Home Technical Talk

Soo Yea UVW'S

Basicly I am a self taught when it comes to uvw mapping, and lets just say my uvws suck ass so I have to make up for bad uvws when texturing and makes the process longer. I recently completed the low for a project mesh I was playing with but when it came to UVW mapping it I found myself raging or spending way to much time in areas I shouldnt have. Can anyone think of a great DVD or tutorial site or would someone make a video explaining their tips and tricks for 3d studio max?

Here is the mesh

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/ICRYWHENIPOO/M730A2/?action=view&current=sidewires.jpg

The videos ive been watching lately on uvw mapping always have simple mesh's and never something to complex and the complex mesh setup is what cripples me I think. Thanks for reading this and hopefully this can come of some good and maybe help someone else in this sittuation as me.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    hey dude,
    It really depends what the mesh is going to be used for really - it can ask for very different UVs.
    What about uploading a small part of the mesh? we could 'solve' the case!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Pior. Uploady the mesh. Sometimes a good demo on something familiar can be golden.

There really is a dearth of good middle to semi advanced tutorials out there across many parts of our disciplines no?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    at max4 times when there were no working autounwrap features i was a kickass uvmapper, but all that tools makes one lazy
    but i always thougt cutting and relyxing until tehre are no dissortions anymore and then cutting again to fit the canvas would be enough
  • Bruno Afonseca
    First of all, get this: http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

What I'd to on this mesh of yours is: Explode everything and stitch things around.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy animated gifs batman
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Vailias wrote: »
    There really is a dearth of good middle to semi advanced tutorials out there across many parts of our disciplines no?

Absolutely. I'm self-taught, and sometimes the lack of more theoretical aspects of CG really frustrates me. The Guerrilla CG project was trying to remedy this, but they haven't updated their site in an age so I guess they hit a roadblock somewhere along the way.

Obviously beginner-level tutes are easy to find, but you're right - when it comes to real progression in teaching the more advanced aspects of stuff (especially UV mapping and texturing), sometimes it's like pulling teeth trying to find good learning resources. Not so much in terms of explaining which tools perform which functions, but why certain things are considered good practice.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well I would say that the best practice is not coming from 'advanced' tutorials but mostly from opening pro meshes and looking at them ... There is still tons to be found from official q3a models and customs too, Unreal2k3 was very good for quite detailled armored stuff (Sapphire, and the big dudes I forgot the name of), Also UT3/Gears are good for relaxed, normalmap friendly UVs I would think.

It's out there!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    pior wrote: »
    Well I would say that the best practice is not coming from 'advanced' tutorials but mostly from opening pro meshes and looking at them ...

I think this approach combined with pushing yourself to achieve results (or even techniques) you're not overly familiar with and learning from the experience of doing something solo rather than relying on tutorials is the best way to move forward.

Solid advice, pior!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Flatten Mapping + Stitch Tool + Alcohol
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UVLayout -> Segment Tool (see video)

:poly122: :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, no matter how simple or complex the asset is i take pretty much the same approach to uv mapping:

(in modo)
    1. Select seam edges
    2. Hit unwrap(auto unwrap etc)
    3. Adjust seam selection to account for any major distortion or missed selections, sometimes this means breaking some chunks up a little more
    4. Relax, a few times depending on complexity of shapes
    5. Clean up, straighten edges, weld+sew etc
    6. Sometimes, rarely i will need to re-unwrap a selection if it has some complex (curves, snake like shapes) with interactive unwrap on and pin some points to straighten things out. Generally soft select move and relaxing a couple times is enough to fix most issues.
    7. Auto pack or throw a checker texture on to get consistant density
    8. final pack, offset any mirrored parts etc

I do this for mechanical, organic, it doesnt matter.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    2 walkthroughs in 3dsmax using TexTools (though most of it can be done with the basic tools but in more steps though)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J70XVGZdww[/ame]

older video
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXCFF8alBs[/ame]

My basic steps usually are (in 3dsmax or somewhat similar in headus UVlayout):
    1. explode all UV faces ico_explode_layout.gif
    2. select shell faces that form a good UV shell and flatten + relax it as a new UV island using ico_quick_flatten.gif
    3. after you sorted all faces into UV island groups together, normalize ico_normalize_uv_shells.gif
    4. now its about placing/ orientating shells in a compact and readable manner by using mostly these ico_line_up.gifico_align_shell_to_edge_axis.gifico_rotate_compact.gif
    5. final touch ups like lining up edges or rectify quads or rectanle UV faces using the tools ico_straighten.gifico_rectify.gif
    6. finally crop everything to a minimal square box using ico_crop_uvlayout.gif