Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Persian Guard

insane polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pav3d insane polycounter

Hello!

After not doing anything realistic for a while I wanted to return to it, so this time im doing a Persian guard, loosely based in the Sassanian period.

This painting by Ludwig Deutsch was the main inspiration for the lighting and mood of the final piece.

The model is a bit far in the high poly but can all still be changed so Id be appreciative of any feedback!

Feathers will be remade properly at the texturing stage.

Head still needs some refinement and pores/wrinkles

Her axe

Here is the mood board compiled at an earlier blockout stage

Replies

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

i am late!, looking forward to it.

• Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hello,
    Been a while but I have been working on her. Spent a lot of time in Unreal doing material work and figuring out MRQ (Missed how easy it was to render in Marmoset :sweat_smile: ) As well as texturing, designing embroidery and engraving, and endless texture tweaking!

Now to continue posing!
  • hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Thanks @hwaminjung =)

Wrapped up on posing, and I can say this is finished! Lots of learning done in Unreal

• MagicMeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw this on artstation earlier today and just had to stop and stare for a while! Really excellent work, I'm motivated and impressed.
    Edit: looking at the final textures compared with the block out phase, I'm curious about the embroidery. Is that done on a separate mesh from the rest of the tunic, or is all of the tunic one singular mesh that is divided up into separate textures?
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Hey thanks @MagicMeister
    The kaftan has multiple UV sets, the first is the usual for the bakes
    The second is where the embroidery is tiled, then both normal maps are blended together in unreal.
    Each tiled embroidery has its own material and then various masks allow for things like damage and dirt to be overlayed on top.
    This is the main reason I made this in unreal as its material editor allows for more complex materials.

View in 3ds max, Kaftan normal only

Embroidery normals added, seperated but not blended
    Requires the underlying mesh to be built to support the embroidery trims (similar to doing environment art assets)

Tangent view in Unreal, The folds and damage from the Kaftan are blended on top of the Embroidery

View of the Embroidery material, the preview looks a bit broken since it can only visualise the uv space in 1:1

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Gorgeous work! I've seen that kind of multiple UV set method used for stitches, I need to give it a go for something more complex! Thanks for the breakdown
  • MagicMeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's extremely generous of you to share your process, thank you!
    I've often wondered how I would tackle layered embroidery, if it would be an entirely separate piece of geometry or something like this that can be layered in texturing. Hopefully I can adopt a workflow like this when I get to texturing on my current project. Again, thanks for your breakdown that's really awesome to see.

Edit: did you project that embroidery pattern onto the high poly at some point in order to plan out where the support loops needed to go on your base mesh, or did you just model the loops where you wanted it to go and then project the pattern in texturing before baking out the normals?
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Gorgeous work! I've seen that kind of multiple UV set method used for stitches, I need to give it a go for something more complex! Thanks for the breakdown
    Thanks! Its essentially the same sort of workflow, i used it on the stitching on the boots and trousers

Edit: did you project that embroidery pattern onto the high poly at some point in order to plan out where the support loops needed to go on your base mesh, or did you just model the loops where you wanted it to go and then project the pattern in texturing before baking out the normals?
    No problem :)
    So i created the low poly for the Kaftan as normal.

I then used slideknit, a max script that flattens out a model into its UV shape, which allows you to conform models to specific areas of it surface.
    on top of the UV shape i created strips of embroidery that were controlled by a spline. These strips were then conformed to the mesh using skin wrap
    Embroidery Strip:

Embroidery Strip conforming to the low poly:

I then combined all these meshes and cut the embroidery into low poly. A very time consuming task :P
  • MagicMeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for all of the insight and getting to see under the hood with your process, it's a huge help to someone like me who has the art skills but is still putting together the technical, software side of things. It does seem time consuming, but at the end of the day the result speaks for itself and I hope I can incorporate something like this using Blender as my primary low poly asset software. My current project doesn't have any traditional, emboridered clothing like this... it's all fantasy leather pieces and metal armor, but I'm sure I will come across something in the coming months and I'll definitely be referring back here to see if I can piece together a similar workflow.

Great work

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Hot damn, your materials work is superb!!
    And thanks for sharing your process too!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    as usual very beautiful and inspiring work