Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PORTFOLIO] Joshua Stutts

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stutts polycounter lvl 11
hello all. I am new here to polycount. I just wante dto get some critiques on my portfolio. I have been looking for a new job for some time now with no success and was wondering if there is anything I could change on my portfolio to improve my chances of landing a new job. any way here is the link.

joshuastutts.com

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, you definitely have some decent stuff on there. I think the fish-head character is awesome!

However it seems that the style you've got in your professional works is your best thing so far, there isn't much shown that's in a varied (or more realistic) model and texture style. I think this may be hurting your chances. Also some of your diffuse textures seem fairly blurry and it looks a bit like you use dodge/burn a lot (or just tend to shade things with black or white instead of introducing colour variation into the shadows and highlights).

It's certainly not bad stuff, in fact some is very good, but I think you need more solid, quality, high-detailed models unless you're mainly applying at places which do nothing but stylised games.

Also I'm not a huge fan of that Flash simple viewer app thing, it kept stealing my mouse scroll wheel focus which was a bit confusing, and also the images aren't very big and don't allow any way to scale them up or zoom in. Your dominance war character presentation suffers because the images are so small, I can't really see what's going on there at all.
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop thanks for having a look.

I am working on new models to go on the website now so I will definitely look into doing some more realistic style characters. I could also use some more practice on the textures.

and the simpleveiwer thing I used because it seemed like a good way to present my work but I'll definitely look into a better way to make the presentations
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP pretty much hit the nail on the head with your folio, just wanted to say that the flash viewer is really off putting because it takes ages to load the work so I would maybe address that first since it's an easy fix.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with MoP on his critique.. especially the small picture size. That Dom War piece should be a focus for you, but I glossed over it because I couldnt see any detail from your small pics. :(
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    Stutts wrote: »
    hello all. I am new here to polycount. I just wante dto get some critiques on my portfolio. I have been looking for a new job for some time now with no success and was wondering if there is anything I could change on my portfolio to improve my chances of landing a new job. any way here is the link.

joshuastutts.com

I agree with MoP BUT!
    http://joshuastutts.com/Character_Reel/CharacterReel.html
    That is the most depressing song I have heard !
    http://joshuastutts.com/
    And I don't like that right alignment !
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Some nice stuff. Would like to add to MoP's dissection that it seemed your specular maps weren't showing through very well imo. Character turntables looked kind of dull except for the Jester which was awesome, I think this was definately your best asset. Suggest using different techniques/technology to present models.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why u use fraps for record turnable in 3dsmax viewport?
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies! I didn't expect so many responses so soon after posting this.

carlo_c & AtlusZMH: like I told MoP I will look into a new way to present my work that is faster to load and is better at showing some larger images

jinxx: I had actually thought about removing the song all together but that is actually one of my favorite Amon Tobin songs, and I just like the right alignment but maybe I will try to center it to see if I like it better

GCMP: I agree that the turntable is pretty dull and I have been starting to look into different ways to present the model, maybe using the marmoset toolbag

Frenzy: That's just the first way I thought to capture the turn around but now I remembered I could of just done an animation preview and it probably would have looked a lot better

I have to say this being my first thread on Polycount, this is an awesome community and I think I have a found a new online home, and I greatly appreciate all of your feedback
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stutts wrote: »
    GCMP: I agree that the turntable is pretty dull and I have been starting to look into different ways to present the model, maybe using the marmoset toolbag

It's also debated that for just modeling, a reel isnt very necessary unless you're showing off how well your models can deform/animate. And since your reel is just still shots, you may not even need it!
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtlusZMH you're right I was actually thinking of not putting it up there at all
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i think jester and fish head are your strongest, personally. rest are pretty cool as well, just like those from personal taste, i'd say
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it all, nice work.

I'm not too sure the reel is quite there yet. The music is pretty distracting and the models spin pretty fast. I lost interest after trying to look at some details on your Dom War guy but it zipped right by.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The work looked good but the layout was off putting on a 24" widescreen. Heres a scaled down version of how it looked when I first opened your page:
    layout.jpg