Home General Discussion

3dsmax 2010 & XP Updates

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Anyone have any issues with the latest MS updates and Max2010, I updated rebooted and now max crashes on startup. Just get past the logo. :(

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    While cruising the web looking for solutions I saw one guy just recently had the same problem as you. He had to do a system restore. Hope you dont have to do that.

Bump
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A guy at work had the same problem at home, XP 32bit. The splash screen comes up, it loads a few things then disappears. No errors, no messages just no launch. We've all installed the updates at work but we're mostly running Vista.

I think he was going to reinstall. I'll follow up with him tomorrow and see what's going on. He said 2009 worked fine.

System Restore sounds pretty crappy, a lot of people have disabled that, I hope this isn't wide spread...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup, i did system restore still no good. I got a nice fubar'd install now. Says it's there in add/remove even though I uninstalled it and cleaned the registry so and there's no autodesk folder anymore either. :D When I try to reinstall it won't let me because it says a newer version is already installed. Yay.. :D May have to nuke it from orbit tomorrow AM.

Yes, XP Pro 32 bit, here as well. Max2010. I may call support tomorrow too.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    ACK, sounds disgusting!

Just an eeny teeny chance, is there a Macrovision folder on your hd ? You might have to destroy that for a reinstall.

Just a chance.
    Good luck, 2010 was the reason I finally switched to 64bit.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I also am having issues with Max (9 though). Its crashing to a black screen in dx mode. This only happened after updating to these latest xp updates. If I were to take a guess It might be something with the Windows Media Player update. I am though attempting to uninstall all the updates to see which is causing it.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A guy at work has been getting d3d errors, but not crashing... although his computer has been effing up. Mine has been running fine, were running max 2010 64bit on xp 64 bit.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its definitely something to do with DX mode. If I save in max in dx mode, crashed gpu. If I save from photoshop of a texture working on in max, crashes gpu. Dekard, try switching to opengl. I know, I know, no good previews. Pisses me off that they cant integrate the OpenGl shaders as well. :/

It not the .net or ie 8. I cant find the windows media update. Just going to uninstall windows media since I don't use it anyways.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rolled back the installs, fixed my fubar install and seems to be working ok now. Thanks.