Home General Discussion

Citadel miniatures

I used to paint citadel miniatures when I was younger and since getting into 3D i'm really curious as to how they are actually made? This is both for the old pewter/metal figures and the plastic ones which I think began being made around the mid 80's. Has the production process changed? I know nowadays you have 3d printing so I assume the miniature modelers all work in 3d programs? This goes for stuff from forgeworld too if anyone could enlighten me, not too sure what to google to find this out :S

Replies

• ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    I believe that at least some of the models are being made with CAD programs now. When the new Ironclad dreadnought was revealed they showed a highpoly model that looked like it was essentially prepped to be converted into a mold source. With the detail they're getting in the plastic models these days, i wouldn't be surprised if the majority of their design takes place on the computer.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I believe that at least some of the models are being made with CAD programs now.

Yep, indeed they are. I used to be into the whole tabletop gaming scene, so this was a pretty interesting read.

A Games Workshop case study:

http://th.delcam.com/uk1/PressReleases/case_studies/Games_workshop.htm

http://www.delcam.co.uk/
  • scourgewarper
    I knew it! Makes sense really and like the article said the production process has been cut drastically by using that delcam software. Thanks for the link.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, any shots of the software in action? I used to work for GW back in 1997, remember reading all about how the plastics were sculpted about ten times the size of the finished model and scaled down with some sort of 3d pantograph thing.

The plastics have come on exponentially in quality if you can remember back to the days of the figures from Space Crusade. :)
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, couldn't dig up much, but that's not surprising considering how cagey they can be regarding their production and manufacturing processes.

ArtCAM2010.jpg

I think this one (Power Mill) is one of the higher-end CADCAM solutions.

powermill557.gif

There seem to be a lot of variants of the software, so I don't know if any of these were used in GW's pipeline.

013009_delcam_for%20_solidworks.JPG

Delcam1.jpg
  • BHJ
    Went to Gamesday in Birmingham, UK last year and got to sit down with some of the 3d sculptors and use the software and hardware - all I can say is 'amazing'.

The best part of it was the joystick/mouse/tablet pen they use to sculpt these things - say bye to wacom - these things give resistance and tactile feedback based on the contours of the model in 3d space. The pen hovers in midair, attached to a base that has motors in it that causes the pen to resist your motions when you sculpt the model in 3d - placing the cursor on the model in 3d allows you to actualy trace the model with the pen; the motors providing mapping and feedback to follow the model. It was literally like I was touching a clay model... except I wasn't.

I want one... but at over 4K (i believe he said) a piece, I don't think I can afford one! ;)

edit: as I side note, the model being displayed in the software was the balrog model from LOTR.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ wrote: »
    The best part of it was the joystick/mouse/tablet pen they use to sculpt these things - say bye to wacom - these things give resistance and tactile feedback based on the contours of the model in 3d space. The pen hovers in midair, attached to a base that has motors in it that causes the pen to resist your motions when you sculpt the model in 3d - placing the cursor on the model in 3d allows you to actualy trace the model with the pen; the motors providing mapping and feedback to follow the model. It was literally like I was touching a clay model... except I wasn't.

That sounds incredible. I'd love to see that in action firsthand. Seeing some of the details in their newer models, it's no wonder they're using such advanced tech.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    From what I've seen on the Forgeworld site; it seems like they still do everything with traditional sculpting. Nice to see that GW is using digital solutions. And that pen peripheral sounds awesome. Were they using it in conjunction with zbrush (or mudbox or w/e) or some proprietary sculpting software?

I am actually working on a freelance contract right now making models to be printed out at small scale for use with Warhammer and other tabletop games. :)

I am just using Maya, Zbrush and my trusty intuos; like always.

Hazardous also did something like this recently which you can see in this thread.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Me too. Just finished jumping through all the hoops to get the first one ready for printing. Already got another 15 sculpted, so I'm praying this first one turns out well. Only another 60 odd to do after this.....