Home General Discussion

Really creative Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles trailer

This is the link to the trailer on gametrailers.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/experience-the-resident-evil/57808

Definitely surprised the hell out of me and I'm not going to spoil much but, the trailer is surprisingly "accurate".

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nice idea, but it kept fucking with my firefox browser (minimising the window) so ultimately pointless. Game looks brilliant though.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    ahhh! That was awesome! Worked really well for me.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Neato dorrito! It messed with my firefox window too, not sure what's up with that. The trailer over-all was okay, the added effects were a nice touch but felt kind of distracting.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice idea, but it kept fucking with my firefox browser (minimising the window)

Looks alright...Light gun game. The trailer was awesome!
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was impressed to see that they made the zombies react to were you shot them in the click to shoot moments. I watched it twice and shot the zombies in different spots and was surprised to see them react differently.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Reminds me of the wario shakeit video... which has disappeared. So youll have to settle for a video of the video...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSU-z-t9Ku4[/ame]
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    uh, kind of cool but so cliche at the same time :/

I stopped playing Resident Evil after they made RE3 because the style changed too much. The zombies are not zombies anymore, just wounded people running at you and now they use weapons in RE5 wtf!!?? The other monsters, so few as they are are not in the slightest bit frightening, there's just no suspense anymore...

resident-evil3.jpg

Remember this? Bring it back please Capcom
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    GCMP wrote: »
    I stopped playing Resident Evil after they made RE3 because the style changed too much. The zombies are not zombies anymore, just wounded people running at you and now they use weapons in RE5 wtf!!??

I agree with you in principle, but remember how slow and crap the zombies actually were? They weren't even remotely menacing, or any obstacle in terms of gameplay. And giant spiders are pretty lame by comparison to RE5's gigantic mutations.

The whole zombie soldiers thing was a bit much, though. The spear-wielding tribal zombies I could buy into, but zombies with rocket launchers, despite being pretty cool, was definitely a 'whaaaaat?' moment for me.

At least RE5 fixed what was really wrong with Resident Evil games after the first one - they were all too easy! I remember the disappointment of completing RE2 the day I got it, and thought that RE3 was even easier.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    zombies with guns? peh, old news:
    doom-08.jpg
    dead rising.
    dead-rising-dead-rising-lots-and-lots-of-zombies.jpg
    IMO, this is better than the RE series.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome trailer, wasn't expecting that.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    GCMP wrote: »
    uh, kind of cool but so cliche at the same time :/

I stopped playing Resident Evil after they made RE3 because the style changed too much. The zombies are not zombies anymore, just wounded people running at you and now they use weapons in RE5 wtf!!?? The other monsters, so few as they are are not in the slightest bit frightening, there's just no suspense anymore...

resident-evil3.jpg

Remember this? Bring it back please Capcom

+1
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with this statement.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    danshewan wrote: »
    I agree with you in principle, but remember how slow and crap the zombies actually were? They weren't even remotely menacing, or any obstacle in terms of gameplay. And giant spiders are pretty lame by comparison to RE5's gigantic mutations.

The whole zombie soldiers thing was a bit much, though. The spear-wielding tribal zombies I could buy into, but zombies with rocket launchers, despite being pretty cool, was definitely a 'whaaaaat?' moment for me.

At least RE5 fixed what was really wrong with Resident Evil games after the first one - they were all too easy! I remember the disappointment of completing RE2 the day I got it, and thought that RE3 was even easier.

I remember them being extremely menacing with your slow firing and reloading rate. As your trying to reload the zombie slowly walking towards, you take too long, turn around slowly, try and run, arggh its got me!

You were extremely slow and cumbersome as well as the zombies. Sharks, spiders, plants, pure preconditioned fear responses.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Was the trailer removed?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    And the old school RE games had so much suspense to them with the camera angles. You never knew what was in front of you. It was like a movie. And everything was so close quarters if you didn't make the right split second decision you can be screwed. I do miss my old RE games. Though I do love the new ones too. Can't we have both?
  • DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as the games go, the first 3 entries and 4 and 5 have their own niches.
    The older games pose how limitations are actually good things in gameplay because they are the rules (wheras more and more games now are suffering from feature shock and not focussing on a solid core gameplay mechanic) and they give context and meaning to what you experience.
    The new silent hill for wii takes this idea and runs with it (you have no means of fighting the enemies at all and the game is always in first person with you only having a limited view...now that brings a real sense of menace to the enemies doesnt it? and they don't even have to be giant robot dragons with the ability to swallow the earth and shoot nukes out of their eyes.)
    Back to RE, 4 and 5 ramped up what you could do but did the same for the enemies to balance your increased mobility and accuracy with their overall ability to kill you.
    Theme wise, they're totally different but equally absurd.
    I love the old and new resident evil games.
    I just wish more games where being made these days with rules and limitations (and lives...gosh consequences...remember those? those made enemies REALLY scary, especially at the last stages of game where one wrong move meant you were going back to the very beginning)

Great art is difficult to appreciate fully without context. Games now may have gained visual detail but are lacking the context of challenge/consequence/player limitations to make all the hardwork of making horrible creatures/enemies really pay off.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ErichWK wrote: »
    And the old school RE games had so much suspense to them with the camera angles. You never knew what was in front of you. It was like a movie. And everything was so close quarters if you didn't make the right split second decision you can be screwed.

I used to think this way about lots of older games. I'd reminisce about how great they were, but when you really think about it - or better yet, play them again now - I came to realize that what could be (in RE1's case) be remembered as suspense was actually frustration.

Sure, the camera angles were pretty cinematic at times, and it certainly had its moments (remember the long hallway above the courtyard where the dogs first jump through the windows?), but what they really managed to do was make it infuriatingly difficult to actually combat enemies (no matter how slow and lumbering) effectively. For me, it didn't add to the suspense, it added to the overall frustration of not being able to fight.

How many times did we wait, gun aimed, for the zombie to lumber into view, get bored waiting, run towards them - only for the zombie to grab us at the exact moment before the change in screen, and bite?

Silent Hill 2 managed to use this technique to create suspense without forsaking combat mechanics. You could hear enemies before you saw them, often several minutes before, but when you did finally see them, at least you could shoot them.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    and they don't even have to be giant robot dragons with the ability to swallow the earth and shoot nukes out of their eyes.

However ... that would be kinda cool.