Home General Discussion

PSN account hacked... lol @ sony support

venain
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
venain polycounter lvl 12
So this is pretty strange and from all the googling I've done, I haven't seen anyone else have this issue. Basically, someone got into my psn account (no clue how, I have never shared that info before) and purchased like $200 worth of games using my CC. I emailed sony support, and they basically said "if you reverse the charges, we will ban you, file a police report if you want".

I'm pretty shocked by that for some reason, though it's sony so I don't know why I'm surprised. So I'm either out $200 or I get my account banned, which at this point seems like a better option.

Anyone else have any issues like this?

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Reverse the charges. Also if they wanna play that shit, ask for transaction information which hopefully will get you an IP address since you know "You bought it and want the records.", which should get you a location and time. Call the isp and fill them in, tell them you can have the local PD give them a call and get the location and hopefully they do something.

If not, at least you reversed the charges. Most banks will do it in a week or so if it's online fraud. Sony is not the end all be all as much as they like to think so. And yes Sony CS sucks balls.

Then hopefully something will happen.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sony support sucks ass, I lost the cd that allowed me to transfer video from my HD camcorder to my PC and they said it would cost me $75 for a new cd. So since a $75 cd basically held the $800 camcorder hostage i decided to buy and just sell the camcoder and all on ebay and go to another company.

I would totally reverse the charges and tell sony to get stuffed, I deffinately agree with Lamont, and best of luck
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why would they ban you for doing something perfectly legal?

And let the person get away with something that is highly ILLEGAL.

What does getting banned on PSN even do? You lose your trophies?
    :/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Jacque I suspect you'd lose all your previous purchases too?
  • Junkie_XL
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So apparently they ban your PS3's MAC address, so you can never go online with it again unless you pay up... How ridiculous:\
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He already "paid up" when somehow his account info was used to buy software. What I want to know is this: If the software was purchased using his account, he does have access to the software right? Does that mean there is another user with his account playing games? I don't think you can play games unless the account resides on your machine.
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain wrote: »
    So apparently they ban your PS3's MAC address, so you can never go online with it again unless you pay up... How ridiculous:

So the PS3 basically becomes useless?
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr Stench wrote: »
    So the PS3 basically becomes useless?
    Not really. I use mine as a space heater... that can play BluRay movies.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    wow so say i do this and get my console mac banned. I take it to gamestop and trade it in. Take the credit and go buy another new console.

That old one will be sold as a used console and the unlucky person that buys it will not be able to go online. Jeez that seems like a HUGE problem.

I'm sorry Sony needs to fix this. That is just bs. They can easily see the ip address and where the purchase was made from as all that data is recorded. So this other persons ip, mac and playstation serial should all show up.

Sony is just taking the easy route on this and not actually helping any customers.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    venain wrote: »
    S Basically, someone got into my psn account (no clue how, I have never shared that info before) and purchased like $200 worth of games using my CC.

Wait ... the PS3 can play games now?!?!! When did this happen?!?!? :p
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    wow so say i do this and get my console mac banned. I take it to gamestop and trade it in. Take the credit and go buy another new console.

That old one will be sold as a used console and the unlucky person that buys it will not be able to go online. Jeez that seems like a HUGE problem.

can you imagine that kid getting that used PS3 for Christmas, hooking it up and he can't even get online or anything... calls Playstation..."well you have been banned from PSN"...."WTF? I just got this thing!?!"
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    why would you have CC info in your PSN account info? Sorry confused. You purchase something before and it kept your info?

Also you can see how they hack psn accounts on youtube ffs.. was probably someone of your friends lists.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Firebert...that shit would happen to me for sure.

I would go nuts too. I would be screaming shit like you piece of fucking shit. Fix this now. I just opened this god damn fucker and you tell me i'm already banned. Fuck you.

hahaha Poor kid would probably just cry.

And yeah I guess they updated some firmware and the ps3 plays games too now.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Dekard wrote: »
    Also you can see how they hack psn accounts on youtube ffs.. was probably someone of your friends lists.

DUHN, duhn, DUHHHHNNNNN!!!!

have you tried calling multiple times? ask for supervisors blah blah blah. if you annoy the piss out of them, they may drop the issue. but i dunno... they just don't want to lose any money, nor invest the money into the time it would take for someone to really investigate the issue... either way, they would lose money while you did not... greedy and shitty
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    why would you have CC info in your PSN account info? Sorry confused. You purchase something before and it kept your info?

Yeah, if you buy something it saves the info. And yeah I never even thought about what would happen if you sold the ps3 to gamestop with a banned MAC address, that's pretty messed up lol.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha Poor kid would probably just cry.

Sony runs on the tears of children.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18

Microsoft is possibly causing this very problem right now with their huge banhammer swinging they did recently.

It's a piss poor move by Sony that they're not helping their customers, but I guess they need the money. :D
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions wrote: »
    Sony runs on the tears of children.

lol!!

I can't believe Sony customer support would tell you to file a police report. I can imagine the face of an officer when you tell them someone stole my PSN account :shifty: Sony should be on top of stuff like this.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah you need to do that anyway, file the police report I mean. You do that so you can prove to the credit card company that this shit happened. You probably should inform all the credit reporting companies as well that you were a victim of identity theft. God knows what else can be done against you since they got this information. Reverse the charges asap and inform your credit card company if you haven't. You might be able to sue Sony if they ban you, I'm sure it's illegal. :D
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Get your $200 back. 360's start at $199.