Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Death Mech

AtomicArmy
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I'm creating this mech along with a diorama and I'm needing of some guidance on my approach. I can already say that I've been working on this mech way too long so I'm not worried about the design, just mainly how the overall composition is executed. Anyways, how is the scene looking so far? I can say something looks wrong (maybe more trees and such), but I'm not sure what's wrong with it. What do you think?

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Well apart from the obvious things like lack of textures and flat lighting, there's also the fact that the edges of your model are very sharp. Also i think i can see some normal issues here and there.
    Getting back to composition, the contrast between the very dark ground and the all white material is not very pleasant. Maybe try a wintery setting. Or add some camo to the mech.

• tythomas063
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Nice work! Mech is looking pretty awesome although I suggest you to make the edges more smoother that Teodar32 mentioned above. 

Your composition definitely need to be improved. Right now it's looking very bland and uninteresting. There is no story in this. It is just standing in middle of the ground like it's clueless what to do next. I suggest you to make a pose for the mech to stand as it was about to fight and shoot at others. Or You can make a pose where the mech is kneeling while looking up as it was wounded or something. Basically you want to tell a story through its' pose. Titanfall 2 can be a great reference for that. 

For the landscape composition, something like a triangle composition will work well for this. You need to add some kind of dynamic to your landscape. Right now it looks sorta uniformly and evenly. Since the mech is the main focus, it should be about 70% of your composition while there will be about 30% of landscape in your scene. Your scene has more landscape that is overpowering the mech. 

Something Like this will work :  (please excuse my crappy drawing since i was doing it with my mouse quickly lol ) 

These dioramas are perfect example that they have some kind of dynamic in their composition and right amount of landscape under their hero props: 

Highpoly Render

Fan Art Spider-Man Vs DrOctopus Diorama

Hope these pictures helps and good luck on your project! Can't wait to see it finished! Your mech is looking pretty badass! 
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback and comment! It really helped me a lot on figuring out composition and balance. I have a few more renders in Marmoset Toolbag 4. The texturing is done just need to work on terrain, trees and adding FX to it. How is this so far? Also I'm still working on the lighting.

Update:

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

I think I'm going to go ahead and call this done!

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Added Mushroom Cloud behind it.

Now I'm calling it done.
    Feedback will be appreciated!

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the update again, I wasn't too pleased with the effects and trees so I removed them.

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May I have some feedback please?