Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bugatti Veyron WIP, 1st Model

Hey guys, 1st post, I've been using 3ds max for a few weeks now, working on this model. It is from a tutorial but its deffinately gotten my modeling skills to the point where i can work on new projects more efficiently.

A lot of parts are detached as elements, hence the numerous hard edges

Feel free to critique/ criticize, should have more done by the end of the weekend

wip7front.jpg

wip7rear.jpg

wip7engine.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its pretty bumpy and places and could be smoother, can we see the wires?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's the base mesh; yeah there a few spots I'm going to deal with later, like the back lights are probably just going to be deleted and ill do the whole corner againwip7frontwires.jpg

wip7wiresrear.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    looking very good for your first model. For the bumpy areas try evening out the edges nicely then select the poolys between the edges and apply the relax modifier, tweak the settings and collapse the stack when it looks clean but be sure to set it to leave outer points fixed. Then you can use soft selection to pull things back in shape.

Someone feel free to correct me if this is the wrong approach, thats just how I would handle it.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dippndots, not bad for your first model but there are a few things you need to bare in mind. Your low poly isn't low poly enough and thats why you are getting a lot of smoothing errors.

The closer edges are together the harder the line will appear in your render. Thats why keeping the low poly as low poly as possible means you can achieve an even smoothing across the whole body. In areas where the density of your mesh rockets you get the errors we can see in your renders. Also, adding more edge loops will often create flatspots in reflections because depending if you have used tools such as flow connect, new edge loops wont conform to the surrounding topology.

If i was you i would move as many of the unneccesary edge loops as possible and see how that affects your smoothing.

Good start though :) Not a bad first model at all.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    not bad, mind linking the tutorial? if its online that is.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    @Rhinokey
    There is a Bugatti tutorial up at 3dtotal, but you have to buy it:
    http://shop.3dtotal.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_60&products_id=263&osCsid=s85n94nc6tu4rog8kl1avac1v3

Looking good so far, especially good for you first model.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Xaltar - Thanks for the tip on the relax, and soft selection it really helped correct some of the larger areas that had some obnoxious undulations in the topology.

I also tried some of the other freeform tools, that push/pull tool seemed pretty handy at first but seemed to easily get out of control

@Frubes - Yeah I only discovered flow connect 3/4 of the way through the model lol, definately more accurate (most of the time) than using regular connect to span larger distances; would be nice if they had one that did the same with vertex to vertex connections though. I discovered the How Do You Model Dem Shapes sticky yesterday, and read through it. Pretty much reiterates what you said about correcting the mesh.

I'll probably just fix the worst problems with the smoothing for now, and I'll focus more on correct topology in my next projects

@ Rhinokey - Toren3d's link is the tutorial im using, but for the price its a pretty good deal, the tut is 110 pages long, and it deffinately doesnt hold your hand every step of the way.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got loaded with things to do in the real world last week so i didnt get to work on the model as much as i would've liked but i got the rest of the mesh done, and did away with as many of the smoothing problems as I could without deleting mesh and starting over. I'm working on texturing this but the material editor is pretty immense to noobs of my caliber, but i added a rough (very) textured version for kicks

finalrendercollage.jpg

frontwip1.jpg
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like you nailed the shape pretty good. It would not be right to start over but making some changes as I`m sure you have are improving it. I would check this guy`s work for the future, if you plan on making more cars. Some say he has too many polys and with less you get more control, who knows, each to their own, but I think this guys poly flow is something to admire. http://forum.cg-cars.com/showthread.php?t=6552

Keep it up!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the link man, deffinately helps me visually in terms of mesh flow especially when cutting holes in the mesh, wish i had seen it before i started lol. Since the worst smoothing issues im having are on the back ill probably just screen shot the front after i texture it and call it done, since it came from a tutorial I'd rather move on to projects of my own creation, and continue my correct topology learning from there.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are the final renders, turned out better than i thought, couldn't get a good rim/rubber material, but w/e

finalrender2.jpg

finalrender.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    bugatti.jpg
    more ref :) it should be wetter
    http://www.geekologie.com/2009/11/youre_doing_it_wrong_superrich.php

looks pretty sweet manmaybe a bit over shiney
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks rhino, lol at the nub that ruined his car. Yeah the paint looks like its still wet, ill get a better handle on it next model
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Dippndots wrote: »
    here are the final renders, turned out better than i thought, couldn't get a good rim/rubber material, but w/e

finalrender2.jpg

finalrender.jpg

This looks very good for a beginner.
    Alloy rims should be a shellac material with glossy reflections on the first layer and a faint chrome layer ontop. Chrome rims should just be a very dark diffuse and a nearly 100% reflect value with no fresnel. It looks like your material is not so bad for a chrome rim but you need to light them better. Try placing a light off at an angle where it will be in the reflection so that the rim will highlighted. Also, if you look at automotive photography in 3/4 views like this the wheels are always turned in a way to show the rim. Turning the wheels also makes the car look more active.

Instead of calling this project done I would post it on cg-cars and get help with your poly flow and then your lighting and rendering. This is so good for a first model but you have the opportunity to learn a lot more from it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I like this!!
    Seems like you have a nice, simple environment/shader for the car's body. I personally usually do it realtime with a cubemap but! I was wondering what you used here. It looks simple and very efficient.

Congrats on a nice piece!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man its a pretty simple setup i guess only took 15min to render each frame, and i probably turned on some stuff that made little difference to the quality.

Here's a pic of the render setup, the background is just a plane with a zero specular highlight grey material, the 3 mr. omni lights were used to add some extra highlights to things like the chrome, rims and tires and they dont cast shadows or effect the diffuse (except for the highest one). the two planes up top have a self-illuminating material on them for the long highlights. That skylight wasn't even on in the 2 pics lol i forgot about it, doesnt change the render too much, just makes it a tiny bit brighter.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't seem to get the shadows a lot darker (I didnt tinker around to long though).

rendersetup800x485.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that's interesting. Well except for the 15 minutes render times but hey! I guess that's the norm.
    I render stuff so rarely, MR always seems like a huge complicated thing to me. Wonder where I could learn the basics quick and dirty!

Thanks for the advice!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i learned pretty much everything I know about MR from this dude's tutorials

http://www.mariomalagrino.com/tutorial0.html

He's all about simplicity which is nice.

His final gather samples are pretty high though, I played around with the render settings just now and got a 2min render that looked negligibly different from the 15min one lol, had some stupid stuff ticked.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks, I think I've seen this page before but lost the link since. Very helpful, thanks again!
    Good luck on your next project!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad to be of service thanks man
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    very sexy renders, i'm not a cg car modeller, but the first impression is - great!
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @alec: hey man thanks for the tip on the rim material and lighting im playing with it right now, your setup definitely gives more control over highlights/ reflections compared to what i was using (arch+design mat). I totally forgot about the turned wheels thing, thanks for reminding me. I'll post the car on cg-cars after i tinker around tonight.

BTW I didnt see your post til today /faceplam... sorry

@Omar: Thanks man glad you like it
  • Scyfon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scyfon polycounter lvl 9
    Man...if only my first model looked like this...
    Great job!
  • 3dmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! thats great... i've been modeling a bugatti veyron car too... but yours is smoother.
    but i think you should use a skylight in mentalray option. the rendering will be better with a realism touch. (sorry by my english - i'm from el salvador)
    here's one of my renderings:
    [IMG]file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/3dsMax8/RenderOutput/bugatti/1.bmp[/IMG]