Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

T-Rex 3d personal project(student)

polyform.jpg

nomnom.jpg

rex2.jpg

rex.jpg

Student at a school learning 3ds Max and Mudbox, this is my first organic model in max and I was looking for some critique on my work.

I know the textures are awful but I havent learned how to UV yet hahah.

Replies

• mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    One thing about organic modeling is that it all has to flow together. That said, you should totally connect the arms and legs to the main model maintaining good topology. Floating gemotery (arms, legs,) on a character is not a good thing. Not a bad start though.:)
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo wrote: »
    One thing about organic modeling is that it all has to flow together. That said, you should totally connect the arms and legs to the main model maintaining good topology. Floating gemotery (arms, legs,) on a character is not a good thing. Not a bad start though.:)

Yeah i know what you mean, i'm so new to this though that I really wouldnt know how to connect it. I was thinking boolean but when i did that it just messed the whole thing up and I couldnt even take it into mudbox haha.
  • spaceidiot99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Mikezoo said, not a bad start. However I would suggest looking up some anatomy books on the t-rex and really try to work the flow of the muscles into your model. Right now its very box like.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zspheres could be good for this.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start it needs some touching up though, as the previous users said, right now it looks very boxy.

I actually did my own t-rex last week, you can see my wire at the my portfolio.
    http://christofferradsby.com/works/tyrannosaurus-rex/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    Zspheres could be good for this.

internet high five.

Zspheres are perfect for anything organic, and with zsketch and the new plane flatten brushes, pretty much anything, if you dont mind it being a high poly semi-messy topology
  • torontoanimator
    is it just me or do the arm joints not look quite right? the length of the arms is fine, its just, they're positioned very awkwardly, it feels to me like theres no elbow
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it just me or do the arm joints not look quite right? the length of the arms is fine, its just, they're positioned very awkwardly, it feels to me like theres no elbow

the reference i was using was the same way, ill try to fix it in mudbox, good call though i didnt really notice
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    LoM : no.
    Your a jackass. You clearly hate people. Hermit ;P
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    I dont remember that Mudbox (what he uses) has ZSphere :D but it looks like a good beginning. What Mikezoo said is good. You can use gum, teeth and togue as seperate mesh but the rest should be one mesh with nice muscle topology.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think mudbox has Zpheres but what he can do, if he wishes, is start again using a nicley topo'd mesh from Zpsheres in zbrush.. its alot of work tho since he already has a nice looking mesh.
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV wrote: »
    I dont remember that Mudbox (what he uses) has ZSphere :D but it looks like a good beginning. What Mikezoo said is good. You can use gum, teeth and togue as seperate mesh but the rest should be one mesh with nice muscle topology.

How would you recommend attcahing those pieces on the low poly? Thats what I am stuck on right now cause I am still new to max.......
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    I don't think mudbox has Zpheres but what he can do, if he wishes, is start again using a nicley topo'd mesh from Zpsheres in zbrush.. its alot of work tho since he already has a nice looking mesh.

I can't redo anything in Zbrush because I only have licensed copies of max, mudbox and photoshop available....

Other than that I do have meshlab and sandiago something or other..

Thanks for all the imput btw guys!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, either way, its a good practice mate. It looks pretty awesome. Organic stuff just needs to flow. Its like a toy,you know, where the diffrent parts arent directly attached and they sort of like rotate.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont use Zspheres for this reason. if you are having trouble with the low poly dont use a crutch for not having great modeling skills, you will need poly skills when you retop anyways, work your ass off till you are better at it. I dont know if 3d max has this option, but in maya there is a built in sculpt brush which you can use to smooth out the boxyness of models like this extremely easily. might consider asking the max users if there is such a tool in that package ( im sure there is)

also this sort of boxyness is usually the result of trying to model details before you have the general form roughed out, or because you are not working from multiple angles. also for something like this the arms legs body and head should definatly be one piece.

keep cracking

-Woog
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woogity Max has..sort of a sculpting feature but I don't think its used alot.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hmm lom not sure about the smileys but hey it's the internet. My point is that, no, Zspheres are not a solution in this case. Also I have no clue what you mean with the toy analogy. Are you suggesting Ocr should use ball and socket joints on his mesh to articulate the limbs? Please make an effort to express yourself a bit more clearly. Also if you want to point out a specific app feature (...sort of a sculpting feature?) please for the sake of contributing to the thread try to maybe make a little gif or at least a screenshot or a concise description/step by step of what you mean - then again just for the sake of constructive contributions. That's the very basis of Polycount.

Ocr shows a good understanding of how to make a polygonal cage. Obviously with practice he will get better, but no rush, one has to start somewhere and yeah it's a good start already.

