Home Technical Talk

Things to look for in a good mesh...

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Hi All,

I'm trying to compile a list of things that define a professional quality mesh for:

• SUB-D
  • Sculpting Base Mesh
  • Real Time, low poly, Normal Mapped models.

Basically the dos and donts for those categories.

For example, a Sub-D mesh should only use triangles, quads, and rarely 5 sided polygons. It should have even geometry distribution, and have good edge loop flow.

In other words I'm looking for some of the most common mistakes that you see and some of things that you look for right away when looking at a mesh. I know it depends on how the mesh is going to be used but keep in mind this list I am making is only for the three types I listed.

I looked for a thread on this, and also looked at the wiki but I am only able to find work flow tutorials. What I would really like is simple list of the things that are critical for creating good meshes.

Also, if you have any unique things that you look for because of something to do with your studios specific engine, work flow, or art pipeline I would be interested to hear about that as well. I'm just trying to compile as much information as I can on mesh standards/creation.

Replies