Home Technical Talk

Zbrush- Can you PERMANENTLY disable 'save undo history'?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Silverthunder polycounter lvl 2

For the love of god, please someone help me. Is there a way to permanently disable 'save undo history' in zbrush? Having it on by default is perhaps the most idiotic thing I've ever come across when modeling... It's crashed my project multiple times after having forgotten to turn it off again when jumping back to previous saves, or going through ridiculously sized auto saves.

Also- if anyone knows where to look for the undo history on the save file, that would be appreciated as well.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

if you save as ztl not zpr, there will be no undo history involved.

i personally prefer ztl over zpr anyways, as i can have multiple of these open, but always only just one project.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

I'm with Neox, never use project save, always save the tool. My laptop wont open a zb file over 5 gig and projects hit that size very quickly. Also I have a file set up in the start folder which has a simple ball, the right screen size and backdrop in portret and landscape formats to start models from. Keep an eye on your quicksave settings. Delete these files each time you start a new piece. Keep the 2 sliders at the top centred, skip history and optimized activated and max quicksaves to 3. Clear out your temporary internet browsing cach, temp and %temp% files regularly. I use a free utility called Disk space fan to see what files are where and almost always end up fishing out zb stuff.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

make changes to how history operates under preferences. after changing preferences settings, you'll have to manually store the configuration. save the file in a customization folder to keep those settings for when zbrush updates.

additionally, consider adding a delete history button and store config button to your interface (this also needs to be saved after it's changed).

• Silverthunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silverthunder polycounter lvl 2

Thanks a million everyone! Exactly the feedback I was hoping for ^.^ still a little new to sculpting, so I guess I was just rather salty when working on a particularly big project, and thus mind a little muddled for figuring out preventative measures.