Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Environment] [UE5] Prospector Saloon - Fallout New Vegas

Anura_Interceptor
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5
I've been working on this scene for a few months, had a month of mentorship with Mak Malovic a month ago, and finished a month with Josh Rife just today. Starting to get pretty close to the polishing stage, definitely need some texture refinements all over the place and some more clutter objects. Anyone have good tips for glass shaders in UE5? These are raytraced, translucent blend mode, default lit shading model, surface forward shading lighting mode. I'm using a mid-value of metalness to fake it a bit, saw that in a glass material pack I looked through for reference.

Here's my current setup for the glass shader, pretty basic. Might have to try something that's procedurals and constants for 90% of the process then adds a dust mask at the very end like I've seen some glass materials do.
Also, is there a quick fix to override raytracing to off for this niagara vfx piece? It looks fine without it and I don't know enough about vfx to adapt it to raytracing, I just followed a tutorial and adjusted it until it fit the scene.

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! While I being work in progress, I think the place currently looks a bit clinical and empty. Ideally the mood/atmosphere alredy comes across in blockout stage imo. I recommend including reference images in the thread too, so viewers can understand what you're going for.

To prevent lowering quality on individual assets and overworking, you could consider splitting the project up into multiple ones (like individual assets).

Regarding materials I would keep it simple, reusing ones from sample projects - or even more simple, find design solutions: Windows could be so dusty that's impossible to see through, pasted with newspaper boarded up or broken/non-existent.

Keep it up!
  • Anura_Interceptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    *snip*
    Good point, adding the main reference below. I'll try looking around for some sample projects or megascans objects to copy materials from, tech side of things has taken up too much time as is.

• Anura_Interceptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More polishing work on the caustics, grabbed some old royalty free posters and did editing to one of them to make it fit the fallout universe, got the cash register into a pre-polish state, working on the radio next, then it's on to tableware and plates so I can go all out with clutter and chaos. Got a vacation starting tomorrow, hoping to recover from some burnout by the time I get back to this.

• Anura_Interceptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to update this for a while. My mentor suggested a rough polish pass before doing more hero asset work, been slowly going through the checklist of improvements he suggested. Just got splinter decals and damaged wall variants implemented.