Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prince of Persia

My latest work in an attempt to become more efficient at sculpting cloth.

Concept not mine

prince-of-persia-art-1.jpg

3 hours in so far, basic blocking.

popwip.png

Hopeing i'll learn alot and will be able to turn it into a folio peice, let the learning commence!

Replies

• Hitez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell. everyone on this site uses the words "basic" and "quick" so much. just a "quick" mock-up (which obviously took a long time), or a "basic" block out...
    these are things that would take me hours to do. more than 3.
    good job though, looks good so far.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I was thinking the exact same thing Hitez, the exact same thing...

Awesome concept! Can't wait to see the finished model.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more blocking in

sorry about the over-the-top ao at the this stage..is needed until I built on the details :D

pop2w.jpg
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more blockin pls

shortened arms

update3.png
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    It looks really cool, but I think he's losing some of the dynamic-ness because of a couple things.
    The scarf is wrapped so tightly about his head; in the concept its a lot looser, you can see some of his neck, and there's nothing covering the face.
    You've also added extra details to the duster, that aren't there, or really necessary (Eg. the extra spikes around the shoulder, the many more diamond shapes going down the torso).
    The proportions look off; the upper arm is longer than it should be in comparison to the lower arm, and you kinda have the same problem with the Deltoid : Upperarm area.

I guess what I'm saying is: there's nothing wrong with changing up a concept so its more your own, but only when the changes help out the character or presentation, and they don't seem to be.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great points! I'll definately fix those
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more blocking in

progress.png

Not sure if I should HSM the belt or do normals in photoshop, the concept is unclear, added some placeholder shit to it while I consider this, advice is always appreciated.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpted some of the anatomy that will be showing..

anatomyg.png

no dick jokes please.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Is it cold in here or is i-you know what, nevermind.

The left (his right) kneepad should be more closed up to match the concept. Also, that scarf still needs to be a bit looser around the neck. It seems the concept uses it to imply trapezius muscles of steroidal proportions.

Other than that this is coming along nicely.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about the wild material schemes, y'all much think I'm packing some X while working.

I'll move the kneepads up in the next update, also deleted neck scarf sub-divs and will re-do definately.

face has yet to be worked on properly

update4.png
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    nice, base proportion work ok but currently the folds are smudgy, it makes the weight of clothing fade.... try playing with the slash 2 brush from zbrush and it may improve the folds effect. The bicep seems a big to long.

Its improving nicely, take as much time as you need, quality over speed.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Not bad man, here are some things I notice off the bat.
    Granted, I'm not sure what sub-d level your at, so you might be planning on fixing some of these issues soon anyways.
    Anatomy issues:
    -wrists too small
    -the brow cheekbone, orbital nasal folds, chin need to be defined more.
    -Mouth looks a little narrow
    -Nose and mouth look a little low on the face
    -Bicep has a gap between the forearm and sort of connects towards the inner arm (your bicep goes too low and doesn't show where it connects)
    -belly button looks too low, and hips could be higher up
    -the rib cage / oblique area looks really weird. That's not really how the muscles are in these areas.
    -Also there is too much separation in the chest, you should at least smooth out the upper chest more.
    -Too much separation in the stomach muscles (abs and obiques)
    -nipples are too far off on either side
    -fingers and hands look too long/thin. I think the forarm should be longer and the hands shorter.
    That's all I can think of atm.

The wrinkles your sculpting look nice to me so far. I know how tricky they can be.
    My only advice is to just be sure that they all make sense. By this I mean make sure the are more defined in areas of tension, and allow them to fade out where the tension would be low.
    It all looks too tense to me atm. But in the area of tension it works well I think.
    This is my favorite book on wrinkles, that you might wanna check out: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Wrinkles-Drapery-Solutions-Practical/dp/0823015874[/ame]

As Matt said take your time with this. I know I threw a lot of crits at you, but its only because at this early stage it looks really good to me and I wanted to pin point Everything that I could think of to crit.

Good luck man, I'll be watching this one. :)
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crits and support , will definitely address those!