Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

3Ds Max Script "Different commands stacking and auto cycling" under one hotkey?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
3Ds Max Script "Different commands stacking and auto cycling" under one hotkey?

So i got an idea from one little usefull script i use (didnt make just downloaded it  from somewhere).
Is it possible to, in 3ds max, create a certain script, and then assign it to a shorcut (like "U" or "SHIFT+U")?
This certain script would "stack"different commands for different subobject levels (and maybe even object level (like geometry vs spline)) and always automatically cycle through the commands to the one correct command/action conditional on what you have currently selected? And all this in ONE script, that is assign to ONE keyboard shortcut...?

Example:
If no VERTICES (VERTEX) is selected then "Target Weld", If one vertices (vertex) is selected then "Target Weld" (again), If 2 or more vertices are selected then "Weld (open Weld dialog window)" (or just "Weld").
The same goes for EDGE -If no EDGE is selected then "Target Weld", If one edge is selected then "Target Weld" (again), If 2 or more EDGES are selected then "Weld (open Weld dialog window)" (or just "Weld").
Something similiar would happen in "Polygon" subobject level= If one polygon is selected do (i dont know) - "Extrude", if 2 polygons are selected do "Bridge".
That means, different operations conditional on how many "things" in given subobject level you have selected, and different actions also for each sub object level (at least for 3 - Vertices, Edges and Polygons, Open Borders could be also usefull probably). And ALL of this in ONE script, that can be assign to one shortcut?

Is is practically possible and "easy" to do in 3ds max? Wont there be any "problems" or drawbacks? Like that it would take "too long" (like a second etc.) to auto cycle through all the available commands and automatically choose the correct one?

And would it be also possible to even include different commands not only for Editable polygon object (being it object or just edit poly modifier) BUT also for splines (all in one one macroscript, "call-able" through one keyboard shortcut)?

I would believe this would be REALLY useful to have like i dont know... maybe even 8 commands in ONE keyboard shortcut instead of like 8 keyboard shortcuts... But i dont really see such scripts around... i know really only about one that does this (and that one gave me the idea)... So is it possible without any drawbacks? Why arent there tone of scripts using this :-)...?

Replies

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Have a look at Keyhydra plugin it do more than what you ask. We offer 1 month trial at www.onikanabo.shop

for more info www.keyhydra.com or visit our YouTube channel.

i personally do everything with the K key triggered from my mouse thumb button. K key action do change with context, selection amount, sub element type, modifier type, etc ...

www.youtube.com/Onikanabo 
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, ill check it out...

i have found something similiar to what i had in mind:

So it can be written and done... why isnt there more scripts that do that? Or why hasnt it been yet implemented into 3ds max...? I really believed there is some obstacle and that it cannot be done... but obviously it can be done.

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    In order to make it possible with Keyhydra we had to re write entirely our own shortcuts system, our own structure, our own UI . Yes it can be done by script. That is what I did at the beginning back in 2010-2012. But that don’t allow to do serious and really Powerfull stuff as updating and maintaining a script isn’t user friendly at all. Keyhydra is a system user can use what they want in the context they want. We provide an instrument, people play musique. They don’t need to code at all. Autodesk is working on refactoring shortcut structure but as it took us 4 years don’t expect it soon. They made a better shortcut editor in 2019 but it isn’t supporting multi tap shortcuts or context sensitive shortcuts. This require lot of efforts user experience wise.

so yes c++ is required to do it correctly, Keyhydra is a plug-in deeply integrated inside max. Scripts cannot do that, they can just scratch the surface of what could be achieved.

Here is a direct link to the Keyhydra shortcut YouTube video playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvzrAAbC1_lWqZ8_rBFmyxvAM3LtX6Cgm