Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robot Character for Personal Growth

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
jPEG polycounter lvl 7
It's time to build my own game character for animation all the way through the pipeline. It should prove to be a fun and useful learning experience. Not only will I be showing my familiarity with (at least at a base level) the whole process of bringing a character through production, but I'll also end up with my VERY OWN character to practice animation on--which is something I've wanted for a long while.

So. I think what I'd like to make is a robot. I've got 3 main references (which I didn't actually look at, but had the ideas from) I'm using to come up with the design.
  1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    semi-organic | human-like limbs | slender torso with bulky ribcage | agile
  2. Big O!
    bulky | unnecessarily ornate | simple in function
  3. BLAME!
    agile | pale faces | semi-organic | slightly frightening | humanoid and cybernetic body parts
I want to try and stay away from standard 50s-style robots and gundams. Some kind of foot besides just a boot would be cool, too. I like the idea of the robot looking just a little clumsy, but being fully capable of great athletic feats and powerful attacks. I haven't put any thought into possible weaponry or anything because that would depend on the kind of robot it becomes.

So here are some thumbnails I threw together with some basic silhouettes and very simple details. I may do some more thumbnail/silhouette sketches, but some of these could be promising.
robot_thumbs.jpg

Replies