Home General Discussion

Project 10^100

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Incase anyone has missed this topic on google.

http://www.project10tothe100.com/submit.html?id=T01

I voted for the make the government more transparent idea. :)

Vote now!

Replies

• brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I voted for...
    'Enhance science and engineering education'
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    What a sad joke that our world is in this state; We should do them all.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I voted for making governments more transparent as well. It seems to me to be the idea that could lead to the most and most positive long term change, and is something that could help everyone in the world.

This is a sweet project, google is awesome. :D

And Peter - we should, and I'd say that our worlds in a better state than before if we have a company like google doing this, hopefully more will follow suit, and eventually all of them will get done. :)
  • vcool
    I voted for more free online education.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I voted to improve transportation, as at the moment this is the most important to me. I prefer transit and would rather not ever have to deal with driving and the ridiculous regulations and restrictions on drivers and licensing here. It's out dated and stupid. It will still exist for a long time, but we can improve transit solutions to promote less driving. I read on a poster on the train today that 77% of Metro Vancouver travels by car. :(

I also see on the Translink (the dudes who are in charge of public transit here) site that they have a "10 year" plan that comes to fruition in 2040... Uh, don't ask me how that works, and I think we can achieve some of the simple goals they have set out much faster than that if we apply ourselves.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    No kidding, Translink is one gigantic joke. I'm genuinely not sure if they even understand how their own bus system works (ha, just kidding: everyone knows it doesn't work at all).

Still, I voted for actually being able to tell what the government is doing. Ultimately that affects all of the other ideas instead of having to choose just one.
  • 00Zero
    most of those choices are stupid.
    Encourage positive media depictions of engineers and scientists..

REALLY? this would make the world a better place?

my personal favorite:
    Build better banking tools for everyone...

because thats just what the world needs.

I dont mean to sound like a downer but stuff like this just proves to me how futile our efforts are to change the world or even ourselves. take a look at the media, the news, the internet and all you'll see is people, leaders, governments demanding change yet doing nothing.

we have all these tribunals, hearings, proceedings, elections, and they do nothing.

"UN calls for strong sanctions"
    "Senate to discuss X"
    "so and so to begin talks this and that"

It feels like everyone is an ent. spend so much time and energy discussing about maybe getting semi-involved with a dicussion on this or that and then getting into some kind of argument over semantics while the issue remains unresolved.

eh im not making any sense. off to play GTA! at least im not pretending im trying to make a difference
  • achillesian
    The idea i submitted to this a year ago when it started was the idea to ban the use of plastic bags to pick up dog poop, instead creating neighborhood driven recycle centers for plastic bags and bottles, and using paper bags, or just letting the sleeping dog (poop) lie.

But, I guess that wasn't cool enough for Google, albeit i still think it would've had a big impact. People complain a lot about plastic bottles and bags, but both of those if organized well and dealt with correctly are recyclable, the plastic bags filled with shit are either too expensive to deal with and recycle, or just aren't recycled.

Either way, i think that's better than building better bank tools, or improving the image of anything.

I voted for making government more transparent as well.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    paper bags are actually worse for the environment because they weigh so much more than plastic bags and take up more space, and it ends up costing a lot more to transport then across the country. They weigh 10x as much and take more energy to manufacture.