Home General Discussion

Thoughts on freelancing while being full-time employee?

What's your opinion on freelancing in your free time for another game company while being a full time employee? Is that considered unethical and may somehow do more harm than good to your image in the long run? Or is this the kind of stuff people keep to themselves and refrain from posting in blogs/portfolios/forums?

I'm not talking about small assets or marketplace stuff here but large parts of a game.

Replies

• Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I know that some places have it in the contract that you can't do this. It might be considered as having a second job and some places don't allow it. That's just a general rule though for full time employment, mostly because they don't want you to be working on something else that would distract you from what they are paying you to do.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you're first party and it's for another platform, don't. I am sure it's in there somewhere. If you're working on a FPS, and this project is for another FPS, don't. When you signed up for the job, I am sure there's a huge doc somewhere that outlines what you can and can't do.

And if it starts to impact your work, and they find out, they will do something about it. Warnings or dismissal. Some places do understand that people need to make more $$, and may be more understanding and tell you "Don't let it impact your work here.".

Just dig up that paperwork you signed when you took the job and see what it says.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    point being from firecracker: talk to the main HR person. they should know whether or not it is OK to do so. i used to work for a place and upon hiring told me that i was able to contract outside as long as i let the company know about it. also, some companies have a localality clause....that means you can't do any work for an outside company that is within a certain radius. just ask HR and be honest.

on a side note....if you are able to take it and all is clear....make sure you have the time to comfortably succeed in the outside goal.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, last thing you want to happen is to end up with more work than you can handle and suffer in both positions and end up loosing them both. Some things aren't worth risking.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, it'd make me sad working a freelance gig while fully employed.

Yes there is a great amount of experience and money to be made but....

Life is about making money to live, not living to work.

I use to live to work, it can leave you unfulfilled and life can pass you by quickly.

... to each there own though... If its fun work, then I would get the okay from the company your working for. There's a good chance they'll be okay with it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I did that, not worth it.

Think about it you would be waking up, going to work for 8-10hrs, getting home then working for another 4-8hrs. That leaves you what 12-6hrs not working? The body wants equal parts work as sleep. So working 18hrs would mean your body would want 18hrs sleep but you would only be able to give it 6hrs max. After a few weeks of less than 6hrs of sleep your work would majorly suffer.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    People shouldn't sleep for more than 9 hours max, but you should also get 30-60 minutes of exercise a day. And take a 10 minute break every hour on the computer.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey tbone!

I would also say:
    Lamont wrote: »
    Just dig up that paperwork you signed when you took the job and see what it says.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    if you all alone its good, if you have family and is married, dont even think about it! ;)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    your body sleep needs are not related to the amount of hours you work.
  • Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely check with HR first, and then I would suggest using a company name instead of your own. That way the checks are written to your company and not you.

The places I've been were ok with outside work as long as they knew in advance, and it wasn't for a competitor.
  • Archania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work full time, do online schooling, an internship, and do side jobs for people.

I'm married and have 5 kids, so the money really helps around the house.

As long as it doesn't effect your full time work and there are no conflicts, then if you can do it - Go for it. Watch the deadlines and schedule the work when your home.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    if you cant find the official paperwork talk to your lead or hr and make sure that you specificaly ask if it is or is not against official company policy. some leads and hr may tell you without even checking that you should not do it, even if it is not against actualy policy. At mythic we had a dont ask dont tell system. we were not suposed to but lots of ppl did and most people knew about it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Every place I worked at had a non-compete where I could not work on a similar product for another company, but I was free to work on whatever I wanted. At Sony, since I was 1st party, it also included XB360/Wii anything.

I am sure your lead will say "Sure, do whatever... just don't let it affect work.". If you think the don't ask don't tell system will work for you (99.99% chance you will be fine), do it. Then down the line after everything is said and done and the product is released, put the work on your website and update the resume.

tedspan.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Easier to ask for forgiveness then permission....
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Easier to ask for forgiveness then permission....

lol

I've done it. A lot. It's called keeping it on the down low. If I ever felt I was being fairly compensated in comparison to the money the final product will make, I'd keep my abilities focused solely on the product at hand, but as long as I'm getting a set salary that's an insignificant portion of the game's final sales numbers, if a posh freelance gig comes along, and I can handle it without affecting my work, my home is my business, contract or no.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Shhhhhh

It doesn't really matter unless you talk about it too much. Working for your direct competitor is probably a bad idea too. Like if I had done contract work for The Darkness or Infamous while working on Prototype.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's called keeping it on the down low. If I ever felt I was being fairly compensated in comparison to the money the final product will make, I'd keep my abilities focused solely on the product at hand, but as long as I'm getting a set salary that's an insignificant portion of the game's final sales numbers, if a posh freelance gig comes along, and I can handle it without affecting my work, my home is my business, contract or no.

Yep!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I've done both before..
    When I was laid off I was offered freelance work, but then ended up getting a full time job in military simulation. I wanted to continue with the freelance because I enjoyed the work and appreciated the opportunity. It was great, but when they needed me for overtime at my military sim job, I noticed the quality of what I was making freelancewise drop. My job kept asking for more hours and ultimately, even though at first things were fine, I couldn't handle both.

So I would say to just review the situation. Either make sure your company allows it or keep it on the down-low, and make sure you can prevent having to drop out on someone. When I started, we were already behind on the project at the military sim job, so that should have been a red flag for me, but I was too excited with what I was doing freelancewise.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    your free time is your own. do with it what you like. as long as there is nothing in your contract saying you cant (and maybe even then). If they complain pull out one of your testies and tell them to suck on it.

and be sure your not going to burn yourself out before committing to the freelance.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    from my experience just keep your mouth shut and no one will be any wiser, just dont go bragging that you are working on metal gear 5 or whatever no matter how excited you are. if you are the only one who know....the only one who can fuck yourself over is yourself :D
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you ever kill a man. Never tell a living soul as long as you live.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    At the very least I'd expect most places would have you sign a non-compete agreement. From what my teachers have told me, it tends to vary from studio to studio; It might mean you can't work at another company in the same industry in your state, but that freelance outside the state would be okay . . . so long as its not the same genre.
    Beyond that, don't see what's wrong with it. I'm going to school, doing an internship, and more or less doing freelance fulltime, so if you feel you can handle the time requirements and stay motivated for your responsibilities, go for it!