Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character sculpt

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
BlueChaos polycounter lvl 2
Hey all! New project, following some advice from a mentor :] 

I'm planning on sculpting this to make my portfolio feature more zbrush sculpts! 
Concept is by me for once :D The bulk of the sculpting will be the guts, and the hands.

The first few days, I got a basemesh going in Maya. I can't quite remember how long it took me, but I decided to take the time and make a hand basemesh which turned out better than I thought. I hope it will be useful!

I really wanted to run this basemesh through some critiques, but couldn't really find who to ask. So please, if you have anything to say, go ahead! I want the anatomy to be perfect perfect, besides stylised proportions. It's only a basemesh, but if there's anything already looking weird, I'd love to know

In the mean time, I'll start sculpting :D 

Catch ya later, probably today!

-Blue

Replies

• BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An hour and a half later, I managed to whip this up!

I'm somewhat happy with this already, but I'll try and look at more references to get these as accurate as possible. After correcting the anatomy and proportions, I'll add the very tiny details like wrinkles, as well as nails, and fuse the fingers to the hands finally, then make a clean cut at the wrist and decide to add bones or not.

Can anyone tell me if they spot anything weird/ wrong please 👉👈 I currently can't ask anyone for feedback so I only got this place, it would be very much appreciated.

Catch you later!

Blue
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    What's wrong with the poor creature ?
    First if you are going to sculpt so many different hand gestures I suggest to start with few hand studies while keeping everything simple and boxy
    Id say rib cage is not long enough leaving big gap between rib cage and pelvis . hand proportions and gestures are all off , dont try to invent them just look at your hand lol . In concept she is twisting a lot and I  don't get that feel from your block out
    Also find some rhyme or reason for why hands are where they are

• BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and critique so thoroughly carvuliero!

I'm a bit sad this does not communicate the feeling I wanted people to feel, they're not supposed to look miserable. I suppose I need some more practice!

The message I had posted above was supposed to showcase a sort of rough study, I suppose the quality is not there either then, do you suggest I just make 5 more of these before jumping in? Using my own hand as reference, or anatomy books?
    To clarify, I've done all the hand poses present with my own hand to make sure they made sense (gesture wise, not proportion wise. I'll admit the proportions were rushed) 

As for the big thigh gap, is it ok if I don't include it? I might be wrong but I feel like it makes the character too thin for my liking.

I'll take the time to study everything you included in your critique for sure, I can already see how it will help in improving this massively. :] Thank you again!
    Next post will be focused on correcting everything.

If any other kind person has something to say, please go ahead! As said previously, I want to make the anatomy really accurate and pleasing to look at. Thank you in advance  <3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: I sorted through the feedback and made a plan of attack. Putting it here so I don't forget

HANDS:
    1) do more 3d hand studies before jumping in 
    2) make a hand drawn diagram of what you find out
    3) have the positions in space make more sense. draw out the invisible arm connections and line them up. but also, consider arcs.
    4) when seen from above, wrist should be thinner than palm of the hand. fingers align with the palm.
    5) on the hand, middle right, thumb base and thumb should be bigger.
    6) same hand, consider arcs.
    7) on the hand, middle left, the position could be more natural. Take the pose and reference.
    8) hand bottom left, the thumb should be more forward.

HEAD:
    1) fix the hair on the head to look more accurate to concept
    2) place the eyes.
    3) make the head look less shit from the side
    4) think about the suggested twist. It's not present on concept but probably looks nicer

TORSO PIECE (torso belly hips legs):
    1) rib cage twist, I'm conflicted. Discuss possibilities.
    2) longer, thinner rib cage
    3) higher trapezius.
    4) define the clavicle more
    5) add pectoralis connection to the arm. i'll admit i wanted to do it during the sculpt but it can be added now
    6)  add the rib cage middle bones as future reference (sternum, possibly ribs as well)
    7) add the additional hole meant to represent the heard symbolically
    8) groin shape. Better luck doing this in sculpt but I can attempt doing it hard surface
    9) thigh shapes, especially inwards 
    10) think about thigh gap.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most useful will be to do few simplify hands so you can commit to memory major forms and planes then will be easy to pose them the way you like
    Below is example with few different level of complexity , doent matter how simple actually is as long as you can learn forms and planes
    "To clarify, I've done all the hand poses present with my own hand to make sure they made sense (gesture wise, not proportion wise. I'll admit the proportions were rushed) "
    :: Then you should push the pose or look closely to your hands :)  People talk with their hand try some acting also use a mirror to see the back side

