Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shaolin Style Fighter

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stutts polycounter lvl 11
here is a guy I started modeling a while back during lunch at work I am just about finished with the hi res and I will start the low poly soon just though I would try to get some input on him before I go on to the lowpoly. Thanks for looking

FighterWIP07.jpg

Replies

• ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    what makes him look at all shaolin? his pants maybe. i mean it's a cool sculpt, just don't get what the connection is. his nipples bug me a bit
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya i don't seen anything that says shaolin either. His anatomy looks pretty decent but the pants could use a bit more flow to them, especially in the front. They don't appear to flow naturally at all and have an unnatural vertical crease running down the front of the legs. Overall pretty nice sculpt though
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet sculpt would be cool to see him in some badass poses with a bow-staff, his abs and pecs are bugging me though, the transition between muscles is rather off
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool sculpt!

I would think about easing the tension in some of the lines on his body... most notably: sternum, abs, and back. I see little nests of razor sharp grooves that are making him seem unnatural to me...

--edit--

Don't forget to separate the pecs (left and right side)! Currently it seems like one big muscle form...
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey overall it's a pretty nice sculpt, besides what others have said there is something about his head bugging me from the front view. I think his forhead is too small, which is fine if that is a unique style you're going for, but personally due to the angle of it and overall size (too small) it gives the impression that his head is tilted backwards even though he is looking straight ahead.
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek- The shaolin thing will become more apparent later when he is posed (hopefully it's more apparent) and I'll play with nipples and try to make them more appealing :poly121:

AnimeAngel- Yeah I am going to go back over the pants again and try to smooth out the crease in front

Dippndots- I will go over where the muscles attach in the last sculpting pass but i will try and keep an eye on those areas. and that is what I had in mind for the final pose :thumbup:

Jon Rush- Yeah I still need to go back and smooth all the bad groves out before he's all done and yeah the pecs will be addressed for the next update

vcortis- yeah the head is just a style choice

Thanks for stopping by and looking guys, I should have an update later this week, hopefully the anatomy fixes will be done and the lowpoly will be finished also
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think part of the problem with this fighter reading as shaolin fighter is he looks too bulky and he doesn't look Chinese at all. He minds me of Sagat. To make him look more Chinese make him more slim and fix the facial features so they look more Chinese, but that's up to you. Nice work.

Some shaolin fighters ref

57ab60c73730237d0ab6.jpeg

Sagat.jpg
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool. As for the whole shaolin/not shaolin thing, I think you can just reference this image and you'll be good.

shaolin
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Pretty cool. As for the whole shaolin/not shaolin thing, I think you can just reference this image and you'll be good.

shaolin

lol! I think you're right that will fix it
  • RisTar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great sculpt. I would spent some more time on the abs, there is no muscle definition in that area.
    Looks nothing like a shaolin fighter but it's still a great character!
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated image from post #9 tweaked the abs a bit so I am now working on the lowpoly hopefully that will be finished this week, depending on how busy work is
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    srry for the late reply man, the hands are super small at the moment this is very noticeable in the side view. nice work on the feet tho cool tabi~esque design.

-Woog
  • Kupikimijumjum
    Cool sculpt.

I'm not sure why, but the wrists are bothering me a bit. It kind of looks as if the forearm is curving slightly toward his body. Perhaps if you make the hands bigger as per woogity's suggestion, it will read better, but as it is now they look kind of wobbly.
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so instead of Shaolin we will just say he is a kung fu fighter anyway here is an update it's a print screen from 3DS Max. crits and comments welcome

WIP12.jpg
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update, so here it is

I think I am ready to move onto rigging him, I have added the top which can be swapped out. I rendered him here with a very low quality vray render. I think the final I will do a render of him in vray and probably through him into Marmoset. Any way this is were I am at now.

KungFu.jpg