Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

check out my portfolio. I needs some opnions

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
luck6 polycounter lvl 10
Hi you guys,
I have a digital portfolio that I made a year ago.
And I'm gonna update it with some new art shortly.
So it would be great to get some responses and advies for some improvements.

Many thanks

http://www.xs4all.nl/~weij/

Replies

• mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    For the site, I would make your gallery the first page. Throw your work in the visitor's face as soon as they get to your site.

For the art, put the images up as .jpgs, the pdfs loaded incredibly slow for me.
    Your character's eyes should be darker so they blend in more naturally.
    Dirty the textures on everything.
    The skin is too clean/blemish free & that tank vehicle could use lots of dirt and scratches (like it's been used)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All that flash stuff isn't needed in my opinion. The site took ages to load and by that time an employer perhaps would have went off the site because they have to spend a very long time trying to find suitable folio's and ones that meet the criteria.
    - every page is taking a long time to load.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    PDFs? That's a new one for me, just use jpgs
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what your level of expertise is with web design or what the goal of your site is, but if all you need is a super light portfolio review site, I built one you can use. All you have to do is switch out my placeholder jpg's with yours.

A link to the site is at the bottom of my page, which also uses the layout.

www.isaacoster.com
  • Slum
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which site? Mine or the original poster?
  • danshewan
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ioster wrote: »
    I don't know what your level of expertise is with web design or what the goal of your site is, but if all you need is a super light portfolio review site, I built one you can use. All you have to do is switch out my placeholder jpg's with yours.

www.isaacoster.com

Some great advice from yourself and Riki in the podcast the other day Isaac, and major props for making that source code available - thanks, man.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    ioster wrote: »

www.isaacoster.com

Although this is a pretty nice template, it IS flash-based. I have nothing against Flash, I use flash all the time. But from everything I've heard on-line from artists and art-directors, flash is not the way to go for on-line portfolios. A lot of art-directors and people in a position to hire like to use tabbed browsing to open several pieces of a portfolio and switch between them using tabs. This is not possible on a flash-driven site. More traditional HTML is probably a better approach. (not to mention simpler to develop for)
  • luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    That's so funny!
    It made this post just seconds after listening to the potcast.
    It's so funny to talk to the real heroes XD
    But besides that, i want to thank you all for the advies.
    I think i will make 2 sites.
    One for the fans :P and one for buisness

Just for a node
    The reason why i choose the pdf is because you can print them out.
    And they are really easy to edit and make in indesign.
    And you can import short flash and quicktime movies.
    Or I can choose different pdf files to burn and send to companies.
    But thats all oldschool :D like they said at the potcast.
    Now i know that email is the way to do it.
    So i will change it.

ones again many thanks and i will post some unreal screenshots soon.
    So you can see how the site is changed.
  • ioster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although this is a pretty nice template, it IS flash-based. I have nothing against Flash, I use flash all the time. But from everything I've heard on-line from artists and art-directors, flash is not the way to go for on-line portfolios. A lot of art-directors and people in a position to hire like to use tabbed browsing to open several pieces of a portfolio and switch between them using tabs. This is not possible on a flash-driven site. More traditional HTML is probably a better approach. (not to mention simpler to develop for)

I originally planned to do the portfolio template in html. Honestly, that might have been the better option for several reasons. I decided to do it in flash in part for the technical challenge. I'm not much of a scripter, but every now again an opportunity presents itself (or I invent one). I also thought it might be a nice jump start for anyone comfortable with flash but not too deep into AS, hence the inclusion of the .fla source file.

Generally, a flash site implies some bells and whistles, which I purposefully omitted. I tried to make the flash as transparent as possible, and as I mentioned above, I wasn't driven solely by ease of development. There were some advantages for the end user flash allowed that wouldn't have been as simple in html, such as updating links. The current set up frees the template user from having to wade into the html, which is a potentially intimidating process.

I would be very interested in feedback from anyone who uses the template site. It is not an easy thing to design the perfect portfolio site, and user input is always appreciated!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i waited 20 seconds for the first page to load and it didn't so i just exited the window.