Home General Discussion

Autodesk & reselling

Replies

• soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I don't see the harm in selling used software, especially when said software is priced rediculously high. Sounds like Autodesk was doing a bit of bullying.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting I wonder how the transfer of support and updates would be handled.

I wonder if this will cause Autodesk to implode...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    curious.

wonder how & if this could be related to the resale of games in the used market. People can be pretty vocal about EB & other's trends to pick up on used game sales... this seems somewhat related. It kind of skews how used games could be viewed, especially with that book analogy in the article. Then again, it is productivity/creativity software vs. entertainment software.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Smack!! I had a beef with Autodesk in the past about this (3DS Max 5 and 6 days...). I'd still be a Max user if they hadn't been such assholes on the phone.

smack_682_614133a.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hope Autodesk loses this case. so they can't be dicks to people about selling their software anymore as long as it's done legally. Autodesk goes as far and not letting you buy their software if it's not done in the right region, or so I heard. It would surprise me if they did that.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they already lost it?

The first link had an edit.

EDIT: (pun unintended)
    Source wrote:
    Update: As it turns out, the matter has already been resolved: Autodesk lost. A win for all of us.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hope it sticks.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! And heh to this:
    Even more damning, Autodesk's own website offers customers a variety of "purchase options" and the opportunity to "buy online" directly from Autodesk, with no indication that "buy" really means "license." Similarly, online retailer CDW offers customers an option to "lease" AutoCAD as an alternative to purchasing a copy.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Another big FU to autodesk. I hate 'em.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    according to osnews.com the issue was resolved... Autodesk lost, win for us.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    hooray for our side?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know they are going to appeal and draaaag this out. Putting the poor guy out on the street with legal fees.

In the meantime. Hah! Take that you monopolistic bitches, buying up all the competition so you can control the market.

Oh if only blender could get its act together with a good workflow and gui.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If only Autodesk would've left softimage alone...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder, with the enconomy the way it is and studios probably having more copies of software than they need and also being wise to their yearly update is this going to spell doom for them?

Back in may I remember hearing a report on NPR about "shovel ready projects" and how that the slow down in construction and the economy at large, Autodesk was looking to pull in cash any way it could. It sounded kind of bleak, so I seriously wonder what the landscape is going to look like after Autodesk?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think it would work so much better if they actually had a real leasing system, for cheap. Imagine a freelancer in need of a specific app for just the duration of a project, for export reasons an so on. it would be so nice to be able to lease Maya for like a month for 50$ instead of having to find workarounds, or getting full licenses...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    pior you're speaking gold..
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin wrote: »
    pior your making too much sense..

fixed.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Pior, you're making too much sense

fixed
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ;) Never claimed grammar was my strong point. You understand, I wasn't speaking about the grammar? More that, piors point is too sensible for autodesk to follow.
  • 2cool4school
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I think it would work so much better if they actually had a real leasing system, for cheap. Imagine a freelancer in need of a specific app for just the duration of a project, for export reasons an so on.

So how would that work? The software would become un-usable after a certain period? Kinda like a demo?
    Could work I suppose.....how come no ones done it before?

Maybe it's because they fear people would use pirated sofware on a project for 6 months and hire legal sofware for one month to cover their butts, so if confronted they just claim they completed their work within a month....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How is that different from now other than the initial cost?
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    I dont want to rent software, I want to own it and never have to worry about it again.

It would have been so much better if they worked with modules you could buy. You buy Max/Maya Core module, the base program, and then you extend it with a modeling module, a rendering one, animation, etc.

So basically you only pay for what you actually use. In my case I'd just need to buy Core+Modeling and be done with it.

But hey, why would they ever implement that.... They are charging people loads of money for stuff they dont even need and no one says a word about it...
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Could work I suppose.....how come no ones done it before?

Because the profit margins wouldn't be worth the costs of implementing such a system.

Or Autodesk just really don't give a shit about freelancers.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Uh, your probably all going to hate me for this, but... I think it's because Autodesk have always had that prestige about them and now that they are a bigger company they don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry selling their licences/software as it makes them seem unimportant.
    As far as I can remember (this was years ago) I sold my Cubase program for a pittance on ebay because Steinberg said the license was given to the original program owner and therefore is not transferrable. Other companies do this in other mediums too, so personally I think Autodesk were right in their actions but should have worded it better :/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    GCMP wrote: »
    Uh, your probably all going to hate me for this, but... I think it's because Autodesk have always had that prestige about them and now that they are a bigger company they don't want any Tom, Dick or Harry selling their licences/software as it makes them seem unimportant.
    As far as I can remember (this was years ago) I sold my Cubase program for a pittance on ebay because Steinberg said the license was given to the original program owner and therefore is not transferrable. Other companies do this in other mediums too, so personally I think Autodesk were right in their actions but should have worded it better :/

No where does it mention you are leasing an app, it says "buy" everywhere and you only pay for it once and you have it forever. The were just mad they weren't making money off this guy selling their app. And how does people selling used apps make them seem unimportant? That's a silly argument.

