Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

~UPDATED~ Maya / Zbrush modelling advice (Final Outcome)

Hi all, 

I'm new to this forum and have recently started my masters in Game Art. 

Currently I'm working on my project which is a small diorama of a Japanese bakery inspired by Studio Ghibli.

We have just started to learn how to model high poly and bake on to low poly. 

I want to model a specific oven, but am unsure of the best way to do this in terms of workflow. 

Should I start in Maya and move to Zbrush to construct high poly? Or start everything in Zbrush? 

Do you have any advice on the best way to model this? 

Many thanks for any advice / tips! 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Each program is good at building the initial shapes of different sorts.

You will be fine if you're bouncing between both this early out.  THat's what I do.  I subD model where I can.  I use Zbrush to sketch sculpt out the mroe difficult forms, and retopo it from there.
  • FinelyAtomized
    Thanks very much Brian, that's helpful :D 
  • FinelyAtomized
    Good Afternoon! 

Coming back here to post the final outcome of the oven that I created. 

The mesh is solely modeled using Maya and ZBrush and textured in Substance Painter. 

I created this by modelling multiple separate pieces and placing these around the oven. This is most prevalent for the doors. 

The legs of the oven were modeled in ZBrush and then quad drawn in Maya for the low poly mesh. 

I used the boolean tool to create the rounded pieces of the oven by the chimney. 

For the rounded panels at the bottom of the oven I used the extrude and extract tools within Maya to create the desired shape. 

As this was for my MA Game Art project, we only had 6 weeks to create a diorama so I didn't have time to add the finer details lie the decals that you see on the reference image at the beginning of this thread. 

If you are interested in seeing the final Japanese Bakery Diorama that I created, please visit: https://polycount.com/discussion/219167/updated-japanese-inspired-bakery-diorama-complete/p1?new=1

As always, any constructive feedback is welcome! 

Hope you are all staying safe during this weird time in the world!