Home Technical Talk

Optimize your 3D models: Atangeo Balancer 1.0 released

Atangeo Team recently released Balancer 1.0,
which allows quickly and easily simplify 3D models.
It also features fast and effective stripification algorithm,
to optimize meshes for rendering based on triangle strips.
Hope you will find Balancer useful.

From the press release:

Atangeo Balancer is a tool to optimize and simplify 3D models.

Its exceptional performance and a novel user interface allow finding
perfect balance between visual appearance and the number of polygons,
quickly and easily. Balancer utilizes a high quality polygon reduction
(aka mesh simplification or decimation) to preserve the visual
appearance of your model. The model features, normals, texture
coordinates, layer boundaries are all honored by Balancer. It can
optimize your models even further to dramatically speed up rendering
of your models. Balancer features a fast and efficient triangle
reordering that can be tuned for various rendering methods like
triangle strips and array/buffer based rendering.

Balancer Lite is a free version. It is fully functional but works with
small meshes only.
The limits for a single mesh are 15000 triangles and 10000 vertices.

Link: http://www.atangeo.com/

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sound interesting, do you have any example screenshots that show a before and after?
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some simple but illustrative examples here:
    http://www.atangeo.com/guide/boundaries
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I would like to see some screen shots of the interface, and if possible a Youtube video of the work flow.
    It seems to be nice but I think you need more media on your site to communicate the product better. It took me some time to find some pictures - and even then they were rather spare. Maybe add some gallery with some before after shots and technical details on each.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Seems nice. The example images have a pretty damaged silhouette on the simplified version, but it's scalable and easy to use... played with the sample file a bit in Balancer Lite and found it satisfactory. Would be neat to plug this sort of mesh reduction into a game engine for realtime LoD that scales automatically to hardware strength vs. scene complexity.

edit: good job!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    looks cool :).

I suggest trying to make a more professional logo, because it gave me a bad first impression. Its too bright and is just a few primitives arranged together.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Seems interesting. I would also like to see a demonstration video showing your program tackling a complex/challenging model.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    does it recognize loops and rings?
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks folks for the feedback and advices!
    We will put some interesting and complex examples, screenshots
    and (hopefully) videos soon.

One of the key features of Balancer is that it guarantees to
    that there will be no gaps between groups/layers/submeshes,
    by consistently simplifying all the boundaries between them.
    See this here on the Daz3D forum:
    http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2006305

@dejawolf: What do you mean by loops and rings?
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've put some nice examples and screenshots of some pretty complex models.
    Please take a look.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    unfortunately i can't access your site atm. shame, cause that really interests me a lot !
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty cool images.

Both the dragon and the car goes from insanely many triangles to just many triangles. A valid question would be "Will it be able to optimize my level 1 LOD game character to level 2,3,4, etc?". With a game model we're talking a fairly low number of triangles to begin with going even lower. Does it handle that well?

Keep it up. I like your program so far. Tried it a bit at work.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kk, works now again :)
    been testing your program and must say that it works delightful :D
    one problem for me, though. while the smoothing groups look just fine in your program, after i saved and imported it back into max its all in one smoothing group again.
    been checking in the obj-import dialog the "smoothing groups" box, i gotta say !
    what could i do there ?
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The smoothing groups are indeed not saved. :(
    Thanks for the feedback, Acumen.
    It will be fixed soon within the next minor release.
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Acumen
    When exporting, Balancer saves the smoothing data using the normal themselves.
    Perhaps meanwhile this workaround may be helpful to reconstruct the smoothing groups data in 3ds max:
    http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-fbx/fbx-plug-ins-import-export-discussions/importing-fbx-into-max-looses-smoothing-group-visual-updates/
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the quick feedback, atangeo. unfortunately the workaround didn't "work around" for me ;)
    but if you keep updating the program in such a steady pace, it's really a rather minor thing to worry about for me, atm.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i prefer doing it manually.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think its a nice step,- there is a need for such tools and apps like Meshlab are not always so easy to use or produce that good results.
    From the Interface and example shots I can already tell that is has some clever ideas behind it. And offering a free version to get started with is also a good catch to get new people trying it out at least.
    @atangeo: The screenshots and comparison shots are a very nice addition to the website. I think that brings already more people to actually try things out. I like the GUI and the icons - refreshing while still not eating up a bloat amount of screen-space.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Here's some more ideas for improvements.

Let the user tweak the background color and also let the user toggle lights on/off (in order to easier view silhouette). I have had times when I want to compare just the silhouette between different optimizations, and it's really hard with a bright white backgrund and a semi-grey lighted representation of my object.

Keep it up. Liking your program so far.
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the ideas for improvements.
    We hope to add them soon.
    Meanwhile, you can try changing the object color by pressing the last
    button in the toolbar, 'show with alternate colors'.
    Also turning the edges on, 'show wireframe', can emphasize the silhouette.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yup some flat mode with solid foreground and solid color for each element or 3d model could really help a lot raeding the silhouette.

