Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Holy Grail Tutorial | Easy ornament bake in Marmoset and Substance

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
iammalte interpolator
Hey folks! As I finished my last prop I used some different methods to place my ornaments instead of sculpting them in Zbrush so I decided to make a tutorial out of it. Hope you enjoy!

Replies

• AFsoft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AFsoft polycounter lvl 8
    good work !
    isnt it possible to do things like this in substance painter ? i think there is a method you could go with mirroring things.. 
  • iammalte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @AFsoft Thanks!
    Not exactly sure what you mean. Ornament mirroring or details? To which method are you referring to? 
    Maybe share it here as well!
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I think @AFsoft is reffering to radial mirroring.

I'm a bit confused tbh, i would have used floating geometry and SP stencils for the ornaments and the low poly would have been a lot less detailed.
    Of course each of us has his / hers preferred way of doing things and that is great.
    Thanks for the tut!
  • iammalte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @teodar23 Thanks for your positive feedback and mentioning! Yeah there are so many ways in creating things and I just wanted to share how to place ornaments in Painter as imo it's really quick to do so. In Zbrush it does take time and creating your own floaters does too.

Just out of curiosity - how would you create floating geometry which tiles around a round mesh seamlessly?
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Depends on the program i guess but in max i would tile a mesh with array tool and then bend around (if its a radial object like yours) then use conform to bring it on the surface of the object. It will require some math to get the circumference just right and maybe some tweaking but its doable.
    If you want visual aid for this think of how you would model a high poly tire. Or better yet 
    https://youtu.be/PcIu2hIO4Og
    Skip to about 35 mins mark
  • iammalte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @teodar23 Cool, thanks for sharing and your opinion. 
    I think in my tutorial it's more like a shortcut since the artist don't have to fiddle around, tweaking or doing math.
    All bend/adjust workflows I know or heard of but I think a simple placement in substance and export-> curvature bake is saving you a lot of time and that's basically my intension instead of sculpting, bending or tweaking for many hours.

Thanks again for sharing some more workflows!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Interesting, appreciate the breakdown.

As teodar mentioned, many available techniques to achieve the same goal so imho essentially boils down too preference, outside of work.
  • AFsoft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AFsoft polycounter lvl 8
    iammalte said:
    @AFsoft Thanks!
    Not exactly sure what you mean. Ornament mirroring or details? To which method are you referring to? 
    Maybe share it here as well!
    didn't want to confuse you. sorry. just a thought of me.. 
    https://youtu.be/tq_mKoXRlNI
    teodar23 said:
    I think @AFsoft is reffering to radial mirroring.

I'm a bit confused tbh, i would have used floating geometry and SP stencils for the ornaments and the low poly would have been a lot less detailed.
    Of course each of us has his / hers preferred way of doing things and that is great.
    Thanks for the tut!
    exactly. i think you could go with painting process with substance painter on highpoly as well. as there are many limits.. but yeah. 
  • iammalte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    @teodar23
    Thanks for mentioning!
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I've started using a lot of floating geo with height/displacement for smaller details, instead of modeling or sculpting them in to the HP. Essentially your workflow is similar, since you're also using height information on an evenly spaced high poly grid topo. Except I usually tend to get this kind of information to the final flat low poly surfaces with baked results only.: