Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Giger Alien

Hello Polycounters -

I'm just getting off the ground with Zbrush. I've been using it off and on for a couple of years, but only recently started to feel comfortable. I've been (poorly) drawing this alien since childhood. After 25 years I finally have the tools to make a respectful image. What do you think?

zbrush_giger_alien_side.jpg

zbrush_giger_alien_front.jpg

zbrush_giger_alien_back.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    simply awesome... would love to see this posed!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i am actually surprised i hadn't seen a giger alien in 3d on this page before ... ! with all the sculpting tools that have been out for years just begging for it ! the giger "vertebre"style and normal maps are made for each other ^^

model looks great
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    awesome. I want more of this!

Any plans to take this further? As in normal mapped character or colored/posed high detail art?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey this looks really cool,
    esp. I love the legs
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Its about time you showed this to the community Isaac :D
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! Good work, man!
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One crit I have is, if my memory is correct didn't the giger aliens have 6 fingers not 5?
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea bloody lovely :D
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    damn- I have never seen an giger alien in 3d that I`ve liked until now- The face seems a bit to friendly tho. make that sucker mean!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    awesome!

when i saw this thread, I thought "oh good, another Giger Alien that's going to be done just as poorly as the rest of them, because all the crazy detail will be impossible to read and flattens into a mess of pixelated shit"

but you sir. You, who have simplified the pose into a delightful circular shape, making it easy to read, and supporting the otherwise crazy complicated details with a lovely simple shape...

I love you.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great style! Looks like a lot of work.

What matcap is that?
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic work, I really like the detail that you put into him. Are you going to take it further, and go low-poly?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    That is an excellent interpretation of the character. As a die-hard Aliens fan, I do have a few minor criticisms.

1. The mouth area is somewhat lacking. There aren't enough teeth, and the teeth should be more irregular. (aliens don't have orthodontists) The jaw goes too far back, it should be brought forward slightly. There needs to be more webbing / exposed tendons linking the jaw to the rest of the head.

2. The number of fingers aren't correct. Killaball said it, the alien is supposed to have six fingers, not five. Check the end of the first Alien film, when the creature is resting between the pipes. You get a really good look at its hand in that sequence.

These are minor quibbles from a fan who has seen these movies way too many times. Kudos on an excellent model.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    this is rad, how did you get such hard surfacing? like the vertebrae in the tail, did you make an alpha, or just mask them off? or did you just take a very long time on each one?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Fantastic work man, get all of those turnarounds on your portfolio! Not just one image..its worthy of it.
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! Thanks for all the kind words! Let me see if I have this forum syntax correct.

@warby - I agree. I was really surprised not to see more higher quality alien art. It seems like a really good midlevel modeling challenge, and it's such a cool IP, you would think it would have more of a presence. There is one really impressive piece a guy did of a face hugger here : http://maxko.mysticline.com/wp-content/alien_staff_07_04.jpg

@cholden - The thing that is most interesting to me is modeling. I'm not so much interested in taking a piece all the way through the low poly process. Every now and then I decide to finish a piece. I'm usually about half way through the UV process when I realize my mistake. That being said, I may need to prove I can do this sort of work at some point in the future, so who knows?

@killaball - you are correct sir. Unfortunately I realized my mistake too late. I could always add another digit as a subtool. I may if people think it will make a significant difference. If that's the only thing that pops out as being inaccurate though I am satisfied. It seems like every image available is designed to hint at but never totally reveal what this thing is supposed to look like. It definitely added to the difficulty.

@kontruct - too friendly huh? You think more snarl wrinkles would help? It's tough with of the whole exoskeleton thing.

@John Warner. Thank you sir. Giger sets a high bar. It can be hard to take the rough treatment of a beloved institution. I set out to do right by the IP, and I am humbled by your praise.

@ TWilson - The matcap is a color dodge combo of dj grubby green and md antique bronze. The bronze is on top. Both are available on the pixologic website.

@mathes - thanks! I think I'm probably done with the model for now. I might pose the arms and legs so they aren't so symmetrical, but I don't think I'll take it further without a good reason. Truth be told, I've already completed another quick model and started a third.

@richard Kain. Also well observed! There is one tube that lead from the back of the jaw that I keep meaning to add. I'm pretty sure they added that tube to pump all the goo out the aliens mouth for the movie. It should be included. Sounds like a consensus is building to add another finger. I saw a lot of different teeth. This is the image I settled on: giger-alien2.jpg

I think you're right about the extra jaw webbing/tendon stuff.

