Home General Discussion

Disney is going back to it's roots!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
I'm excited they are making 2d movies again. I just hope they have some good scripts to go along with all that artistic talent.

http://www.pamil-visions.net/disney-hand-drawn-animation/24261/

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Two Thumbs Up, for returning to their roots :)
    If John Lasseter can pull off another Iron Giant, I'd be extremely happy.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    After firing all their animation artists, that's what i call stupid moves, i hope the guys they fired work in another company that actually have some respect. I bet the next 2d disney will be made in korea anyway...
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    After firing all their animation artists,

as well as selling most of their traditional animation equipment to Pixar.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19

Iron giant was 2.5d ;)
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18

Brad Bird did 'Iron Giant' not Lasseter.

And oh god I want this to be good so very badly. At least the villain looks amazing [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRX_LnZ586Q[/ame]
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not too impressed ;p
    last time i,ve checked, Home on the Range is not that revolutionary.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Home on the Range was made before the Disney/Pixar merge when Disney had all but abandoned classical animation.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Exciting. Had disney been doing the standard 2d movie for the past 8 years this would look sub par, but relatively speaking this movie is looks to be a breath of fresh air. The darker tones on the characters is also a first, unless you count songs from the south.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I stopped watching disney at hercules... at some point, storytelling went from 'leave stuff up to the imagination' to 'we have to hold your hand and treat you like a retard' If you bread crumb enough bits, the viewer is going to enjoy getting pulled into the experience by filling in some of the gaps without the piece needing to be obtuse and blunt. Give them something to think about, don't hand them everything on a platter.

The last disney flick I enjoyed was emperor's new groove, because that was distinctly outside the disney formula.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    And make everything a musical. "LET'S SHOVE A SONG IN RIGHT HERE!!!"
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if anyone is going to get Disney 2d back on track, it's the Pixar guys.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    sir-knight: I agree with you wholeheartedly, on both the story handholding and how well Emperor's New Groove turned out.

This is perhaps an odd tangent to bring up, but I really felt that the storytelling for the original Gears of War was generally under-appreciated due to the way it relied on implied information. People are so used to games holding their hands and giving extended monologues about character backgrounds and plot points that when a game came along that jumped right into the middle of the story and let you figure things out on your own (why was Marcus in jail? where did the Locust come from? etc), people were stumped and claimed it simply didn't have a story rather than try picking up on all the clues that were being dropped.

Back on topic, I'm very curious to see how this feature turns out. It kind of seems to me that at this point Pixar is to Disney as Blizzard is to Activision.