"As for the big thigh gap, is it ok if I don't include it? I might be wrong but I feel like it makes the character too thin for my liking."
    :: That will depends wider hip -> legs far apart ,skinny legs will make the distance appear even bigger pose matter too , my drawing was to show that legs doesnt start at the middle
    Use your own hands its all you need just have to switch  to form and plane mode and ignore everything else and if you have anatomy for sculptors there some nice collection useful tips
    Maybe check Robert Liberace he leaves really cool ghost like movement effect in his paintings

• BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no see!
    Due to some real life stuff I wasn't able to post for a while. I've been studying anatomy a lot on paper past month, and I really needed it!

I still don't have much to post concerning this project, besides the fact that I attempted to pose a skeleton inside, (Thank you Fabricio Works!) to see if things made sense.
    I'm not quite sure if it looks believable, but there's definitely some underlying issues with the way I had my model originally.

When the skeleton is done, I'll start layering muscles :]

(The head is so huge!!)

Blue
  • BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!

I had completely stashed this project to the side, because it intimidated me a lot. Instead of leaving it in forever hiatus because I'm not at the level I want to be, I just decided to get into it, even if it's not perfect, and tweak it along the way!

I still tried to use past feedback of course, and it proved massively helpful. Thank you so much carvuliero! B)

Here are a few screenshots of the current state. I decided to start with a symmetrical model instead of asymmetrical, for reasons you can imagine.

I've already started working on the gears that will be present on the face, but I believe next step will be to merge the horn base with the facial pattern, either that or start working on the hollow in her body as to not get too lost into details.

Please let me know if you have any thought, whether it would be about bad design, anatomy, future ideas etc!! I love to hear it all :]

(Last thing I wanted to note for future reference, I read up on a technique called "primitive blocking" on Twitter the other day, it's the best!! I think I will use it forever. Have a good day!)
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small suggestion that usually do miracles for me Extend her legs fix pelvis area and delete what you don't need

• BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a bit more today :]

Here's a list of what i tackled!

>extended the things, following carvuliero's advice. I'll trim them later!

> detailing the horn base
    This proved a bit harder than expected, I wanted to add additional sculpted on rings, but the result wasn't as satisfactory as the clean shapes I can get with primitive sculpting.
    I went ahead and added the little tendrils coming out of the horn base, and don't know how I feel about them so far. They definitely add something to the silhouette, but also they feel out of place, as they don't have other elements to echo their shape currently.

> create clean hollows for the eye cavities
    The future eyes are planned to be transparent, almost like frosted glass.
    I achieved a clean hollow shape by duplicating the eyes, scaling them a little, and the using live booleans. It was easier than expected!

>create a clean hollow for the torso and heart
    I had planned to do this later as this would break symmetry, but when playing around with live booleans, I thought it could be tackled now since it's a dynamic system!
    I have yet to figure out how to create the metal wire border around it, in a way that looks good, convincing, and regular in width.
    I also want to play around with this shape more before tackling what will be inside. I would like it to look like it has a beveled border.

> merge horn base with face growth
    I had a plan to add perpendicular shapes to merge the two together, but when I tried, it didn't turn out. So instead of this, I added rings to the face growth, to have the two objects merge together visually. I will leave the rest of the growth free of details, so things aren't too cramped.
    With this I believe the face and horn are at the level of detail that I want. I will leave them alone for now

>fix up the anatomy
    I had a friend help me with a critique, which was super nice of him!! Following his advice, I tweaked a few things. It may have been a bit late to work on such profound changes, but better late than never!

