Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Need feedback please] [WIP] Explorer's Room

Hi guys, this is my first post on polycount!
I'm a complete novice to environment art, trying something completely new and would really appreciate critiques/feedback.

This is a blockout WIP of an explorer's room. Still need to work on the lighting before I move onto modeling & so on.
I honestly have no idea how to judge this right now, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Looks pretty good for a block-out. It's kind of hard to critique it in such an early stage though. I think it could use a little more sky light and bounce light, but lighting is something you can continue to tweak until the end of the project. 

By the way, are you working from concept, reference, or imagination?
  • aerofx
    Looks pretty good for a block-out. It's kind of hard to critique it in such an early stage though. I think it could use a little more sky light and bounce light, but lighting is something you can continue to tweak until the end of the project. 

By the way, are you working from concept, reference, or imagination?
    Thanks! Yeah I understand, definitely need to flesh it out more. Lighting is also something I'll definitely need to improve thanks for that.

For the layout of the room I'm working from imagination which is also why I'm second guessing it a lot.
    For the room's structure/architecture, I looked at different references of cabins and attic rooms and combined various aspects of them.
    For the furniture/props, I thought about what furniture/props the character would have in the room, then referred to reference to make sure I'm making them fairly true to life and to scale.

When it comes to modeling/texturing I'm going to definitely use a ton of ref.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Sounds like you've got a solid plan. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out
  • valentin_baguirov
    Very cool. Just an idea to try: In the world settings, you can turn up the amount of skylight bounces to 10 and see how the scene would react, no need for more, since its point of diminishing resturns