Home General Discussion

I hate macs

Friend of mine was using a mac and he had his external hard drive connect to it. The computer freezes on him so he pulls his drive out and now his hard drive is going super slow and he can't open his folders ...

i'm trying to save his files and maybe find some software to extract the files and i'm not having any luck ... anyone has any suggestions?

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate macs. Always have. Always will.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Like unplugging a USB drive without ejecting it? Try one of the Apple support sites?

LoM - good for you. Different strokes.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    RawRanator wrote: »
    Friend of mine was using a mac and he had his external hard drive connect to it. The computer freezes on him so he pulls his drive out and now his hard drive is going super slow and he can't open his folders ...

i'm trying to save his files and maybe find some software to extract the files and i'm not having any luck ... anyone has any suggestions?

To be fair, data corruption could've quite easily happened on a Windows system, if he disconnected the drive improperly. A bummer, for sure, but hardly an OS X exclusive issue.

As for software, he could try this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/stellarphoenixmacintoshdatarecoverysoftware.html

Not sure of the limitations of the demo, but may be worth a shot.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    which HD is running slow? What's the spec on his computer?
    Do you have a copy of discwarrior to run? That was a fairly indispensable program when I was a mac IT guy.

If it isn't a hardware problem you can try out a nondestructive reinstall of the OS.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well he ejec ted it safely but the computer froze ... and its an external drive he uses for school but he was at school when this happened, now every computer he connects it too just runs uber freakin slow ...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's a mac formatted drive he could plug it into another mac and try rebuilding the permissions via the Disk Utilitiy
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work in best buy and i used the drive at geek squad over there and it was super slow and bad, i came home and tried it on my computer and it still ran slow ... so i ripped it our of the enclouser and it running slightly faster but it still won't let me copy the files/recover them using software/ repair the disk ... i'm about to try a mac computer to see if that would work better
  • Justin Meisse
  • Firebert
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    They sure look purdy.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    It could be a dead sector that slows down the drive to a crawl.

You can use HD tune to find out:
    http://www.hdtune.com/

That wont fix it, but will confirm if the drive is healthy in that aspect. There's usually a tool from the drive manufacturer website that will "block" out bad sectors so you can still use it...i wouldnt store valuable data on a drive like that tho ;).
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys but his hard drive is dead ... and i blame mac. It might not be the macs fault but ya know i feel better blaming a mac computer since they are evil and dirty expensive hookers (but i love my iphone)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've said it in the past but I went from 6 years of PC repair into Mac repair, it took a month to get up to speed and I worked on them for about 3 years. Probably some of the most reliable hardware I've ever worked on.

I could probably repair that HD too :P
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Another thing to think about when ejecting a disk. If the disk has gigs and gigs of data, even though it is not on the desktop anymore, it could still be unloading it. I always wait for a certain sound and close any apps associated with it. It's one thing I always hated about Macs is how they deal with ejecting external drives.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Another thing to think about when ejecting a disk. If the disk has gigs and gigs of data, even though it is not on the desktop anymore, it could still be unloading it. I always wait for a certain sound and close any apps associated with it. It's one thing I always hated about Macs is how they deal with ejecting external drives.

Funny, thats something I've always hated about windows. They've only recently fixed this issue in windows 7, but it's been around forever:
    Try to eject a drive while it's selected in explorer and it will tell you the drive is in use ie. you left click on it to select it, then right click, then click eject
    Select something else like your C drive, then *only* right click on the portable drive and choose eject. Voila. Now tell me how in the hell that's logical behavior.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I just pull that thing out. Flash drives, large USB drives.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    lol @ lamont

im the same way, bad habit ... i know i know..
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    macs suck. they eat my assignments at school computers then spit them right out into the middle of nowhere making me lose hours of work. and corrupted my usb backup
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Macs killed my family and raped my dog.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    OMG I used my itunes to make a chemical brothers weapon! No but seriously what the hell are they talking about?