>>1 neck tilt, and whole body position in side view
    One tip that really helped me during this, is that the collarbone and the start of the legs shouldn't be aligned! the collar bone starts far back, to the same point as the middle of the thigh.
    The model I used also had the deltoid tiled back a little, and not flat the way I had it.
    Pushing the torso back and the pelvis forward helped a lot in making everything else look better too, including the stomach and guts area that looked odd before.
    (I later tweaked the legs to make them reach further back, which removed the feeling of lack of balance.)

>> 2 the shoulder blade area.
    The top of it was too rounded and visible, it was not well connected to the deltoid. The area also looks better with the spine more apparent.

>>3 rework the clavicle area.
    The "u" shape was very pronounced. I decided to change it for something more natural looking.

That will be it for today! Please let me know if you see anything i should fix that's not listed below.

TO DO:
    -add some bones sticking out from the wrists, arm and thighs.
    -create a bevel on the torso cavity
    -create the organs/bones in the hollow

-detail/figure out the hair strands more. positioning is good for now, but some don't look good.
    -retouch the ear. It's not as refined as the face
    -import gears, and place them on the face (currently the face has enough detail)

-create clean outlines for the torso and other pieces (i will probably try this in maya or blender
    -think about making more hands, it might be cooler if they all had different poses.

(´▽`ʃ♡ƪ)

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the sculpt got thinned out a lot, and you lost a little bit of the strong shapes you had in the lowpoly blockout. Really cool concept though, looking forward to where you take it!
  • BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback Michael!
    I do agree that some of the nicer shapes got lost, at the moment I'm not sure how to retrieve them or what to do about it.
    If l’m analysing things correctly, there's a balance to strike between an anatomically correct sculpt, and stylisation (and that's what I'll have to play with). I'll have to think about what to do for sure, thank you for pointing it out :)
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I feel making the cutout deeper will make for a more extreme midsection. The cutout of the lower body could then be shaped similar to a bowl, on the torso accentuate the lats/ribcage. Bringing back some counterpoise would increase dynamism. Rough overpaint:
    Keep it up!
  • BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like a great idea Fabi-G!
    Thank you for taking the time to overpaint, the effect is really convincing. It would also bring things closer to the concept art, so double win!
    As for the counterpoise, I'm still intending to work with symmetry for now so if that's alright, I will add it later when rigging :D it looks so good in your rendition, I'll try hard to make it look just as good!
  • BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! I managed to do two things today,

First of all I got a sketch going for the ribs, and what will be the heart. I honestly like the way the ribs look already, so I might leave them as is.

Next up I played around with how to do the bevel on the chest cavity for a long time before figuring things out with live booleans. On the chest cavity subtool I masked the area I wanted to be more deep than the cavity, and created a new subtool from this. It looks a bit more man-made now, which is what I was aiming for.  I'm expecting it to look better with the future metallic border around the cavity as well.

Lastly I went ahead and tried detailing the hair a bit more. This was definitely a time sink which I regret quite a bit, but at least it's done! I spent a while fixing some intersections that were looking rough as well.

If anyone here has tips on how to make better stylised hair without the use of hair cards for now, I'd be really interested! Definitely the hardest part of the workflow for me so far.

Even if it doesn't look like a lot, that'll be it for today!

Next up, I still have to:

-Finish detailing the hair strands that need it, but shouldn't go overboard
    -sketch up how I want the ears to actually look, they aren't satisfactory for now. (lacking some secondary and tertiary details)
    -apply changes to the ears

-sketch up exactly how I want the future organs to look, as well as the heart. If I leave them as plain as in the concept, they will be bland.
    -block out the organs

-add some bones sticking out from the wrists, arm and thighs. (I have to research how they look at the cutting angles I chose, even if I'm planning for things to be stylised like the ribs)

-import gears, and place them on the face

-make more hand poses

In maya later before I start the retopo:
    -create clean outlines for the torso and other pieces (i will probably try this in maya or blender

( *︾▽︾) see you

• BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!
    Today, some paintover + concept art, to understand where I wanted to go in the future with this.

