Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2009 64-bit Viewport > Configure Driver problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of 3DS Max 2009 on my system, yet ever since I installed them, the 64-bit version will not save the settings I input into the Viewport > Configure Driver options.

Clearly you want to have them at 1024 and 512 with match bitmap as close as possible checked on for viewport glam...

BUT THEY DON'T SAVE!

In 32-bit I can change the settings and exit and re-open 32-bit Max and the settings save no problem.

Other settings I change seem to save upon exiting and re-opening 64-bit, but my Configure Driver settings keep changing to default.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? I would much rather be using my 64-bit version!

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I posted here as a last result, but due to the utmost of irony I FINALLY figured this thing out after messing with it for a week (granted I just posted this tonight.)

Here is how to fix it for anyone that needs to know through Google or whatever:

1. Open 32-bit or 64-bit Max

2. Change your preferences in Configure Driver to 1024 + 512 + match bitmap as close as possible

3. Save the scene anywhere, Desktop works

4. Close 32-bit or 64-bit Max

5. Open 64-bit Max

6. Open the scene you just saved

7. Change the settings to 1024 + 512 + match bitmap

8. Save and close

9. Open 64-bit Max again, and the driver configs SHOULD be saved now.

It's a little weird and a bit of black voodoo magic, but it got it working for me. You shouldn't have to mess with that scene anymore either, so you can just delete it.

Couple google keyword searches:
    settings reset setting viewport won't save issue
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Run Max as admin would've helped you as well I think.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... I can see why that would be. Not running as admin would prevent the config files from changing/saving due to administrator permissions.

Thanks for the additional info Xoliul :)

By the way, I just gave a full tutorial on your shader to my class yesterday and everyone loved it!