Woogity formulated it in the best possible way. Sure Zspheres have that omg factor but this is not the point at all here. There are some problems with the current mesh, but they have been pointed out already : Ocr needs to work on his flow a bit more, and also connect the limbs like Spacei99 wisely stated.

What annoys me about the Zsphere comment is that it is completely unrelated to the OP (unless if you can describe a smart, original Zsphere workflow that would save Ocr some time.)

I am not mad at anyone, I just don't like it when irrelevant suggestions are thrown at someone genuinely asking for a specific piece of advice. This can be confusing. Just like some video tuts I see sometimes, made and narrated by folks who have no clue what they are talking about...

Ocr, good start. Connecting the libs sure would help a ton. Also it seems like maybe you modelled this dude from orthos? (since the belly is so flat). I would suggest, as soon as you have the main volume nailed down, switch to persp view and try working from there a bit more. It can be awkward at first, but the cool thing is that you will constantly rotate your model to check proportions, thus letting you judging it against a whole bunch of diverse reference pictures (in perspective. Clay sculpture from movie SFX, Jurrassic Park stills, even comicbook action renditions or TRexes), giving you a better feel for the subject than mere 2 or 3 orthos (or maybe I'm wrong and you didnt use orthos at all hehe)

Good luck!
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you definitely called how i modeled it haha, front top and left

im gonna go back a remodle it but its nice to know that the entire thing should be one mesh, i did a tutorial where the guy said to have each seperate joint a seperate piece

not a rex tutorial, that was just a jurassic park picture, this was for some bipe demon thing
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    the background image should have the same lighting and sun orientation.
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, that was just an image thrown onto the environment so i didnt have to look at the gray
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    keep at it dude. This can be a great stepping off point for you. Its worth learning proper polyflow, and topology. It might be worth your time to check out some GnomonWorkshop videos. You can learn a ton of good stuff.

one last thing to keep in mind: when you are modeling again; its okay to model in the frount side and top views, but really, the perspective view is the most important. The ortho views are more for reference. You should always be zooming around in the prespective view, checking out your model from every angle, seeing whats to be improved. So go at it!:)
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start it needs some touching up though, as the previous users said, right now it looks very boxy.

I actually did my own t-rex last week, you can see my wire at the my portfolio.
    http://christofferradsby.com/works/tyrannosaurus-rex/

thats really nice dude! im def gonna use that as reference to how many polys and shit i should use
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    thats really nice dude! im def gonna use that as reference to how many polys and shit i should use

Thank you, feel free to ask anything about my workflow. The thing I can say right now is that the T-Rex actually got shoulders, not easily seen but if you use your own body to pose as a T-Rex you should get what I'm talking about.
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, feel free to ask anything about my workflow. The thing I can say right now is that the T-Rex actually got shoulders, not easily seen but if you use your own body to pose as a T-Rex you should get what I'm talking about.

i do know what you mean, im probly gonna have to start over, or atleast work on the low low poly version because i modeled it in seperate pieces instead of one good mesh

the only thing im probly not going to change is the head
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i re did the mesh so that the limbs are attached and its slighter lower in polygons, let me know what you guys think!

rex3-1.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Much better. If you plan on sculpting it though you should add more loops to even the poly density. As it is you will have to subdivide it a lot to get proper details into the back and stomach. Make sure your polys are nice and evenly distributed for your sculpting base then once you have finished the high poly and baked it all down you can optimise and remove excess loops etc. To remove loops just select the loop and hit ctrl + backspace, incase you don't already know the shortcut, it will also preserve your UVs.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would you recommend attcahing those pieces on the low poly? Thats what I am stuck on right now cause I am still new to max.......

Best advice ive heard is to just not be afraid of messing up your mesh.. Start out with your big blocks, then work down to smaller and smaller details. Like what was stated before, find some sort of muscle refs and work your poly flow like how the muscles would lay under the skin. Again, dont be afraid to slice and split up your mesh all over the place :P gotta get your topology a bit messy before you can clean it up and make it shine :)
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Much better. If you plan on sculpting it though you should add more loops to even the poly density. As it is you will have to subdivide it a lot to get proper details into the back and stomach. Make sure your polys are nice and evenly distributed for your sculpting base then once you have finished the high poly and baked it all down you can optimise and remove excess loops etc. To remove loops just select the loop and hit ctrl + backspace, incase you don't already know the shortcut, it will also preserve your UVs.

yeah my teacher told me to try to relax it first and if that doesnt work i will probly just throw some loops in, thanks btw!
  • OcR Crimson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the finished textured low poly version that i brought into unreal 3, its got 3488 polygons, 1 difuse map, 1 normal map and 1 specular map

render2.jpg