Autodesk has no prestige, their tech support sucks/basically non existent, they buy new apps and companies instead of upgrading their own, maya has needed an overhaul for years now and all they've done to it in the last 5 years is shove random plug'ins and what not into it.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Other companies do this in other mediums too, so personally I think Autodesk were right in their actions but should have worded it better :/

Yeah, prestige definitely isn't the right word to use in the same sentence as Autodesk.

As for these other companies in other mediums, are you talking about within the entertainment art industries, or just generally? I'd like some examples of when a large corporation extorting money (or inhibiting a means of livelihood) from an individual, based on a poorly-worded licensing agreement, doesn't constitute corporate strong-arming.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, glad this happened. Autodesk had it coming
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP, that cubase was a NFR (not for resale) version, ie. one that was given for free to a magazine for review or whatever. Standard fare in audio stuff, and not at all relevant to this discussion.

Also, your first comment makes no sense.

ALSO: people, I linked to an article in which it's said that Autodesk lost in the first post. Stop posting ''oh look at this link I found, looks like they lost' :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whilst this is undoubtedly a good thing, the backlash won't hold many surprises. Even if Autodesk don't appeal against the decision, their future licensing agreements will be worded in such a way that, to accept their terms and conditions as part of the use of their software, will mean that the resale of the software by an end-user will be strictly forbidden.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    . Even if Autodesk don't appeal against the decision, their future licensing agreements will be worded in such a way that, to accept their terms and conditions as part of the use of their software, will mean that the resale of the software by an end-user will be strictly forbidden.

No matter what they put in the EULA, it A) does not apply to people who have not agreed to it (like the guy in these articles), and B) is not enforceable because it is against the law.

In order to get around it, perhaps Autodesk really could lease out their software by making you pay monthly charges and demanding it back when you decide to stop using it, although I think that would probably put them out of business.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    No matter what they put in the EULA, it A) does not apply to people who have not agreed to it (like the guy in these articles), and B) is not enforceable because it is against the law.

In order to get around it, perhaps Autodesk really could lease out their software by making you pay monthly charges and demanding it back when you decide to stop using it, although I think that would probably put them out of business.

True, but isn't it only against the law due to the manner in which their EULA has been worded? Surely some jiggery-pokery by Legal, and hey presto! A perfectly binding, legal agreement in order to use their software.

I don't speak Lawyer, so I've only been keeping a layman's eye in the situation - if I've missed something crucial, then please, everyone just keep moving. Nothing to see here, save the drooling idiot in the corner, missing the point. :)

Not saying I agree with how Autodesk have behaved in this situation, but surely they won't just roll over and die because of one loss in court?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    True, but isn't it only against the law due to the manner in which their EULA has been worded? Surely some jiggery-pokery by Legal, and hey presto! A perfectly binding, legal agreement in order to use their software.

No, it is based on the actual conditions of the sale. Not the words they use.

It is like having a EULA that says you sell yourself into slavery. It doesn't matter how it is worded, slavery is slavery, and any contract that turns you into a slave is not enforcible.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    No, it is based on the actual conditions of the sale. Not the words they use.

It is like having a EULA that says you sell yourself into slavery. It doesn't matter how it is worded, slavery is slavery, and any contract that turns you into a slave is not enforcible.

Ah, okay. Cool.

Your explanation, not slavery. Or Autodesk.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    About time Autodesk got there ass handed to them with their monopolistic ways.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    having bought a used photoshop on ebay, and had the person transfer over the license, I'm happy Autodesk lost. If they have a problem with people buy used software, maybe dropping the price to a reasonable value instead of 4K for a standard version.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Hourences wrote: »
    I dont want to rent software, I want to own it and never have to worry about it again.

It would have been so much better if they worked with modules you could buy. You buy Max/Maya Core module, the base program, and then you extend it with a modeling module, a rendering one, animation, etc.

So basically you only pay for what you actually use. In my case I'd just need to buy Core+Modeling and be done with it.

But hey, why would they ever implement that.... They are charging people loads of money for stuff they dont even need and no one says a word about it...
    Sounds like gmax, and that was hugely popular with the modders.. I remember at the time Discreet were rumoured to have been working on a version you could buy that had export/import abilities (import but not export/save *.max files), you could then buy import/export modules as you needed them; pretty much what you've described above.

That was stopped because it was apparently too expensive for studios to license the dev kit to build gamepacks. Seems to be a common theme with Autodesk that... killing things for the sake of cash.. mind you I suppose they have to recoup money somehow after spending all that cash buying up the major 3D apps and what have you.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    MightyPea wrote: »
    GCMP, that cubase was a NFR (not for resale) version, ie. one that was given for free to a magazine for review or whatever. Standard fare in audio stuff, and not at all relevant to this discussion.

