Home Technical Talk

Question about poly limits for a Side Scroller.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I'm working on a game with a small team at the moment. It's a side scroller with a cartoony art direction.

I've got a few questions about poly limits. We've decided we want to at least beat the visuals in Sonic Unleashed. I've been looking at screens of the game, and it seems they have a lot of high poly meshes.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/864/864165/sonic-unleashed-screens-20080403094132808_640w.jpg

In that first one, would you guys say they are using a lot of polys for the environments?

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/932/932406/sonic-unleashed-20081120013159376_640w.jpg

I'm not sure if this second one is rendered in game or not.

Replies

• vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    first shot : what do you call a lot ? it's an xbox360/ps3 game ,it may have 200 000 to 300 000 tris displayed on screen including all passes but that's not really the most important.

second shot : this is most defintely ingame, although it's probable that they have higher density meshes for ingame cinematics.

the "at least beat the visuals in Sonic Unleashed" line is really scary, since you don't seem to realize how well crafted visually this game is and how many people worked to get this far. I'm not doubting you guys are talented, etc but man this is really bold and unrealistic for a small team.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry. I didn't give enough details or anything lol.

We're making it using the new Unreal Development Kit. With the first shot it just seems to me that the environments are pretty high poly, mainly because its a side scroller and they could get away with it. If I've got 200 000 tris to display at once then I reckon those meshes would be easy to match. This might sound like a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say "including all passes"?
    the "at least beat the visuals in Sonic Unleashed" line is really scary, since you don't seem to realize how well crafted visually this game is and how many people worked to get this far. I'm not doubting you guys are talented, etc but man this is really bold and unrealistic for a small team.

Yeah, I know it seems bold, but we're pretty dedicated. There's a lot of people at my University that I might try and recruit as well. We know we can pull it off.