Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Viewport Blurs.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to change that problem, whether I am looking into the viewport or a render, the background elements seem to get blurry whether it is a texture or a mesh.

I want everything to stay 'crisp' and sharp, especially if it is for a beautyshot.

If you can help please do not hesitate to do so.

Thanks!

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Do you have any DoF active, by chance?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshots?

For rendering, what are you using? Scanline, Mental Ray, Vray?

For the viewport, what do you have it set to? Customize > Preferences > Viewport tab > Customize Driver. Have you tried using different settings for Texel and MipMap look up?

When was the last time you updated your video drivers? What kind of video card do you have?

What version of max?
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

sorry about the lack of information, see how the end blurs out? I hope this is not normal: blur.jpg

DOF is not on hence I am using normal default scanline render.

screenshotcopy.jpg

Direct3D 9.0 (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT)

I honestly do not remember the last time I updated my drivers, I am updating them now as we speak. I also am using 3ds max 8, I personally did not like 2009 because it gave me problems, not sure if I should go back and use it again or not.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By default max renders are pretty blurry, i think there is a better method of anti-aliasing/supersampling that you can use, but i dont know which of the top of my head.

You can just unsharp mask it in photoshop afterwords, also it would help to see your texture, as it doesnt look like the texture itself is particularly sharp.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two things that could help. Change MipMap to none. Check on "Match bitmap size as closely as possible". Might need to restart max for it to take effect.

Like EQ mentioned the Area AA filter is a mess. In Render Setup (9) > Renderer tab, change the Anti Alias filter to Catmull-Rom and toggle Filter Maps and Enable Global Super Sampling.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: Thanks man, texture is 2048 x 2048, I know the angle makes it look like that. Anyways I could be wrong and I might have to go back and sharpen it up a bit, thanks for pointing that out. Here: texture-1.jpg

Vig: thanks for your non stop support. After reading it was on default 'Area' and have not used max render for a long while. I COMPLETELY forgot about those settings, it helped check it out.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    And you don't need to restart Max after changing these settings, just save and reopen your .max file.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have got a really bad problem...After I changed all the settings, things were fine. Until I exported everything as FBX, because when I export things as .OBJs the 'unwrapping' doesn't trasfer with it the mesh information to another new scene. Certain objects were fine but when I tried to attach pieces together this is what I got:
    uhoh.jpg

this is really bad especially right before the contest...:O
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    turn on the texture coordinates export in the obj exporter
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will give that a try, thanks. EDIT: they are actually on with everything else, you know when you export anything as obj with max into a new scene it turns it into editable mesh rather than poly. I also turned on check for text coordinates on the import options, yes it works but because by default it turns into edi mesh, the uvs are broken up and triangulated.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if I'm a bit off here with my info, it's been a while since I've used Max. Isn't there a "export as quads" checkbox in the obj exporter? or can't you just throw a edit poly modifier on top of the imported edit mesh and collapse it down to turn it back into a editable poly. I could have sworn I've done both of those things with Max in the past.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    erm why exactly do you export it anyways when you just want to merge it into another scene?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What version of max are you using? The obj exporter in 9 and below was horribly flawed. So much so that this guy wrote new import/exporters that actually worked. If you're in 9 or below give them a shot. http://www.guruware.at/main/

It kicked so much ass that autodesk included it in 3dsmax 2008 and threw theirs away.

Also try reset xform and welding the verts in edit poly vert mode and in the UV editor. With a very low threshold. As well as reset your smoothing groups. It looks like the exporter was set to break off each poly?
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna: I know I am doing everything right because this is literally the first time I see this. I will try your way instead of just manually converting it, thanks.
    Neox: Since I am plannin on rendering in 3ds max, I was afraid that the scene will start lagging if I added everything in one scene, now I know it does nothing, because the entire scene is 12k lol. Too late for that, because I really do not want to go back and re uv everything.
    Vig: hehe, 2008-2009. I will check them out, as far as I tried smoothing group have no effect what so ever, whether it is imported as 'single' or 'multiple' this really shouldn't happen, but it is...

Anyways I want to thank everyone for their time trying to help me out, if you guys got more ideas, throw them at me! I actually got an idea to save the uvw and Load it into the new scene hoping that might fix everything. I will keep you posted.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't your unearthly challenge is it? Because all entries must be displayed in real time.
    • Lighting and rendering: Your environment MUST either be shown within a video game engine, or as a screen grab from a 3D creation applicaiton (Max, Maya, etc). NO RENDERS. This is a contest about real-time video game environments, which your beauty shots must show case.
    http://www.unearthlychallenge.com/2009/challenge/en_rules.php
    Yea it wasn't that way the first week or so of the contest. If you're going to use max you should probably pick up a copy of shaderfx, which you should do anyway since its free for personal use.

What happens if you apply a simple planar map?

I don't think loading and saving the UVs will do the trick but its worth a shot.

Each vert/face is given a number, those numbers change when you export/import. Vert/face 01 might be on the forehead before export and vert/face 01 on the import could be in the neck. What you get is a crazy jumble of pieces that look like your original unwrap.

That can happen if you copy and paste one UV to another element, even if they look the same and have the same counts it's going to jumble up the order. You might need to re-unwrap after the import.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi vig, thanks for pointing that out. I do not think you can have AO in realtime, because that is what will give my scene the diablo look. If all else fails I got no choice but to go to unreal, which will make lighting and such easier, and I won't have that problem I mentioned before, because now I will just back AO, create lightmaps and export it into unreal. Thanks again.