Home General Discussion

anybody

ru4it
polygon
Offline / Send Message
ru4it polygon
hey guys does anyone have an old maya 3d program that they would be willing to sell? if so pm me plz

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why not use Blender if you need a 3D program?
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    i am using blender but there doesnt seem to be enough in tutorials so i want to make the switch to maya
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya PLE is free. You get water marks, but its the full package other wise.

But then again, how many people on this forum do you think actually "bought" their modeling program hmm :\
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    do u happen to have a link to where i could download the ple? i have been searching for it all day...
    yeah i know but i had to try and ask u know
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    whats_true wrote: »
    Maya PLE is free. You get water marks, but its the full package other wise.

But then again, how many people on this forum do you think actually "bought" their modeling program hmm :

Arg, there be pirates among us?

brethren_of_coast_large.gif

Pirating is bad. But of course they only really care if your making money off their product. Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of piracy, but if its the only way you can afford to learn a program...
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    would it still be concedered pirating if person A buys an older version of maya leagally like the sells it to person B? then person B uses maya to learn from and get better as an artist
    ZacD wrote: »
    Arg, there be pirates among us?

brethren_of_coast_large.gif

Pirating is bad. But of course they only really care if your making money off their product. Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of piracy, but if its the only way you can afford to learn a program...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wasn't talking about you, was talking to "whats_true"
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    i know im just saying:)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah not illegal
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For learning purposes, I think the general consensu is, dont ask dont tell. But if your planning on selling a product, then bloody mary, BUY it. You'll get screwed over royalty. Also, if your in school, you might be able to get a huge discount.

And its called Maya Personal Learning Edition. They might have taken that offline~~? Give it another go on goole (cannot look it up for you atm).
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    everything that is related to the PLE is rediricted to the 30 day trial, thats y i had hoped that maybe someone had an old version
    oh well i guess i just have to wait for a bit *sigh*
    thanks anyways :)
    whats_true wrote: »
    For learning purposes, I think the general consensu is, dont ask dont tell. But if your planning on selling a product, then bloody mary, BUY it. You'll get screwed over royalty. Also, if your in school, you might be able to get a huge discount.

And its called Maya Personal Learning Edition. They might have taken that offline~~? Give it another go on goole (cannot look it up for you atm).
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think Autodesk supports Maya PLE anymore, it went the same way as GMax.

Other free options are Softimage Mod Tool which is up to version 7.5.

Or Houdini which also offers a free learning edition, though it's not used much for game development afaik.

I'm not sure if Autodesk allows a user to sell a license, a lot of Autodesk products are sold under a "not for resale" license. Also Maya is tied to your network card's hardware ID, the last time I tried to move a license of Maya from one pc to another Autodesk wanted $500 to do it.

If you are attending school (college, high school, anything) you can pick up educational versions of pretty much any software for about 1/10th - 1/3 the cost of a full license. Then before you graduate you can convert many of those educational licenses to full professional licenses at a discount.
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    yeah i wont be attending school for another few months i hope, maybe sooner who knows.

but it seems that getting the educational version when i do start is the way to go
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    the general industry attitude tends to be that, as long as you are using your "special" copy to learn, so that you can work for a company which would have real licenses, then we'll just turn our heads and look the other way.

As stated above, don't ask, don't tell.

also, I'm not sure how you could be looking for the maya PLE all day, without being able to find it. . .

http://download.cnet.com/Autodesk-Maya-Personal-Learning-Edition/3000-6677_4-10721815.html
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    if you read the reviews at the bottom the most recent one says that it has been stop and turned in to the 30 day trial.

all of my searches turned out to be the same thing so like i said i just wait untill school or i just save me money
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    the general industry attitude tends to be that, as long as you are using your "special" copy to learn, so that you can work for a company which would have real licenses, then we'll just turn our heads and look the other way.

As stated above, don't ask, don't tell.

also, I'm not sure how you could be looking for the maya PLE all day, without being able to find it. . .

http://download.cnet.com/Autodesk-Maya-Personal-Learning-Edition/3000-6677_4-10721815.html