Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[GODOT4] 3D Winter Game Environment (seeking critics, opinions, ideas...)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
jedenjenda23 polycounter lvl 6
INTRO
Hello polycount. After taking a look on my portfolio I realized that there is not really any work reflecting my current skill ever since I started working in games (4 years ago).

The reason I am creating this post is so I can track my progress here and it is also supposed to hold me accountable for finishing this. (I have a lot of unfinished stuff in my closet : ) )

WHAT I WANT TO ACHIEVE
- create 3D environment for a fictive FPS/TPS game using Godot 4 engine
- test Godot's pipeline and capabilities to carry AAA quality level
- the environment will be walkable - not only composition for one or few screenshots (as this is most common to do), I will also provide a build so anyone can wonder around the level

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND CRYTICIZE ANYTHING YOU SEE ;)

Current progress (blocking out colors and shapes)

Replies

• jedenjenda23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #01
    The environment is inspire by 18th century painting of Dutch people skating on frozen canals. I will try to put something lighearted into environment story as well. As you can see the main focus point of this scene is a town bridge entrance gate. The town it self will be low fidelity vista asset but the rest of the environment will be traversable. I also put a lonely cabin at the edge of the forrest for players to explore.
    There are still some improvements for the terrain, layout and reference gathering to be done, but the overall idea is roughly there. 
    - blockout done
    - basic reference list done
    - started working on asset list (currently in progress)
    - exported blockout into Godot to test collisions, setup and to establis pipeline (using .Gltf format)
    - got FPS controller working (reused one of the templates for now)

• jedenjenda23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #01 - part 2
    - asset list and reference board (only parts just to get an idea)

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Looking forward to see what the latest Godot is capable of. I've kinda been thinking of steering away from UE5 (and Unity as well), and maybe trying Godot one day. If you can pull this off with a triple A quality, it may even bring more people using Godot and/or support its development. (;
  • MagitonArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagitonArt keyframe
    This looks pretty good Jeden! Can't wait to see more.
  • jedenjenda23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to see what the latest Godot is capable of. I've kinda been thinking of steering away from UE5 (and Unity as well), and maybe trying Godot one day. If you can pull this off with a triple A quality, it may even bring more people using Godot and/or support its development. (;
    Yeah, I believe that it is possible, because technically, there is no missing feature in terms of rendering options. I even found out that it has much better Import pipeline than unreal or unity hehe :)
  • jedenjenda23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #02
    - continuing with new shapes since the environment was kind of boring.
    - blocking out some rough colors as well to test the overall mood 
    - temp lighting

• jedenjenda23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE #03 
    updated soroundings
    blockout seems to be done so next will be shader setup for texturing