Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fish Shooter

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi all. 

After years of doing everything from indie games, teaching game development and working on virtual environment productions, I developed a serious itch to go back to my roots and focus on 3d modeling.

I'm starting this project in my spare time, inspired by this incredibly wonderful concept of Garing3

Besides looking super fun to model, I'm foreseeing some classic challenges when it comes to translating this concept to 3D.

The idea it to turn it into a game-ready asset for a third person game.
(Do you think I should define which game at this stage, so the style of it shapes the modeling?)

LAYOUT

First I invested some time in the Layout phase, trying to align things, seeing where things break when putting simple 3d shapes in front of the concept.

I'm using blender for this one. Since I don't have a model sheet, I prefer to use the Background Images feature of the cameras. This way, the image stays locked in place as I move the camera around and change the focal length.

It's a more familiar workflow for me, coming from Maya and Max.

I also like to place the camera in the first collection, allowing me to quickly toggle the reference on and off with Shift + 1.

I could have spent more time in this phase, but since I'm pretty sure I'll need to make adaptations to the concept to make it work in 3D, I move on to blocking it out as soon and I tested a few configurations and am comfortable with this as a base. 

BLOCKOUT

The first thing I realized was that the barrel couldn't be a perfect circle, as the horizontal cylinder on top (what do you think it should be called?) would be too wide.

This cylinder needed to be wider than the body, but not so wide that it deviates from the concept. However, it also can't be as narrow as the concept, or it won't stick out from the main body.

I'm still using separate pieces, trying to figure out how they can work together:

At this point I'm seriously tempted to try out the newly released Conjure SDF addon  :tongue:

So this is where I'm at now:

Notably, I decided to rotate the top cylinder. It's a slight deviation from the concept, but I think it visually reduces the perceived width while still ensuring it sticks out from the body. I rotated the side panel for similar reasons, as it would protrude too far to the sides in the back view.

I'm using a subdiv workflow at this stage, as I'm most familiar with it, and using temporary creases to hold the shape. I usually swap them with control loops when It's time to work on the highpoly but I'm considering keeping them and trying out the Zbrush workflow. Still not sure. Feedback on this would be apreciated.

Also, should I avoid a subdiv workflow at this stage, since it can be slower?

Have a nice day!

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Not exactly a weapon "modeler", so can't say much but this question:
    Also, should I avoid a subdiv workflow at this stage, since it can be slower?

Is answered to me by this top of the post:

I developed a serious itch to go back to my roots and focus on 3d modeling.

Subd is a part of modeling since you wanted to go back to modeling I'd say you are doing what you wanted by going back to the roots.