Wait! Are you telling me, or asking me?
    For your information I purchased this software from a professional retail music shop for around £460, that was over 5 years ago. This program was the full Steinberg Cubase SX, comes with 12 discs, an instruction book as thick as your arm and lifetime commercial license. It wasn't some cut down, limited use, waste of time disc in a paper envelope you see glued on the daily mail.

I lost the dongle, or it got knicked:poly127: This dongle IS the license, asked for a new one from the retailers, they said ok, it will cost you £460! No-one could supply me a new one for free or even small cost, even spoke to the manufacturers and they couldn't help.

So, even though I was the owner of the software and it was registered and licensed to me, I was told that if I sell it as licensed this would be illegal. The terms of use stipulated that this license is not transferrable after registration but posession of the dongle means the right to run the program. The last part and cost for replacing the dongle were not stated.

Years later I have come to realise what big corporate entity's are trying to do as in this case. They are protecting the company image by making sure their license is maintained to the individual, not just anyone. Afterall, why would anyone want to sell their software and license? This is the greatest software around, isn't it?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are protecting the company image by making sure their license is maintained to the individual, not just anyone.

I think you're overestimating the importance of image in relation to the seller.

What they're trying to do is maximize profit by ensuring that anyone that wishes to purchase their software has to do so at full price. If someone wants to buy a full version of, say, Maya Unlimited, and you're selling your (legitimate) copy for £460, they've just lost about £2,000 of initial purchasing revenue, plus whatever they charge for subscriptions for support and upgrades. Figures are probably a little off, but my connection's crap this morning, and I can't be arsed waiting an age to verify the numbers.

Sure, they don't want their image tarnished by people selling their software at flea markets, but profits are their primary concern.

Given your experiences with the intricacies of licensing agreements with that CuBase situation, I'm even more puzzled why you'd be supportive of corporate practices like the one detailed in the articles.
  • Emperors Teeth
    Pwned.

I'm quite comfortable saying Autodesk got what they deserve, especially after the trouble they gave us over 'licenses' we were sold by an authorised dealer a while back!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Understand what you are saying but both image and profit relate to each other. If a company loses image it loses sales, if it loses sales it loses image.
    Not being supportive of Steinberg's practises regarding the dongle as it personally cost me but Autodesk have always given me good quality service.
    If Autodesk lost too many sales and became bankrupt due to guys like this reselling their software at cut rate prices, I'm sure people would change their tunes as alot of us rely on this software.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP: "the license was given to the original program owner and therefore is not transferrable"
    That sounds to me like either Cubase fucked up (possible), or you bought a NFR copy - which would be a crime by the person who sold it to you.
    Doesn't matter, though, I was going on the information you gave me. And it's got no relevance :D

"If Autodesk lost too many sales and became bankrupt due to guys like this reselling their software at cut rate prices"

Aaaand that's where I bow out, as you're obviously just trolling.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    dude, autodesk is going bankrupt because they're selling their software at a too high price,
    and thus reducing their market base.

if by cutting the price with 1/3, you quadruple your marketbase, you're actually making more money than when selling your product at a higher price. its very simple economics.
    how can pixologic sell their software at 1/10 the price of autodesk, provide massive updates every version, tons of features, and still remain alive and thriving?

henry ford was constantly cutting the price of his model T, because he was discovering new methods of producing the vehicle cheaper and cheaper.
    and every time the price was cut, he increased his potential market, thereby making more money. its very basic economics.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They also have all those PR events all over the world to get people to buy the newest versions. That's a money leak there as well. These days really, whom needs such events? Big companies will come to them, and the small one man shows already know what they want and what their price range is.

Don't forget, they bought Softimage after the economy started falling. So, I have absolutely no sympathy if they are now loosing money for bad business practices of attempting monopolies versus offering a better mousetrap. Heard something once around the line that a company has started to loose its originality when it starts buying up other companies of the same type.

We already saw this with Adobe and Macromedia (RIP).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets not forget about their party on the USS Midway. When their bottom line was already showing fatigue. There's some well spent money... Fireworks, open bar, and a few entertainers. I like a good industry party as much as the next guy but it shouldn't be on borrowed money. This just showed that the corporate culture was/is centered around blowing the companies money in very extravagant ways.

Lots of money flowing around people get stupid, lazy and get focused on all the wrong things.

It's what happens when you give a lot of money to a bunch of dorks who feel like they missed out on their party years. Or people who do whatever it takes to continue funding their lifestyle.

Use newly acquired companies as leverage, to barrow more money, to acquire more companies to... oh shit we're out of companies, hey where did our CEO go?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Vig wrote: »
    Use newly acquired companies as leverage, to barrow more money, to acquire more companies to... oh shit we're out of companies, hey where did our CEO go?
    Right here foo'!!
    on-a-boat.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    It takes money to make money, or i guess to party on a boat with geeks and strippers, tough call.

Sure love watching these fat cat companies sitting on their patents nose dive. Lets hope the future's brighter because of it.
  • Ark