Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Space Pirate Character

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Mimir polycounter lvl 5
A new character I started today based on concept art by Miguel Iglesias, I'm also using the likeness of Bruce Willis. Still in the very early stage of development but I'd appreciate any C&C. Had to improvise with the mechanical arm a bit as some of the shapes are a little vague, so I'm partially designing some parts.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

took a bit hope it helps.
    Think some older user made a fan made replica also of him so maybe they can chime in and maybe mention how they went about the likeness match, i tried what i could.  ./
    Moved his right eye(your left) over a touch the reference image seems to be slightly turned to the right in the photo so to compensate i did what i think you did and matched the right side over the left and just added the changes on the left as i assume you did.  I touched both ears the outter ears hid behind the inner ear in the photo (didnt want to look up technical names of the ear parts..)I also assumed you want him younger looking which is why the sagg isn't added to the model.

You are dang close so good job on your part it was tough trying to find the issues.
  • Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    @DavidCruz Thanks so much for your crit and time, I'll make the changes you mention. I didn't spend to much time on the likeness so there are multiple errors like you pointed out. I haven't got to the point of putting a spotlight overlay to compare pictures to my model, which will probably make a big difference.
  • Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Update on likeness, using the spotlight to flip between reference and sculpt helps a lot!

Polypaint test-

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Mimir said:
    Appreciate how you structured the response, some people straight ignore someone and i just delete the post maybe leave a comment, it is rude especially when asking for C&c then straight ignoring someone, appreciate the acknowledgment. 
    It did take a bit the only reason i went into the effort was because of this:
    but I'd appreciate any C&C
    Looks great, didn't know you where going for the full expression i tried to make it somewhat expressonless (sp?) = spelling? no autocorrect must be right.

Nice looking forward to more, if i could add anything maybe him back in the Die Hard 1 days might work for a futuristic warrior.  Would make a good movie so i assume they(movie writers/directors at some point) will make this a thing since they are dry on content, atm.(by some ressurection method as they did have done with old movie stars and celebrities like the holographic 2Pac.) /no need to respond to all this just ramblings really.

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Update on the Bruce Willis likeness, making him a bit younger as per feedback from 3 different peeps. Also textured him using a photo projection, which subsequently resulted in fixing issues in Substance Painter.

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Updated likeness and started experimenting with the design a little and by that I mean I removed the cyborg eye from the concept and added an eye patch :)

Eyepatch = Pirate

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Decided to experiment more with design, gave him some facial hair inspired by Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) in Black Sails. I've also decided to keep his left arm sleeveless to add some cool pirate tattoos later.

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Decided to create the hair to get a feel for what the final face would like. It took me about two days to create the cards using x-gen and placing them by hand.

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Bake test for vest and shirt, 3.4k triangles, both clothing is currently on 2k maps.

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    I've decided to create a bust instead of a full character.

Texturing WIP:

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    Gun is now textured, grunge/dirt added to the clothing and mechanical arm. Improved skin texture, added more colour variation and made the scars bloodier.

• Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    That's another character done, well at least half a character. Artstation post for more renders:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WK9ReQ

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    He looks badass, good job!
  • Mimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimir polycounter lvl 5
    He looks badass, good job!
    Thanks!