Home General Discussion

What to do if you've taken on an impossible task?

And you only have 2 weeks before a prototype for said task is being assessed?

Is it better to have a go at doing it all, or just focus on one bit and make that super awesome?

I think I'm screwed :poly122:

Replies

• Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if its an environment block everything out and make some stuff super l33t, if its a character try to make everything as good looking as possible imo.

hard to give a specific answer since we dont know exactly what ur working on but its seems ur bound to a nda
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    if its a prototype why are you even trying to make something awesome?
    Protos are just for fleshing out ideas after all.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye!

:P

Yeah...a little vague...details would help.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not under nda so I can talk about it.

Yea so its an environment, but its a huge freakin' environment. With lots of distinguishing features. It's the first time I've taken on something of this scale and it's totally overwhelming.

I know that I need to just be chipping away at it and it will come to me, but I feel such a weight of pressure that I've totally dried up and can't get myself going.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    say you were robbed and they stole your back up drives with your work on them
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Just an idea, maybe worthless. Can't you do things modular and assemble them in different ways? That way you could have different textures by almost color variations only, and use some deformers to make the same asset look different. That won't make it awesome, but could actually make it.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And hacked my dropbox, that's a sure fire solution!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well since its an environment that needs to be fairly distinguished I would block it out and only add detail where things really need it. I dont think I would bother painting it or adding texture's since unless they are the finished ones they usually just look like crap. That being said use a nice render mat so it doesnt look boringly grey either

P.S. there's a bunch of awesome WIP block outs in the Unearthly Contest Thread
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Just work. Don't worry about the deadline. Obviously if you think you'll miss it, then you will. Work your butt off and get as far as you can. Make sure it's your best work though, small amounts of AWESOME work are better than a ton of shitty work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's hard spot to be in. In the future I suggest having the "how-to" hammered out before saying yes... Live and learn. Hopefully you'll do both eh? ha!

Now that you're screwed lets get some specifics.
    - Game ready assets or rendering?
    - Final assets or will clay renders work?
    - What are the objects? Have any concepts or real world photo ref?
    - How close do you get to them and will you see them from one angle or multiple?
    - Are you responsible for lighting?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Work in passes, get everything blocked in and then work on the largest objects first and keep going at it. It might not seem as bad as it looks!

The more you procrastinate, wait the more you'll have to do at the end.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, sub contract out some of the work to freelancers or friends.

A week before the deadline start dropping hints about how the deadline is really tight and it's gonna be hard to make it on time.

Have something to show the day before the deadline, say you've been working round the clock, and ask if you can get a little bit more time.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Step 1. Notify as soon as possible whoever its for that you don't have enough time to complete the task to 100% quality. Deadlines can move, usually not that big a deal. Turning in shitty half done work is.

or.. you could always pray to your entity of choice, stock up on Red Bull and hope for the best.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans wrote: »
    Step 1. Notify as soon as possible whoever its for that you don't have enough time to complete the task to 100% quality. Deadlines can move, usually not that big a deal. Turning in shitty half done work is.

or.. you could always pray to your entity of choice, stock up on Red Bull and hope for the best.

Yeah communication is key, as soon as you think you're in danger of not meeting the deadline, you need to let someone know. Knowing a couple weeks in advanced, things can be worked out, getting told you're not going to make the deadline a day before it is a huge mess and could get you fired.

Work with your manager/lead and try to come up with a plan, figure out what is priority to be done for the deadline, do that work first and work down from there. With something as complex as a full environment, there are going to be areas that are much more important, so prioritizing is the first step.

If this is a situation where you've had a lot of time but haven't gotten it done, and now its crunch time and you need to show results, you're in a hard spot and pretty much just need to find a way to get the work done, if this is a case of just recently taking on a large amount of work, realizing as you get into it that it is much more work than you thought, you should be able to work with management on it and come up with a plan.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans wrote: »

Heh, before I read this response I actually had a quick chat with my supervisor just to explain what's happening and how I'm feeling. Luckily they were sympathetic to my plight and offered some sound advice. Which made me feel a little better at least.

Also thanks for all the tips so far. I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to stay focused on what actually needs doing and planning the best way for it to happen. I still think there are going to be quite a few late nights but hopefully, with some hard work I can pull through and deliver the goods. Definitely some tough lessons to be learned from this.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Some obvious stuff but maybe it'll help.