Included are ideas from the original concept art but a little more refined, some changes to previously modelled things, and some new elements I want to include.

Notably I want the metal bands around the hands, thighs and torso cavity to be a lot wider.

Currently unsure about the porcelain patterns, they're only temporary and will be done in texture anyway, but I wanted to get a general look of where things would be going! It was a very insightful decision.
    (I also want to note that colour calibration is still an issue on the tablet I used and I did not think to do colour tests before calling it a day, so the following images are more desaturated than intended.)

If anyone has feedback or ideas about this design/the changes I'd be eager to hear it! I recognise that my choice are not to everybody's taste but still want to make this piece as appealing as possible, so don't hesitate to mention anything you don't like and why, even if it's subjective.

Cheers! :]

• Taetravis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue!!! this is dope i love the concept i also like the steampunk,skeleton vibe of it do you plan on adding any clothing or any jewelry? and also what's with all the hands is that different hand ideas? or does  the creature have all those hands? 
  • BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Teatravis!! Thank you so much for the kind words, it's super encouraging! 😊
    I don't plan on adding clothing so far, as it never came to mind when doing the concept or the sculpt.
    As for jewellery, I plan on adding quite a bit of metal already. If some areas end up too plain I might revisit the idea, thank you so much for suggesting it!
    The hands are part of the character itself yes, but stylistically the seem a little too different from the main body I'll talk about this at the end of this message :D

The idea behind multiple sets of hands is both borrowed from depictions of hindi deities, and inspired from the multiple sets of hands that often come with pose-able figurines, like Nendoroids, or even simply ball jointed dolls!
    That's also the reason why the character is so disjointed, it's meant to remind the viewers of the joints some custom dolls might have.
    I hope it makes more sense with some context!

Here's an update alongside this reply.
    I've been quiet for the past few days as I wanted to be less spammy, but I think it's been long enough, so here is what I've been working on!

I modified the ears to fit the paint over, and finished detailing the hair, putting a focus on speed.
    Less notably, I placed the cuts on the arms and thighs where I wanted them with booleans so I can move them around if they don't work out later.
    I then placed rudimentary shapes for the sticky-out bones, one for the humerus, and each hand received two bone tips, one for the ulna and one for the radius.

I then was in a Maya mood, and created the missing gear pieces for the head, as well as the chains for the horn bauble, and the heart (low poly, high poly and base uvs.)

I'll assemble things in Maya as planned, after the retopology.

I also took some time to start on the organs! They were a little plain by only following the concept, so I added some more sprout like things, sourced directly from the horn growth for a feeling of unity. This might need some more tweaking, but I'll handle that a bit later if I notice problems.

That's it for today! Here's a list of what I still have to do next :]

-make the plants inside the cavity.. maybe in maya for the stem part? I feel like maya is better for tube-like stuff.
    -figure out what to do about the chest cavity booleans. They are making my computer lag, so applying them might be good, i feel happy with their shape.
    -make more hand poses, maybe
    Tangent: I need to think of what to do about the hand stylisation. Currently I think it's interesting that they're more detailed than the body, it gives creepy vibes which I personally appreciate, but I don't want it to be too off-putting.
    Solution: so far the porcelain body is simple, while the blue growth is detailed, so the hands could be blue. I thought about this for a few days and think it might be a good

-retopology

-place the horn jewelry
    -place the gears on the face
    -place the heart, tweak it if it doesnt fit
    -create clean outlines for the torso and other pieces. Not with an even thickness like originally intended (like a string), but more like a ribbon.

Catch you next time! ( •̀ ω •́ )✧ We're getting there!!
  • Taèe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow looks really good I start second semester next week and our school uses zbrush and maya auto desktop do u use those as well?
  • Taèe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw this is the Same taè I forgot my account so I had to make a new one 
  • BlueChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, Zbrush and Autodesk Maya so far!! If you have the energy to spare I'd invite you to learn Blender on the side as well, personally I'm regretting not having done it after finishing my studies :]
  • Taèe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks so much I will learn that