@ralusek: So I used a little bit of a different process for different areas. For the tail, I built a two vertebrae piece in max, copied it, moved it and scaled it into place along a placeholder tail (just a tube). Then I repeated that until I had all the pieces for the tail. It might sound laborious, but it only took a half hour or so. In zbrush I divided it a couple of times and worked over each piece until it looked naturally but subtly irregular. For the inside tube, I used the same placeholder tail, increased the number of edge loops, and extruded them. That part was tedious, but again, it only took a few minutes. For the other parts, I built up the volumes with clay tube, then used flatten to get that hard surface look. I used soften as well, but not too much. I like to keep all my tools (except inflate) with a focal shift around -55 and a z intensity about 15.

@kaburan - Thanks! I built the portfolio a few weeks ago in preparation to be on Games Industry Mentor with Aaron Canaday (http://gim.acanaday.com/ - episode 7). We were talking about portfolios, and I wanted to have an example of a good entry level job portfolio site. It might be time to expand the content a little bit!

Thanks again everyone!
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Isaac,

Very well done! I really dig it... I agree, you should pose him out.

Yay - more BW Austin peeps :P
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Great work :D How long did this take?
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GCMP - I'm not sure. I worked a couple of solid weekends and evenings for a couple of weeks. Probably something in the neighborhood of 50 hours.

@Jon - Thanks man! I really appreciate you taking a look!
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool man, i really appreciate the response, and welcome to the forum (if i have the authority to welcome people, that is)
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is awesome, deffinately agree with Richard, having the webbing would be awesome. The level of detail is great especially in the hands (regardless of the missing finger). My only critic would be that the details on the outermost side of the feet seem a bit flat compared to the innerside of the feet
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Ralusek - NP. I forgot to mention that I use the square alpha for pretty mush everything. Did you get all the info you were looking for?

@dippndots - Good observation! I added some jaw webbing and also cleaned up the outside of the foot. I'll try to post an updated version sometime later today.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    I dig the execution, but somehow it doesent appear as slender as gigers original design,
    hence lacks some scary attributes i say :(
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, a little earlier on I had it looking more skeletal, but I got a few comments that the arms and legs looked too tubular.. I decided to add volume to the tops of the forearms, thieghs, and biceps to break up the cylinder look. Its a balancing act.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Ioster, simply amazing, please for the love of god release an sdk, i really need to aniamte this sucker!

Full props though its a brilliant model!
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    awesome alien sculpt man!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Rumkugel wrote: »
    I dig the execution, but somehow it doesent appear as slender as gigers original design,
    hence lacks some scary attributes i say :(

Heh, if you ever get a chance, check out the making-of documentaries they package with the 2-disc collectors edition of Alien. You get to see the guy who was in the Alien suit, out of the outfit. The guy they found to play the Alien was insanely skinny. I felt hungry just looking at him.

I think this sculpt is actually pretty close to the movie version in terms of slenderness. I might have made the limbs just a bit longer, but the skininess of the torso and head strike me as spot-on.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is kickass.
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @flynny - what do you mean by SDK? Checked out your animation BTW. Totally sweet.

@Omar + achillesian - thanks!

@ richard kain - you ARE a fan! I'll keep my eye out for the dvd set.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Just to clarify, the xenomorph doesn't have 5 fingers + a thumb, he has 4 fingers and 2 thumbs, as if his hand was mirrored along it's center.

There is a HOST of alien reference on the net. An example

As it is now, it looks fantastic, though. Great work!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Thats awesome, gives me the creeps. If your looking at resources I wouldnt look too far beyond the first two films. The cgi-ified ones to my eye look rubbish. I remember the teeth being more contiguous razer sharp rows.

What colour is the original alien anyway kind of an opaque black? How did they do that?
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    I'm in love o_o
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    oh man i always wondered why there are not more aliens. this Alien is legen.... wait for it... dary :thumbup:
  • Mech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge fan of the feet. For some reason they stood out the most for me.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mech wrote: »
    Huge fan of the feet. For some reason they stood out the most for me.

same, and the hands, they look really sweet for whatever reason.

also, here is reference
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEDfVL2tcEw[/ame]
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the comments! Here are the updated images:

giger_alien_02.jpg

giger_alien_01.jpg

giger_alien_03.jpg

giger_alien_04.jpg
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks sweet if i could be picky i'd have to say that the webbing on the mouth attaches a further down on the lips rather than on the gumline, and the two thin webs should be wider like the back-most one
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i want a 2 foot tall 3d print of this on my desk, pronto.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    yeah gold plated with patina
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    he's a pretty chunky alien - used to seeing them much more lithe. i like it!

i think the tubes coming off his back are a bit lower, they're usually both coming off the back of the ribcage. other than that nitpicking, it's a nice interpretation!
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    ioster wrote: »
    @flynny - what do you mean by SDK? Checked out your animation BTW. Totally sweet.

I mean you should release the model if you fancy seeing it animated ;D (obviously i wont be running off to the nearest studio calling it my own work ;D)

Keep at it!
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    legs look to humanish... arnt they longer??? i dont know.
    But the rest looks great!