Dunno what kind of engine you're working with, but some decent decals can cover a ton of ground really quickly.
    Start with the biggest objects you'll be repeating the most.
    Get some good lighting and skybox in, most bang for your buck with a time constraint

Good luck man.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    And you only have 2 weeks before a prototype for said task is being assessed?

Is it better to have a go at doing it all, or just focus on one bit and make that super awesome?
    I just do it. There is always a solution to the problem (at least I like to think so). If you need to bounce ideas around, then you've come to the right place.

Also keep in mind, we are not miracle workers. If a task is too big, or grossly over-scheduled then you, as the person carrying out the task, and your supervisor, as the one who dealt it out, should talk about it. If you agreed to it out of naivety consider this a lesson learned.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Break down all the steps that are required to finish the job. Estimate the time required for each step. Prioritize said steps.

If you're not going to make it at all after breaking it down you need to tell your lead what you CAN do. Maybe that's enough. Maybe they'll get you some help. Maybe nothing changes in which case you've lost nothing by telling them.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Block in and then refine, as with everything.

And also a little crying.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I personally would pick a focal point, the most important bit that describes the envo and focus on making that great, then cheat with some matte background for distance stuff to make it look bigger.. depends if you just have to see it as a big space, or if you have to be able to actually explore every inch
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sound advice guys. Thank you.

I really feel a lot better about it now. Just talking about it helped to ease the pressure. I've actually managed to get some good stuff done tonight, and the more I think about it the more confident I feel about being able to do a competent job.

Just got to keep chipping away at this beast of a project.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Most important, get some sleep. Make sure you have some down time watching tv, reading or better yet get some exercise before you try to sleep or your head will be full of work stuff and you'll get a terrible rest.

10 hours of quality work in a day is better than 20 hours when you're sick of staring at the screen. You get slow, sloppy and make mistakes that way. Save the major crunch/all nighters for near the end if you really need to.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    bust ass the first week to make yourself feel a little bit more relieved.....

i know what you are going through....even if it's something i've experienced outside of "work"....that initial "oh fuck....here comes the mega panic". that(and i'm not religious) is some straight up evil devil shit talking. but like i said before....start hard. the last thing you want to do is end up feeling this stress x's 5 a few days before deadline.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Block out well and use modular pieces, dont pull to many all nighters the first week to save energy for the final push.

Its also not to late to fill out a Best Buy application!
  • Emperors Teeth
    I read about an artist who worked on book covers once, I think it might even have been on CGTalk. He said, he found it was best to work in passes over the entire piece. Meaning that you complete one stage before moving on to the next. EG:

1/ Block everything out.
    2/ Completely model everything.
    3/ UV map everything.
    4/ Block out textures for everything.
    5/ Add detail to the textures.

Not definitive by any means, but as a result, at the end of any stage, you would have a complete piece of work to that standard. Which is better than 90% blocked out with one finished piece which gives away that you ran out of time.

Hope that is of some help? I stick by that advice and it does me well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2nd option that has always stood me in good stead. If you know you're going to screw up/not finish no matter how hard and how much help you draft in; tell the person it matters to. Explain to the guy you told you could do this that you can't do it in the alloted time to the required standard and why. They'll be pissed probably, but better that than come deadline day and let them down big-time.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is making me so disillusioned with everything I used to be passionate about. I'm getting severe resentment towards it all.

It's hard to stay motivated when you're sick of the sight of your work.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    This is making me so disillusioned with everything I used to be passionate about. I'm getting severe resentment towards it all.

It's hard to stay motivated when you're sick of the sight of your work.
    How about a different source of motivation: food, job, taking care of family? Just get through it, do the best job you can in spite of and move on. You will be fine.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I read about an artist who worked on book covers once, I think it might even have been on CGTalk. He said, he found it was best to work in passes over the entire piece. Meaning that you complete one stage before moving on to the next. EG:

1/ Block everything out.
    2/ Completely model everything.
    3/ UV map everything.
    4/ Block out textures for everything.
    5/ Add detail to the textures.

Not definitive by any means, but as a result, at the end of any stage, you would have a complete piece of work to that standard. Which is better than 90% blocked out with one finished piece which gives away that you ran out of time.

Hope that is of some help? I stick by that advice and it does me well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2nd option that has always stood me in good stead. If you know you're going to screw up/not finish no matter how hard and how much help you draft in; tell the person it matters to. Explain to the guy you told you could do this that you can't do it in the alloted time to the required standard and why. They'll be pissed probably, but better that than come deadline day and let them down big-time.

That is great advice even if you're not in a hurry! :)