Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio criticism and feedback

Hi,

I want to have a really good Portfolio in the future and for that i would love to have some people give me criticism and feedback about my Portfolio telling me what i should improve, what Art Piece i should better delete and what i should learn i would highly appreciate that.

Portfolio:
https://www.artstation.com/martin_martschenko

Thank you for your time!

many greetings,
Martin

Replies

• defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Hey,

You should definitely try to make better use of UV space. There is also a lack of padding between UV shells.
    I would recommend to learn about trim sheets. Its the way to go for texturing buildings and environments. There are a lot of great tutorials for this.

Also make a couple of props to learn subd modeling and high-low normalmap baking process. There is a difference between a tileable texture / trim sheet and texturing a mesh / prop as unique object with Substance Painter. As an environment artist, your portfolio must show that you have mastered these basic techniques.

cheers
  • Marterion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger said:
    Hey,

You should definitely try to make better use of UV space. There is also a lack of padding between UV shells.
    I would recommend to learn about trim sheets. Its the way to go for texturing buildings and environments. There are a lot of great tutorials for this.

Also make a couple of props to learn subd modeling and high-low normalmap baking process. There is a difference between a tileable texture / trim sheet and texturing a mesh / prop as unique object with Substance Painter. As an environment artist, your portfolio must show that you have mastered these basic techniques.

cheers
    Thanks! I definitely look into that
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there and welcome to Polycount. If you'd like to ask for career advice, then Career & Education is the place. But I've moved your topic to 3D Art Showcase & Critiques, where crits normally go. Hope that's ok, and this should bring you more crit eyeballs too!
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    The Rome environment is pretty good. It could use a little more material layering to break up the large flat surfaces like the ground. It doesn't have to be super beat up and decayed, but think about where dirt and wear and tear would occur. This will help tell the story of the place and add visual variation. 

The other thing I'd focus on is paying greater attention to detail in your prop creation. The arcade cabinets in the Watchdogs environment, for example, are too simple. Where does the player insert money to play? This can be very overwhelming when creating a full environment so I'd recommend focusing on some hero props for a bit. Really push the detail in modeling and storytelling through material and texture work. Also use this to nail contemporary workflows for props (as defragger mentioned). 
  • Marterion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins said:
    The Rome environment is pretty good. It could use a little more material layering to break up the large flat surfaces like the ground. It doesn't have to be super beat up and decayed, but think about where dirt and wear and tear would occur. This will help tell the story of the place and add visual variation. 

The other thing I'd focus on is paying greater attention to detail in your prop creation. The arcade cabinets in the Watchdogs environment, for example, are too simple. Where does the player insert money to play? This can be very overwhelming when creating a full environment so I'd recommend focusing on some hero props for a bit. Really push the detail in modeling and storytelling through material and texture work. Also use this to nail contemporary workflows for props (as defragger mentioned). 
    Thanks!