni is academic, its a lot about essay writing and learning about the fields you want to work in not just about "this is how you make something". Uni helped me alot on deciding what I actually wanted to do in life, finishing high school at 17 and being like "id like to work in games somewhere..." just wasnt enough. Its also about the life experience, learning to cook for yourself, making friends and increasing your alcohol tollerance.

I do wish I had done something such as traditional art but it didnt excite me that much thinking about going to just do art at uni, now i justt have the dedication to teach myself in my spare time and improve my drawing skills etc.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ruz wrote: »
    TBH I disagree with that Matt, the guys I have worked out who came our of bournemouth were shit hot, really knew their onions

Ditto; I've worked with guys from Bournemouth and they were a talented bunch.

Teesides is great, as is Abertey Dundee in Dundee, Scotland.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Hey folks,

Just wanted to post a quick bit about Staffs University since it was brought up above.

We have around 500 students doing variations of Games, 3D, CGI backed up by a team with industry, academic experience and the RARE Motion Capture Studio. I'd hope that we have moved on and made massive steps in recent years, do feel free to visit our student forums @ www.staffsgamesdesign.co.uk You can grab student feedback straight from the get go. If you subscribe to 3D Artist magazine we had some work featured in there on issue 3 I think.

@ The Classroom VS DVD issue. We expect students to do a massive amount of learning from other sources as well as class time. Degrees in any institutions are not training courses and that brings the wonderful world of essays / academia fun bus. We have made steps to collaborate with Industry to help make better assessment to focus academia towards student demand and now many modules are accessed via demonstrations, videos, critiques, industry feedback etc...

I fully understand where people come from in terms of how much a course is worth VS how much a DVD is worth. But you can teach yourself anything in principal, you can read all the history books you want and strive to become an historian without University. We aim to offer so much more than just a DVD, for example one of the elements would be good support and feedback. I believe our student forum will back me up on that should you ask them :-D.

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Hello

Here some information on the University of Hertfordshire Animation courses
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68766&highlight=hertfordshire

The University of Hertfordshire has a BA & MA Games Art course, here is our showreel.

Click here to see The University of Hertfordshire Website

[vv]36073319#at=0[/vv]

Also you are welcome to talk to our student on this forum and here from them. www.3dhit.co.uk

Best Wishes,
    Neil

image14.jpg

image9.jpg

post-1312-1291683966.jpg

post-1312-1291684070.jpg

post-1312-1291684186.jpg

italian_bistro_sunny_by_lost_artist89.jpg
    Bistro_by_lost_artist89.jpg
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Hello

This thread is 3 years old............
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Well you never know, maybe he is still thinking about Uni :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You already have a dedicated thread i don't think bumping old ones with a copy+paste advertisement is really needed
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Staffordshire is a major player if you get your head down and the make the most of the generous time the tutors provide for out of hours help. Me and pretty much all the friends I had there got a job as soon as uni finished, what more could you want from a uni? Its not even the end of it. There are a dozen more who will get snapped up soon too.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio wrote: »
    There are a dozen more who will get snapped up soon too.

We can live in hope :\