Home General Discussion

Using 'hard' references

I am doing something unique and modeling a zombie :) and it got me thinking, in essence you may want to get images of decaying bodies and corpses in various states, how exactly would you go about this?

Would this somehow be illegal (I honestly don't know, visitng shock sites comes to mind) and also if your working in an open plan work environment what would be the general view of seeing your work station adorned with quite shocking imagery? Or would it be a lot more simple and you'd just use 'safe' images of movie zombies, makeup effects and artwork of the dead/undead?

Replies

• Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Necrotizing fasciitis.

If you work in a studio thats making a zombie game, they're going to expect the artist to have reference open, no? It's not really anymore 'shocking' than nudity, is it?

It shouldn't really be an issue, certainly not illegal unless it's some kind of snuff/harming type stuff. I'd be more concerned working on a project that involves modelling and reference of a kid than zombies or whatever.
  • scourgewarper
    Could also be some interesting scenarios where your kids or other half starts typing something like 'delia smith recipe' in google and the predictive search highlights previous searches for 'dead bodies'.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Don't forget Gangreen. ;)

I'd recommend looking though medical texts or journals. Or you know, just medical stuff in general. They exist for the purpose of documentation and as such they're approached from a neutral standpoint (no "shock value" or illegal snuff type stuff). They play that kind of stuff on the Discovery Health Channel, sometimes uncensored.

You know when you go to the dentist or doctor and they have those posters on the wall about all the horrible stuff that can go wrong if you don't take proper care of your body? That kind of stuff. Or those acne pamphlets with pictures of worst-case-scenario outbreaks... Those just makes my flesh crawl with goosebumps. :poly122:

You might also try research on "body farms" where they do research specifically on what happens when bodies decay. They're used for forensic criminal investigation research and such. "Forensic anthropology" they call it I think. There are at least 3 locations I've heard of in Texas, Tennessee, and North Carolina. University of Tennessee, Texas State University, and Western Carolina University.

There's also war injuries.