Home Technical Talk

Photoshop - any Auto Backup? Autosave?

Is there any option like Auto Backup or Autosave in Photoshop? maybe some plugin or sthg?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Not that I know of. It's a good habit to just save every so often though. I have actions set up while working on a texture, to save out revisions of the PSD and TGA with the push of 1 action button. So I do that like every 10 minutes. Just need to break the habit of not doing it, I suppose.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Photoshop barely crashes on me anyway? I had it like twice in 5 years and I think those were because of an unstable CS3 beta I used then.
  • flatHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flatHead polycounter lvl 11
    It should be possible to write a small script or app that saves the currently opened document periodically, using Photoshop's COM interface.

Like Xoliul, I also have very little experience with Photoshop crashing.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've been messing with autohotkey recently, pretty sure you could use that to make an autosave (save every x mins). dunno about saving progressive versions though
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    if there's a quick way to do it, then go, but honestly photoshop doesn't crash enough to go coding something.

I think an autosave is a bit overkill, i would hate to get stopped while painting because autosave kicks in. Just my opinion.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the only situation really it would avoid in photoshop is that old 'do you want to save?' chestnut. yes. I mean NO! NOO, I meant save as!
    and you go back in your history steps and no, you've done too much editing to get the original back
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know about that, i deactivated ctrl+s, assigned it to save as :) and save as iterative version each time
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    smart :D doesnt save you when you close photoshop and it asks tho!
    well ok, with all those iterations you're fine :P
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you could avoid the "can't go back enough into history to save the right version" with working with history snapshots, never really used it myself, but i think this could save you if you do think to do some at important steps.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it's happened about twice, ever :D I was just trying to find some tenuous reason for autoback in photoshop :)
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Photoshop is pretty stable but the computer it's running on might not be.

Honestly it's just pathetic that any major art/production program these days doesn't have auto-backup. It's 2009, people! We figured this shit out a decade ago! It's not even a difficult feature to implement. Timer, increment number on file name, use saving feature you already have. DONE.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    acc wrote: »
    Photoshop is pretty stable but the computer it's running on might not be.

Honestly it's just pathetic that any major art/production program these days doesn't have auto-backup. It's 2009, people! We figured this shit out a decade ago! It's not even a difficult feature to implement. Timer, increment number on file name, use saving feature you already have. DONE.

You sir, are correct! It _is_ indeed 2009(almost 2010 actually) and we _do_ have stable operating systems. The OSes have become so good they handle most software failures. Only time an operating system fails today is most likely due to a hardware failure that the OS is incapable of handling which in turn only happends when the hardware itself is BROKEN.
    None of these options are Adobe's fault. Hence, they should not should not try to fix it.

Autodesk on the other hand... that's a whole different story.