Home Technical Talk

advanced file searching

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
hey guys, I've found a need to search for a specific aspect ratio of pixel dimensions, anyone know of a cataloging application that can do this?

I've already tried bridge and xnview. Xnview allows me to search by specific pixel dimensions but I've got thousands of images to go through and I need to pick out all the perfectly square ones since the images I need may not be a specific size but will be a specific ratio.

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you could code a proggy with c# (pretty easy)
    in that you reference an image lib that covers teh formats that are in your folder
    (geting the names would be more complex, i thing system.path does the job tehre)
    then you just load the metadata of the images (specialli with and height) and divide them
    with/height if the result is 1, you copy the file in another folder

i could do that, if i had the right image library

yep here is one
    http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/download.html
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    you could also do this relatively quickly with python and PIL
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    nuts.. no preexisting apps? that kinda sucks since I need to do a sort asap I don't have time to wait on our nonexistent tools team to do something and I don't have the skills to do it myself. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.
  • Hardboiled
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hardboiled polycounter lvl 13
    You can do this in Adobe Bridge (using CS4, have not tested other versions). Generate a search result (edit>find...) or whichever method you like. In the filter panel on the left (window>filter panel to turn on/off) you should see a Group labeled Aspect Ratio. Expand this to find a series of aspect filters, 1:1, 2:3, 16:9, etc... Just click the one you want and your search results should filter down to just the selected aspect.