Maybe check out typical game developments and their requirements in this area. I could imagine that exporting a sequence of different LOD levels or models would be nice - also some kind of checker or slider to faster compare changes.
    Also perhaps have a look at the great tutorial of David King's LOD checker technique:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJKIxc9bhM[/ame]
    Maybe you could add something like that into it? - it would be a nice way of seeing how the LOD models fit in.

In that regards also perhaps a nice graph or table of the different LOD levels so one can see what levels there are and with which polygon count they come.

keep it up - nice tool so far
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @renderhjs:
    Thank you for the advices and ideas, and for letting know about this great tutorial.
    I hope we will be able to add such a functionality in the future version.

I appreciate a lot your really helpful post!
  • JasoB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be amazing to be able to reduce DAZ3D models more accurately.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    JasoB wrote: »
    It would be amazing to be able to reduce DAZ3D models more accurately.

Except that, unless it's for personal use only, that's a little bit ILLEGAL.

Also, please note, I -WORK- for DAZ 3D.
  • JasoB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then you should be aware that DAZ3D is working on providing game-ready 3D models and changing their EULA! ;)
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, they are. But current DAZ 3D content is NOT included in that. They're commissioning NEW content for that purpose.
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Balancer was updated to version 1.0.2.

Here is the list of main improvements:
    - Full support for smoothing groups
    - Intelligent vertex joining
    - Enable/disable lighting for easier silhouette inspection

Thanks to everybody for contributing ideas and requests.

Download link: http://www.atangeo.com/download
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice to see some progress for this. Perhaps try to get in contact with some of the great PolyCount artists to test it and send you screenshots of their models in action. That would be an awesome advertisement for the website.

I like that "Intelligent vertex joining" and the smoothing groups support. Of course it would help later on the website to show some screenshots of what it does (before/ after) in detail shots.

I was asked recently about a few people regarding LOD stuff and poly crunching and totally forgot your app, will definitely steer people next time into your direction just to get some feedback myself as well.

best luck with your business and keep it up
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    working pretty solid for me, i'm currently in no need for LODs but i'll keep it in mind, with a bit of hand editing afterwards it should do a very nice job, the update normals function is really nice and helps quite a lot :)

polycrunch.jpg
    from 10k down to 2k in a few seconds, is pretty nice, the topology is not perfect, but better then most polycrunchers, a bit of work and its pretty usable i guess :)
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beta of Balancer for Mac is out! The Mac version is identical to the Windows one in terms of look and feel, and all the functionality. Check it out, all your feedback is highly appreciated.

The latest update of Balancer for Windows, v1.1.3, includes a cool feature to lock individual vertices to fine tune simplification results, and some nice enhancements like UV mapping foldover prevention and mouse navigation customization to match your favorite authoring application.

Atangeo Balancer technology is now also available as an SDK, which is 32bit and 64bit binary libraries for both Windows and Mac OS X.

Link: http://www.atangeo.com/download
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Balancer for Mac is now officially released !!!

The Windows version has been also updated
    with some improvements to visualization and navigation.

Balancer comes now with both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries
    on both Windows and Mac OS X.

Link: http://www.atangeo.com/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time someone pimps off a new optimization tool I wonder "is this one going to work on quads is it going to create a slightly less chaotic triangulated nightmare than the last" so far the answer has always been the same. For the most part I skip the crunchers and just retopo, at least with characters anyway.

I still have to check this out but you've gotten my hopes up that this will make a slightly better messy mesh than previous optimization tools have.
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vig,
    I hope Balancer will give you at least 'less chaotic triangulated nightmare' and ability to easily pick the best resolution for your model.

By the ways, there is a nice comparison of Balancer against some big 3D apps at the Luxology forums:
    http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=40386
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with vig here, and also that comparison isnt realy valid cause it misses meshlab, polycruncher and decimation master(Zbrush) as they would try todo the same job as balancer ;)
  • atangeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atangeo Balancer 1.2 is out!
    and now comes with selective density control.

Now you can control face densities for selective reduction rate of
    different groups/meshes/sub-meshes. For example, you can set
    density of 5 to the head group of your model, to increase the density
    of the head vertices roughly 5 times.

Balancer also features locking of different groups/sub-meshes
    and multiple selection.

freak.png

See this user guide page here: http://www.atangeo.com/guide/density

Enjoy
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    You would probably see more use in this if you advertised it for static somewhat organic props. I don't know if I would ever want any of my character meshes to have that kind of odd topology unless it was a statue.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ceebee wrote: »
    You would probably see more use in this if you advertised it for static somewhat organic props. I don't know if I would ever want any of my character meshes to have that kind of odd topology unless it was a statue.

ever seen the wireframes of the ingame uncharted 2 characters? they polycrunched the hell out of them, doesn't matter, they deform well enough and the normalmaps fix he rest.

@antageo: nice nipple protection, you can always spend some polies in the nipples :D

@stromberg90: do these keep the uvs intact? i'm not quite sure, never used meshlab or decimationmaster on uv'ed meshes