Home General Discussion

Crunch time = sick guy ? Dont worry house will fix it!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
New episode of season 6 is about some dude who collapses during crunch time and has some weird illnesses starts hallucinating the video game at one point!

awesome episode!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/100171/house-epic-fail

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Never seen this, its pretty awesome.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Is it the one with the VR, with the monkeys shooting giant birds?

IMHO, it's the worst episodes of house I've seen, based on their cheesy interpretation of what VR or videogames are.

Also: Needs moar Cuddy ;)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »

IMHO, it's the worst episodes of house I've seen, based on their cheesy interpretation of what VR or videogames are.

Rarely do I stop watching House once I've started an episode, but yah, that opening was so cheesy (and classic misrepresentation of the games industry) that I stopped watching once it was done. Would it kill the entertainment inudstry to get the game industry down right for once? They were doing so well with Grandma's Boy. :D
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I should watch TV more often, this is a good show!

Lol grandma's boy gotta watch that my friends said it was lofl.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Grandma's Boy is about as close to the real thing as any representation of the game industry as I've ever seen in a tv show or movie, which makes it even more hilarious.

Amusing tidbit: the 'game' the main character is working on was actually supposed to be a launch title for the Xbox, which is why it looks like an actual game.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan, for xbox 360? What game was that?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I loved the monkey!
    And its funny how dev office at the beginning ... looks just like the grandmas boy dev studio haha!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about new. saw it last month. But it was stupid hilarious interpretation of the industry
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    flaagan, for xbox 360? What game was that?

No sir, the original Xbox. Called Demonik.

http://www.skankerzero.com/

Scroll down a little bit and you will see grandma's boy...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I remember that episode. I was commenting every time they 'played' the game. A game like that would be very cool, but extremely unlikely, especially with only a VR helmet and plastic weapon.

It was kind of cool though, seeing the guy trippin'. When the hospital turned into the game.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's awesome to wear headsets to talk to your teammates who are in the same room as you.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I think it's awesome to wear headsets to talk to your teammates who are in the same room as you.

Well the in-game characters were animated to speak at the same time the players spoke so its arguable that the headsets were required to do that :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »

Yes of course, i think its only reasonable to expect that Hugh Laurie and the entire cast and crew of the show should be just as up to date on the culture of industry and working habits of game industry professionals, as we, game industry professionals are. Tottally reasonable.

Yeah it was cheesy, but its house, so you know whatever i still watched it.

flaagan wrote: »
    Rarely do I stop watching House once I've started an episode, but yah, that opening was so cheesy (and classic misrepresentation of the games industry) that I stopped watching once it was done. Would it kill the entertainment inudstry to get the game industry down right for once? They were doing so well with Grandma's Boy. :D

I find it pretty hilarious that you mention grandmas boy, you've worked in a studio before havent you James? Grandmas boy its just slightly, very slightly better than those "tighten up the graphics" commercials when it comes to an accurate representation of game development. I find it very ironic you would say how bad the house thing is, and then bring up that terrible movie as the shining beacon of hope.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I liked the idea of them trying to make something video game related, but it's cheesy indeed, and tottaly wrong, but still was fun to watch! :)

And why the hell is the sick gamedeveloper a rich guy? It's like we're all rich... I wish.

HOUSE FTW btw! :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wasn't grandma's boy where games were made in their entirety by a single person, and that the rest of the studio was just QA?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. and the QA guy created an entire game by himself, in his freetime, programming on his xbox controler. Also he did the bitmapping.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Grandma's Boy is to us what Star Wars is to astrophysicists.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yes. and the QA guy created an entire game by himself, in his freetime, programming on his xbox controler. Also he did the bitmapping.

I heard the bitmapping was super smooth.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    Grandma's Boy is to us what Star Wars is to astrophysicists.

close, but thst should be;

"Grandma's Boy is to us what Star Trek is to astrophysicists." as star trek at least has a few things that can be relate-able to that field with out blood gushing from the ears and eyes.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10

yeah... the bitmapping is SWEEEEET.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yes of course, i think its only reasonable to expect that Hugh Laurie and the entire cast and crew of the show should be just as up to date on the culture of industry and working habits of game industry professionals, as we, game industry professionals are. Tottally reasonable.

Yeah it was cheesy, but its house, so you know whatever i still watched it.
    I said it was cheesy, which you eventually agree with. But ok.

On the other side of your point, I *totally* think it's only reasonable and responsible that Hugh Laurie, his entire supporting cast and crew, along with most likely a copious amount of writers, researchers, etc, should deem their representation of the industry I'm involved in as relatable and enjoyable to me, whilst adding to the already skewed opinion of our industry from the point of the general public.

I still watched it, too.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I enjoyed this episode. I was laughing about the terrible game stuff. As soon as I read the synopsis for the episode before it aired I knew it would be as cheesy as it was. It's almost a cliche at this point that every episodic plot tv show has to have an episode focused around a terrible, cheesy representation of the games industry. There was one in the X-Files too, but I can't remember any more off of the top of my head.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    yeah... the bitmapping is SWEEEEET.

the texturing was very miamoto
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You guys are funny. You really think this is innacurate?

Players throwing their arm around because of gimmicky white plastic games controllers ? Check.
    Expensive useless attempt at VR tech for the masses ? Check. (hint : it's red plastic this time)
    Headset interaction even if in the same room ? Check. Yep, LAN play!
    Generic cannon fodder ennemies? Check.
    Cliche team of heroes? Check.
    Female player going "wouah this looks so reeeeeeeal!" when seeing a decent looking game : Check (hint : your ex girlfriend)
    Game visuals getting close to movie quality visuals : Check.

Now you can complain on how they used brute force rendering to put the piece together for a TV show instead a licensing an engine and creating assets for it. But see, it would make no sense to do so, because it would cost a LOT more to do.

I'd rather rant about magical 'Oh can you magnify that for me please?' 1000000000000 dpi pictures on forensics shows, thankyou!

House is cool.