Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finally! Dude WIP C&C please :)

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
Hey guys,

I finally have set up my new PC exactly like I want it to be (except that I somehow can´t get PSD pathunwrapper to work), and so I decided to start with a small project once more :).
Since it's been such a while I chose to go with a high quality (and simple) concept by massive black, which can be found here: http://www.massiveblack.com/MBwebolution/conceptart/25/
So here is the model WIP:
dudewip.jpg
I'll start doing the UV's soon, so any crits regarding the model would be great now!

Thanks in advance,

Japhir

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can't believe you didn't choose the guy in the wheelchair...

whats wrong with you?!?

-seriously though, good start.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That looks really nice; very true to concept!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    You're doing a good job with this.

Know how I know?

Because I saw it just now, and thought to myself without reading the text of your post "What the hell? That looks almost exactly like that one dude I saw on Massive Black's page last week."

And then I read the text of your post.

And saw that the one dude I saw on Massive Black's page last week, was in fact your concept.

Hence...

Good job! And keep it up.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys :).
    ScudzAlmighty: lol I wanted something SIMPLE ;).

Slipstream: thanks!

Two Listen: wow thanks :).

Here are the UV's, I also added in the medal thingie for his vest, and optimized some areas. This was the first time I really got to test Renderhjs's Unwrap tools, and it was great! the mirror tool was very very useful.
    dudewip02.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good man, solid model and tight uvs. You might have some problems getting proper padding going in some of the tighter areas, especially at the right border of the hand, could end up with some texture bleeding there.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jaco :).
    I tested it for padding (with solid colors) and it seems to work fine so far. otherwise i'll have to move it around some more.
    update:
    dudewip03.jpg
    hehe. the creepy guy took me way too long, and turned out stupid :P. I'll add in some gray hairs later on.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    HAHA! The creepy guy!
    Good to see you back and posting some art again, dude.
    The mesh is looking nice and still fairly early to crit on the texture, but so far so good.
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    lol creepy guy an SDK...make it happen japhir!

model looks fine, no highpoly?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okok, but after that it's back to serious ;).
    Japhir wrote: »
    creapyguysdkpresentatio.jpg
    Click the image :)

oh crap i misspelled creepy XD
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More update:
    dudewip04.jpg
    I don't like the nose yet.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    dudewip05.jpg
    crits please :).
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good Japhir. Maybe you would consider giving him a watch? looks like you have the UV space for it. Just an idea. Your hand painting is looking awesome, woot.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great work Japhir, and I love the creepy guy sdk, lol.
    I especially like the slight A-symmetry you painted in the face. I think your painting skills are definitely improving, congrats!
    I have nothing to crit really, other than his hands look incredibly big (he could wrap one hand around his whole head).
    So possibly change up the proportions a bit, like bigger head, smaller hands.
    Anyways great job so far!
    btw it looks like you are straying away from the concept, but I like the direction you are going.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys :)
    Brandoom: oh totally forgot about the watch! (or actually: didn't see it).

Brad: Thanks! I adjusted him some to be a little bit more like the concept (a bit less depressed looking though) and I also scaled down the hands some.
    dudewip06.jpg

cheers.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice result so far Japhir, is the face all handpainted?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, that's how I roll ;).
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    looks great - but just one thing, it kinda late to suggest but maybe give the hands more volume - to me it's like he's got delicate piano playing fingers and he meant to be a MANLY MAN MAN!

oh and get sum greyback going - sum grey streaks or highlights..
    oh and sharpen it up
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    :P manly man

looking cool so far. Was gonna suggest throwing some more saturated warm (or cold) colours into the shadows would make him pop heaps more, then some desaturated cold (or warm, opposite of teh shadow colours) on the lighter areas too.
    He's looking a little dead and grey atm

edit: <3 creepy guy sdk too :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    I'll adjust the hands later on, first I feel like texturing :). Sorry for the lack of updates, it is due to general lazyness and an upcoming exam.
    achmed: i'll definitely add in the grey streaks
    Nizza: thanks a lot, I tried applying your crits here, I think it looks a lot better already. any other suggestions? :).
    so here's the (face) update!

dudewip07.jpg
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I think the skin tone is looking a bit too metallic at the moment. The overall look is getting more refined though.

Your workflow of working up the head first before everything is sort of problematic. If you're relying on the head to guide your style, I think you're taking the wrong approach. Quick paintovers and more reference could help this.

It will probably end up pretty awesome though - just my opinion. It's getting there! Reminds me of the low poly challenge.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Heya Japhir! I think you need to work up the other areas of the model a little more. The pants have almost zero info in the texture, same with his vest. Keep it up tho!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I gave in and started on the rest of him :P. thanks a lot for the crits guys :).

update:
    dudewip08.jpg
    some parts are just really quick blockins, but i'm gonna work on everything at once from now on :).