"You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.”

At one time I was thinking about getting a mac but at 3x more expensive for what I would get in a pc using the same quality branded hardware and software, no thanks:poly127:

edit and this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mac%20fag

RawRanator take the drive to a data recovery company, they should be able to spin it up onto a new drive for you.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Mac killed my inner child

and if you don't get it, shame on you.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Macs are ghey.
    Macs are so ghey i bought a second hand one with friends just to destroy it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, cause I've never had Windows kill one of my USB drives :/ Oh, and I've never had Windows freeze on me *rolls eyes*

I'm by no means an Apple fanboy, but it's a computer... they all seem to fuck something up, no matter how much they charge you for it ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like Mac's. But I buy computers not lifestyles. The lifestyle portion of their price tag is a bit more than I like to pay.

The core user base they pitch their products to, I want to punch them right in the black turtle neck.

There are plenty of down to earth mac users that aren't caught up in brand recognition but its like they try to actively grow that annoyingly snooty user base.
  • psychoticprankster
    Lol and I was considering buying a mac...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I recently built a Hackintosh so I could start doing iPhone development. It's not too hard to do if you have the right hardware sitting around. If you're going to buy a desktop, you might as well spend the money on the proper pieces and build the hackintosh ;)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    go for it, you can't really use macs you see in schools and libraries as an example, 9 times out of 10 the IT department does zero maintenance to their macs if it's a PC dominated environement.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I like Macs. I like their style and design. I love their external enclosures, which are some of the slickest in the industry. And most of all, I absolutely love OSX. I'd take OSX over Windows any day of the week.

The problem is...I'm cheap as hell. So no matter how much I may enjoy Macs, my acquisition of them is kept to a minimum. It doesn't help that I've known how to assemble my own systems for years. Dropping by your local PC wholesaler and assembling a box from scratch is cheaper than just about any other option. I can't justify dropping thousands on style, when a few hundred will get me the functionality I need.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is...I'm cheap as hell. So no matter how much I may enjoy Macs, my acquisition of them is kept to a minimum. It doesn't help that I've known how to assemble my own systems for years. Dropping by your local PC wholesaler and assembling a box from scratch is cheaper than just about any other option. I can't justify dropping thousands on style, when a few hundred will get me the functionality I need.

This is exactly how I feel! I used both a Mac Pro and a newer PC at work, and I sometimes really miss OSX. However, we couldn't justify the cost of a new Mac Pro, and the hardware that we wanted just wasn't available from Apple.

Personally, I also build my own home PCs, and I'd much rather spend less money to get better parts and build it myself. As long as you get a nice, professional looking case it's not too bad. I hate doing the cable management though...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macs are indeed more expensive to building your own PC from scratch, but pricewise on both laptops and desktops they are comparable to similarly specced HP's and Dells.

The cheapest PC is cheaper than the cheapest Mac
    The dearest PC is dearer than the dearest Mac.

Up until Windows 7 you also got much more usable bundled software through iLife.

I love my Mac. I love running Windows 7 on it too. I love EEEBuntu running on my EEEPC.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    I recently built a Hackintosh so I could start doing iPhone development. It's not too hard to do if you have the right hardware sitting around. If you're going to buy a desktop, you might as well spend the money on the proper pieces and build the hackintosh ;)

this is the way to go, i got a hackintosh as well
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    To be fair, there was nothing about this that had to do with it being a Mac. If his windows machine decided to freeze up, which we all know happens on occasion, and he pulled out an external hard drive while it was being accessed, you would have been stuck in an identical situation.

Oh and BTW
    I work in best buy and i used the drive at geek squad over there and it was super slow and bad,
    Best Buy doesn't allow for GeekSquad to have the tools for anything HFS, which is the filesystem Macs use. NTFS or bust for BB. So, no, you wouldn't be able to copy the files over, this was one of my major complaints when working for them. They took away all of our tools because they failed to ask the developer permission to use them.

GLHF