Home Technical Talk

Best way to embed video on your own site?

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
So I tried vimeo and I wasn't too impressed. It doesn't allow "HD" to be flipped on when embedded. Forces the user to travel over to their site.

How is quicktime embedded? I used to really like sorenson video 3 but since using x64 that option disappeared.

So, yeah...I feel weird asking because I never really bothered putting a demo reel up in the past. Just for some simple turntables.

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.viddler.com/

or

http://blip.tv/

That is what Joystiq and Rooster Teeth use.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Quick time is the best option, but I think you have to buy the option to compress to a small file size. I say it's the best option because pretty much everyone can play your file without extras and you can scrub the animation. You don't have to do much to get it to embed, it's really easy. I think if you just point to the file it plays all on it's own that's enough, like you would a jpeg.

example : http:// some url/directory name/file name.mov

should do the trick.

if not, you just surround it with the embed tag
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I haven't tried it yet, but you can give a shot to this:

http://cit.ucsf.edu/embedmedia/step1.php
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't work but I'll have to investigate this more closely.

I think I should worry about a compressor that looks best. Does anyone have any personal favorites? H.264 quicktime looks really washed out... :(
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you have your own hosting, you can just do Flash vids. Premier has a flash export option now and works dandy.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I HATE quicktime - which is why personally I prefer any flash player either hosted on your own or from one of the popular ones (vimeo and youtube are the big ones).
    Quicktime is a restricted, ugly utter slow bloatware with auto update for shit I never want on windows. Also it crashe(d/s) frequently because of some unstable plugin port for browser XY.

With any Flash Video player kit you can also stream or playback H264 since flash player 9. Which means that you can playback MOV, AVI or MP4 containers with H264 compression through the flash plugin on your website.
    Just google some free flash players (SWF files with JS and some templates on how to embed), annoys less people and works for everyone.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a shame to hear renderhjs. I just put Sorenson Squeeze 5 on and I'm in love with the .mov quality right now after some tweaking. 7 seconds of 800 x 640 for only 3MB (I think that's good?) that looks super clean with a sharpen preset. Looks better than the original 380MB non-compressed input which is totally strange.

Thanks for the posts. I'll keep researching.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    its more about the player and the crap that comes with it - I just hate apple for that, which is putting a raped version of Quicktime on the windows platform.

Luckily some browsers are starting to implement video playback (firefox, chrome, opera to name a few) with either MPEG4 (needs license though for the browser company) or the Theora OGG something video codec.
    But like I said earlier the most convenient video watching is for me YouTube because it has the fastest servers (unlike vimeo which is often slow) and just works in every browser on every OS and on every computer I use.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You were speaking greek to me for a bit in your second paragraph on post #7 but now I see what you're talking about. Sorenson Squeeze comes with some SWF templates (although ugly) that hook up with an .flv I compress. Just need to find a better looking template now and settle on a compression method.

I'm sort of being a bastard on accepting any sort of loss of quality. Is a 4MB .flv for 7 seconds a bit much? The codec is "On2 VP6 Pro". I think it is H264 but not sure. It's in the Flash 9 category.

yeah...lots of technical jargon there...

I'd go with youtube but I feel like my hands are tied behind my back. Unless things have changed I like all of these tweakable settings. This flash video seems cleaner than anything I've seen on youtube.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    You were speaking greek to me for a bit in your second paragraph on post #7...
    welcome to the tech talk
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just embed vimeo or youtube :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I host my Demo Reel flv on my own server and play it using JW Player. It's a pretty good option. I keep my 2 or 3 min flv around 10-20mb. Decent quality, decent size and the player has a lot of features.

I tend to dislike vids hosted from sites like vimeo and youtube. I love vimeo and youtube, but their embeds suck. Also quicktime is really annoying if it takes you to a white page with the video on it, that's useless. If you can get it embedded properly I guess it would be okay.

I actually want to try hosting a divx web player version, that might be fun.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    I host my Demo Reel flv on my own server and play it using JW Player. It's a pretty good option. I keep my 2 or 3 min flv around 10-20mb. Decent quality, decent size and the player has a lot of features.

I tend to dislike vids hosted from sites like vimeo and youtube. I love vimeo and youtube, but their embeds suck. Also quicktime is really annoying if it takes you to a white page with the video on it, that's useless. If you can get it embedded properly I guess it would be okay.

I actually want to try hosting a divx web player version, that might be fun.

Hi Frump,

It's funny you mention that. I just gave the JW Player a try last night when googling for a free template, heh. Seems to work quite well. What flash video codec are you using?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I like the way Frump set it up. Flash video with Quicktime downloads available.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Junkie_XL: Uhm, on2VP6 I believe. The only one I have available in premiere. It has done a fine job for me in the past.

Also, monster mentioned that I have alternative download options, which is a good point, I just forgot that I had done it.:poly136:

It's always nice to offer a higher res version in case they want to see higher res or keep it. I wouldn't suggest you have more than one embed though. Just link a download to the others.